Buying DT880s, questions...
Nov 1, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphex944
That's the DT 880 in a nutshell! Have you contacted Headroom to inquire about the availibility time? They may have one in stock they can ship to you today
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately I can't order today... waiting for a loan to come in. Gonna be 3 days at least. I'll probably contact Headroom though, to see if they can work something out for me. Just seems tricky, first getting ahold of Mario to pricematch, then asking for the 10% contributor discount, then asking if they have one in stock even though the website says 2-4 weeks... did I forget something? Much easier just to plug a credit card into B&H and blammo, ordered. Call me lazy, perhaps.

Nov 1, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #17 of 27
If I can add my $.02, why don't you email toddthevinyljunkie? He will price match and has them in stock. Headroom is still on back order. How do I know? I just went through the process. Headroom emailed me they were on back order. They wouldn't match Bh Photo's price but they quoted $239 with shipping so that was fair. Probelm was they didn't have it. At the same time, I emailed Todd who replied sooner, agreed to price match and has them in stock. Add $9 for FedEx Express shipping and you're good to go!

As an aside, the 990 may be the new flagship but so what. For the recent years, the 880's have been and are well regarded. Also, the 650 is Senn's flagship yet a lot of people here prefer the 600's. At a recent meet, the 600's won out over the 650's so so much for "flagship" models.

If this is what you want, GFI. You can always upgrade later if you have the urge (you always do
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Nov 1, 2005 at 2:04 PM Post #18 of 27
I'll second falcogreg's suggestion about buying from Todd the Vinyl Junkie, that's where I purchased my DT 880's from. Todd's a great guy to do business with!!!

Nov 1, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #19 of 27
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1914.html

ResellerRatings.com is a very trustworthy source of feedback on online retailers. B&H Photo-Video-Pro Audio seems to have a great score, 9.48/10 with over 1000 reviews. I would say going through them is not a bad idea.

Nov 1, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #20 of 27
Fewtch,

I've actually bought from B&H in store back when I was into photography. The place is actually quite large. I think they are a decent place to order from, but if you think you may end up returning it, you may want to look elsewhere. I sent back a lens to them and it takes them a good couple of weeks with the package sitting somewhere in their shipping room before they actually say they've received it and that you will be credited for your return. basically, the customer service after a purchase leaves a little to be desired IMHO.

Nov 1, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by waco
I'll second falcogreg's suggestion about buying from Todd the Vinyl Junkie, that's where I purchased my DT 880's from. Todd's a great guy to do business with!!!

Another vote for Todd. I've bought repeatedly from his site over the past couple of years and been very satisfied. Pricing is competitive, and the service is second to none.
smily_headphones1.gif

BW

Nov 1, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #22 of 27
Some of us own both the DT880 and HD650 and prefer the Beyers. As for the coiled cord, you have to stretch it three or four feet before there is any tug on the headphone. If you plan to use the 'phones while sitting at a desk, or, as I often do, with a DAP and SuperMini in my shirt pocket, it's ideal. If I ever add another Beyer to my stable, I will be specifying the coiled cable. IIRC, it's now an extra cost option on the new generation.

BTW, Fewtch, the DT880 is an excellent choice for classical. I'm listening to Pinnock's recording of Bach's Brandenburgs as I write. Absolute bliss!

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayreonaut
Why not head down to your local Guitar Center and audition them? That's the best way to find out if its everything you hoped.

My local Guitar Center doesn't stock the 880's, and in fact I was told the 880's aren't even listed in their computer system
frown.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by falcogreg
If I can add my $.02, why don't you email toddthevinyljunkie? He will price match and has them in stock. Headroom is still on back order. How do I know? I just went through the process. Headroom emailed me they were on back order. They wouldn't match Bh Photo's price but they quoted $239 with shipping so that was fair. Probelm was they didn't have it. At the same time, I emailed Todd who replied sooner, agreed to price match and has them in stock. Add $9 for FedEx Express shipping and you're good to go!

OK, I'll contact Todd in a few days when I'm ready to order.... sounds like a great idea, and Fedex Saver is always very fast. Hopefully he still has some cans in stock by then. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit -- Emailed Todd, now will wait for a reply... still have to wait for a check to come in before I can order a pair, it'll be 2-3 days yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back