Buying Blind - Have You, Would You?
Dec 29, 2003 at 9:35 PM Post #31 of 46
I've bought everything I own "blind" (or "deaf", whichever you prefer). I have made no regretful decisions. Doing extensive research helps.

I've bought:
HD-280 Pro
HD-580
DT 770
ER-4P
KSC-35
PX200

All blind. All happy.

Dec 30, 2003 at 1:36 AM Post #32 of 46
...e2's and my ears still hurt
confused.gif

Dec 30, 2003 at 1:47 AM Post #33 of 46
Have I?
I just ordered an RS-1 tonight, without ever touching them.

I've heard: Senn HD600, HD580, HD590, Grado SR-60 and SR-80. From what I've read here and elsewhere, most of what people have to say about these phones match what I've heard. Although, I haven't heard any of these phones (save the SR-60) through a headphone amp.

Sans amp, I preferred the sound out of the Grados, so I just made sure I ordered the RS-1 from a site with a 30 day return guarantee, thanks to joelongwood's direction.
smily_headphones1.gif

For those of us with limited time (me) or resources, "buying blind" may be the most convenient way to check out new phones, as long as you set aside a few minutes here & there to do a little research first.

Would I?
Depending on how my RS-1 experience goes, I may invest in a matching RA-1 amp next year, also blindly. If that goes well, I may also (blindly, most likely) order a Senn HD650 and give those a try through the RA-1. And if _that_ goes well, I may get another headphone amp that matches well with the HD650, although that will require much more research on my part. While I preferred the Grado sound over the Senns, I may appreciate the different sound of an HD650 through a matching amp.
biggrin.gif

Ahh geez. I just mapped out my financial woes for next year.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 30, 2003 at 3:09 AM Post #34 of 46
I've only recently returned to headphone listening, and I'm currently buying equipment, none of which I've had any opportunity to audition. In that sense I'm certainly "buying blind." I can do this with a measure of confidence because the Head-Fi forum threads have proved an eloquent resource in describing what I can expect in terms of sound.

You people are a remarkable resource in your ability to convey in nontechical language the auditory experience of different headphones. I know how my Grados sound. With that as a baseline I can interpret the descriptions, positive and negative, of other choices. So far that's led to the Senn 580s and the ATH-A900, and in both cases I've found Head-Fi accurate in predicting what I'm hearing.

The sonic landscape changes as I switch from one set of headphones to another, and I enjoy exploring the different perspectives. My music collection gains a new dimension that I would never have encountered without what I've learned here.

Buying blind? That may be, but it's an informed blindness, and I'm grateful for the guidance.

BW

Dec 30, 2003 at 4:26 AM Post #35 of 46
I've bought all my headphones sight unseen. But not without alot of research.
  1. Senn HD 600
  2. ER-4S
  3. ER-4P (returned it)
  4. Koss Porta Pros (x2)
  5. K1000

With exception of the Porta Pros, I've bought them from Headroom, who has a great unconditional return policy.

Oh, and my amps are all bought sight unseen too.
biggrin.gif

The only thing I haven't bought sight unseen is the RME digi96/8 PAD, although I never "saw" it, I heard it in Iron_Dreamer's computer. I was sold after that.

-Ed

Dec 30, 2003 at 5:01 AM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Chefguru
Don't you mean deaf?

Would you explain what you mean here?

Dec 30, 2003 at 6:45 AM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
I would have ripped it put of the PCI slot for you to check out, if you had asked reeeeeeeal nice
biggrin.gif

Please? Pretty please with cherries on top?
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2003 at 7:07 AM Post #39 of 46
280smile.gif

Reason I'm asking is that I'm looking at getting the HD280pro fones. I don't know whether I'll love them or hate them, but they seem to be the best closed cans in my price range (excluding Sony V6 as I dislike Sony Corp).

I'm upgrading from the most basic HD200, which while I loved when I bought them, have begun to seem unsophisticated and digital to me.

Now that I see that most people here have taken a punt on reviews and research it certainly looks like I might do the same. I might not like them, but I hope that it is worth a shot.

Scarily they are priced at $389 new zealand dollars locally ($253usd), so its a case of waiting till I see some good uns in the trading post, or strike up the courage to ask one of you generous people who have offered to forward headphones to global buyers like myself.

Any advice on international shipping? I checked Fed-ex and they seemed very expensive.

Dec 30, 2003 at 12:18 PM Post #40 of 46
I think there is a difference between buying blind and unauditioned. If you critically read a bunch of reviews and impressions, you are not totally blind. But it is very difficult to evaluate reviews without reference points of your own. You need to be aquainted with at least one of the headphones that are often referenced here. When you read how a headphone compares to a headphone you know how it sounds, reviews become more meaningful.
So you need to start somewhere and the first shot may be rather blind! Then it becomes easier.

Need I say that I have bought "blind"!

PS. An easy way is Meier-Audio that has world-wide shipping included in the price and many payment options.

Jan 1, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
Would you explain what you mean here?

Well, think about it. You really don't buy headphones blind. You see plenty of pictures. But if you buy them without listening, your buying them "deaf". Well, at least I think that's what he means. ^^;;

I myself bought my ATH-900s blind. Still waiting for them to come in the mail, but I have confidence from the reviews that they're the ones for me. Hopefully...^_^;;;

Jan 1, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #43 of 46
That does make sense. My mind was off again in another direction. For the new year I must concentrate a bit more.

Jan 1, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #44 of 46
It's all semantics too.

If you even count buying blind as meaning never having actually seen it in person and holding it in your hands, then if I bought an HE90, I'd be buying deaf. I've held those beauty's in my hands. But never heard them. Damn you, Sennheiser! What a tease! Bringing the HE90 to trade shows without a source and amp!

-Ed

Jan 1, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #45 of 46
HAPPY NEW YEAR FELLOW HEADFIERS!

I did audition most of Sennheiser's product line before buying the HD 580s. Blindly, I bought every other headphone I've ever owned. Most notably the Philips SBC-HP800, which I loved and used for almost two years. I also bought the Rega Ear amp without prior audition, though I did audition the Rega Planet 2000 cdp. Buying blind is always a risk, but auditioning is tricky too. I've auditioned and bought a Sony redbook CDP-CE375 only to regret it later. The brain can sometimes play tricks on you.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back