Buying an audio system mainly for PC at around £200.
Sep 10, 2014 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Xileize

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'd like some help with buying some speakers for my PC at around the £200 mark. My Corsair SP2500's died on me on Sunday so I need something to replace them and I figure at the point, if I want a noticeable upgrade I'm going to have to move into bookshelf speakers and the like. I have tried to look into this stuff before but I find it very overwhelming with what you need and everything so I'm looking for some assistance.

I've been doing a little bit of looking around and had the idea of getting something like a Topping TP22 and some Q Acoustic 2020i's, but I'm not sure if this is the best (or even a good) idea as I honestly have no idea what I'm doing.

I will be using it mainly on my PC for music, of which I listen to mostly Power Metal and 80s New Wave. I will also be using them to play games and would like to potentially hook them up to my TV and other games consoles, though it's not as important to me as my PC.

I'd really appreciate any kind of input you guys provide. I would like to stick to around £200 but if it gets pushed over a little bit it's not a big deal.

Thanks.

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #2 of 7
I'm really not sure what's best on the market either, but separates is a good isle to go down.
If something goes wrong in the future, you're usually not faced with expensive repairs or you can somewhat cheaply the single item that fails, instead of getting a whole new system.

If your Corsair is dead, it's probably just the internal amp - If you're not planning this already I would try to sell it for parts, I'm sure you can get a decent price for it if you're unwilling to get it repaired as it's a fairly decent piece of kit. This should help subsidise your next purchase.

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 7
  Hi guys,

I'd like some help with buying some speakers for my PC at around the £200 mark. My Corsair SP2500's died on me on Sunday so I need something to replace them and I figure at the point, if I want a noticeable upgrade I'm going to have to move into bookshelf speakers and the like. I have tried to look into this stuff before but I find it very overwhelming with what you need and everything so I'm looking for some assistance.

I've been doing a little bit of looking around and had the idea of getting something like a Topping TP22 and some Q Acoustic 2020i's, but I'm not sure if this is the best (or even a good) idea as I honestly have no idea what I'm doing.

I will be using it mainly on my PC for music, of which I listen to mostly Power Metal and 80s New Wave. I will also be using them to play games and would like to potentially hook them up to my TV and other games consoles, though it's not as important to me as my PC.

I'd really appreciate any kind of input you guys provide. I would like to stick to around £200 but if it gets pushed over a little bit it's not a big deal.

Thanks.

I just got myself a Topping TP20 Mk 2 (£45 from amazon) and am using it to drive some old Mission 731i bookshelf speakers. I use a Fiio E10 as an usb external soundcard and feed the line out from this into the Topping.

It sounds awesome: way, way better than my old 2.1 setup
biggrin.gif

I did a lot of research and went for the TP20 as it supposedly has the best of the T series amps (TA2020). It's very small, runs cool and I've no complaints about it so far.  As far as power goes, I barely have to move the volume dial from the minimum to get them loud enough for sitting at my desk. It easily gets loud enough to fill a room by about 9 o'clock on the dial. I'd say that, unless you need the 2 inputs, the TP20 should be plenty powerful for your needs.

I planned to also buy some new speakers (maybe some Wharfdale 9.1, which are very good value) but my old missions sound so good, I think I'll stick with them.

One thing to consider if you are putting passive speakers on your desk is that if they have rear bass ports (like the Q2020is) they might not like being placed close to a wall. You may find the bass gets boomy. The Wharfdales have front bass ports so, in theory, are less affected by where you place them.

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 7
  I'm really not sure what's best on the market either, but separates is a good isle to go down.
If something goes wrong in the future, you're usually not faced with expensive repairs or you can somewhat cheaply the single item that fails, instead of getting a whole new system.

If your Corsair is dead, it's probably just the internal amp - If you're not planning this already I would try to sell it for parts, I'm sure you can get a decent price for it if you're unwilling to get it repaired as it's a fairly decent piece of kit. This should help subsidise your next purchase.

I don't intend on trying to get it repaired as I wouldn't know how and I don't anyone nearby that would either, so it's probably not worth the cost. I probably will sell the satellites though.

I just got myself a Topping TP20 Mk 2 (£45 from amazon) and am using it to drive some old Mission 731i bookshelf speakers. I use a Fiio E10 as an usb external soundcard and feed the line out from this into the Topping.

It sounds awesome: way, way better than my old 2.1 setup
biggrin.gif

I did a lot of research and went for the TP20 as it supposedly has the best of the T series amps (TA2020). It's very small, runs cool and I've no complaints about it so far.  As far as power goes, I barely have to move the volume dial from the minimum to get them loud enough for sitting at my desk. It easily gets loud enough to fill a room by about 9 o'clock on the dial. I'd say that, unless you need the 2 inputs, the TP20 should be plenty powerful for your needs.

I planned to also buy some new speakers (maybe some Wharfdale 9.1, which are very good value) but my old missions sound so good, I think I'll stick with them.

One thing to consider if you are putting passive speakers on your desk is that if they have rear bass ports (like the Q2020is) they might not like being placed close to a wall. You may find the bass gets boomy. The Wharfdales have front bass ports so, in theory, are less affected by where you place them.

The speakers being too close to the wall shouldn't be an issue and they probably won't be that close.

That's good information regarding the amps, so thank you for letting me know. Everything I've read says very good things about the Q2020i's, that's the only real reason I'm considering them because like I said before, I'm completely new to this stuff!

Sep 10, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 7
  That's good information regarding the amps, so thank you for letting me know. Everything I've read says very good things about the Q2020i's, that's the only real reason I'm considering them because like I said before, I'm completely new to this stuff!

No problem! 

I'm really impressed by the little Topping amp + speakers combo. Just so much better than the 2.1 satellites on the desk + sub under the desk setup I had before. I was originaly concerned about a lack of bass not having a sub, but it's not a problem.

The Q2020is look like decent speakers, and I also considered them along with the Wharfdales. Also worth considering are Tannoy V1i, Dali Zensor 1 and Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 (a bit pricey, but look great ... ) 

Sep 10, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 7

No problem! 

I'm really impressed by the little Topping amp + speakers combo. Just so much better than the 2.1 satellites on the desk + sub under the desk setup I had before. I was originaly concerned about a lack of bass not having a sub, but it's not a problem.

The Q2020is look like decent speakers, and I also considered them along with the Wharfdales. Also worth considering are Tannoy V1i, Dali Zensor 1 and Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 (a bit pricey, but look great ... ) 

Except the Tannoy, I think the other 2 are starting to get a little too expensive. I was hoping to get both the amp and speakers for about £200, which the Dali and Monitor would start to push me beyond unless they are really that worth it over the Q2020i's.

I appreciate the help, hopefully some others will chime in and then I'll make my decision!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back