Buying cheap (sub-$100 USB DAC), Should I get UD100 or HifiMeDiy Sabre or something else?
Apr 13, 2013 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

subtle.desensitizer

New Head-Fier
I have a desktop with terrible onboard sound and a laptop with terrible onboard sound. I'd like a USB DAC upgrade to fix this issue.

In terms of other relevant gear, I have Ultrasone Pro 900's and a Cowon Q5W. I listen to FLAC, mainly 16 bit due to the Cowon's Limitation. I plan to purchase a amp in the near future for the Pro 900's with my primary music interest being electronic music, if that helps.

tldr; - Do I buy the UD100  or the Sabre ? I am open to other suggestions

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
I have a desktop with terrible onboard sound and a laptop with terrible onboard sound. I'd like a USB DAC upgrade to fix this issue.

In terms of other relevant gear, I have Ultrasone Pro 900's and a Cowon Q5W. I listen to FLAC, mainly 16 bit due to the Cowon's Limitation. I plan to purchase a amp in the near future for the Pro 900's with my primary music interest being electronic music, if that helps.

tldr; - Do I buy the UD100  or the Sabre ? I am open to other suggestions

If you don't have an amp yet, you will either need a DAC with an integrated amp, or get an amp now. You can't use a standalone DAC straight to headphones. I'm a big fan of the Schiit Modi, right at $100. RCA out, but if your amp has 3.5mm in, a <$5 Monoprice cable will connect them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back