Buying advice: V-moda crossfade m80 vs Sony MDR-1R
Dec 24, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #16 of 38
  they are both used. In mint condition but used. The v-modas still have the box, recipt, etc.... the 1r's only the cables and the pouch (no box and no purchase documentation).
I love the momentums sound overall my main gripe is the fit. They are barely over ear to me and with some movement that  bad fit reflects itself on the isolation and consequentely on the bass.

If the comfort of the momentums is your primary concern, I would NOT recommend going for the M80s. They are on-ear design with pleather earpads and a very tight clamping force. They will not be more comfortable than the momentums. I've tried both and the momentums were definitely superior in the comfort area (though I also experienced what you are talking about with the real-life on-ear fit).

The Sony MDR-1R were the most comfortable portable closed over-ears I have tried and those are the headphones I would recommend for people with comfort issues. That may be a good choice for you. I actually switched over to the MDR-1R primarily because of comfort issues with the momentums/M100s.

Dec 24, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #17 of 38
I was checking your profile and you seem to have the same musical tastes as i... As a trance listener would you say that the bass on the 1rs is enough for some edm and rock enjoyment? Í saw manypeople complaining about the bass on the 1rs... I had the chance to try them only for 3 minutes oce and ít did not seem that bad... I admit though that the resolution and refinement seemed to be a bit better on the momentums
If the comfort of the momentums is your primary concern, I would NOT recommend going for the M80s. They are on-ear design with pleather earpads and a very tight clamping force. They will not be more comfortable than the momentums. I've tried both and the momentums were definitely superior in the comfort area (though I also experienced what you are talking about with the real-life on-ear fit).

The Sony MDR-1R were the most comfortable ! portable closed over-ears I have tried and those are the headphones I would recommend for people with comfort issues. That. As well as the build quality. may be a good choice for you. I actually switched over to the MDR-1R primarily because of comfort issues with the momentums/M100s.

The Sony MDR-1R were the most comfortable portable closed over-ears I have tried and those are the headphones I would recommend for people with comfort issues. That may be a good choice for you. I actually switched over to the MDR-1R primarily because of comfort issues with the momentums/M100s.

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #18 of 38
I was checking your profile and you seem to have the same musical tastes as i... As a trance listener would you say that the bass on the 1rs is enough for some edm and rock enjoyment? Í saw manypeople complaining about the bass on the 1rs... I had the chance to try them only for 3 minutes oce and ít did not seem that bad... I admit though that the resolution and refinement seemed to be a bit better on the momentums

hey pedro,

yea ithought the mdr-1rs are solid for trance. they are really great w/ rock! so my impressions were that they were a mid-centric pair of headphones (great for female vocals & guitars), very rich & lush warm sound, with a decent mid-bass boost. they are pretty colored compared to the momentums (which also had a slight bass boost from what I rmb, but the momentums did seem less colored in comparison & i wld give the edge of clarity to the momentums). however, i really enjoyed the sound signature of the mdr-1rs & i would definitely recommend them if you can find em at $200 or less. I rmb the lowest price I saw for em was $180ish. i guess if you were looking at it from a "I want the most transparent/neutral pair of headphones possible" perspective, they probably would not fit your requirements, but if you are looking for a fun sounding pair of comfortable headphones, they are really enjoyable to listen to :) they were pretty stylish too & the comfort on them was amazing compared to the momentum's on-ear fit for me. they have slanted drivers that give your ears more clearance & nice big diameter earcups.

hope that was semi-helpful & rmb that those were just my own personal experiences/opinion. ymmv :)

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #20 of 38
  hey pedro,

yea ithought the mdr-1rs are solid for trance. they are really great w/ rock! so my impressions were that they were a mid-centric pair of headphones (great for female vocals & guitars), very rich & lush warm sound, with a decent mid-bass boost. they are pretty colored compared to the momentums (which also had a slight bass boost from what I rmb, but the momentums did seem less colored in comparison & i wld give the edge of clarity to the momentums). however, i really enjoyed the sound signature of the mdr-1rs & i would definitely recommend them if you can find em at $200 or less. I rmb the lowest price I saw for em was $180ish. i guess if you were looking at it from a "I want the most transparent/neutral pair of headphones possible" perspective, they probably would not fit your requirements, but if you are looking for a fun sounding pair of comfortable headphones, they are really enjoyable to listen to :) they were pretty stylish too & the comfort on them was amazing compared to the momentum's on-ear fit for me. they have slanted drivers that give your ears more clearance & nice big diameter earcups.

hope that was semi-helpful & rmb that those were just my own personal experiences/opinion. ymmv :)

Thank you very much for the insight m8....

but when you say coloured you mean not so close to reality sounding right? One of the things i like on the momentums is the fact that despite they are a warmish headphones they are very clear. At least to my ears there is no trace of muddyness or anything bloated.

Are the 1rs that clear despite being coloured? Just to give an example the Akg k518/81 with the foams (without the foams it gets a bit better) sound bloated, muddy and not clear at all....

I would love to get the kefs or the amazing b&w p7's trunk but unfortunatelly i am not rich..... XD

I got the momentums because they were on sale in a store here in Portugal.... they usually are sold between 300 and 250 in europe and i got yhem new for 160 euros (they costed 200 but on the weekend i bought them there was a 20% discount on all headphones). So even if i ditch the momentums i will not get something much more expensive and even the ked are closer to the 250 euro price point.

I prefer bargains.... XD 

Got my hd25's for 70 euros (but they basically costed me 55 because i made a fantastic deal with a pair of ath-m50's at the time)
Got my aurvana lives for 35 euros (the guy who sold them to me had bought them 2 weeks agor for 60)....

The 1r's at 90 euros seem like a better deal than the 100 euro m80s because i have right now a pair of hd25's as on ears and also i believe in the future it wiil be even cheaper to buy a pair of m80's since they are being discontinued (although they are sold here in europe for almost 200 euros and that is a rip off since you guys are getting yours on radioschaks for 50 dollars.... ;( ).

Confort aside wich to you sounded better money? The 1r's or the m80's? Wich one do you think was a better all rounder not only in terms of sound quality but also in terms of Home/street headphone?

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #21 of 38
1R is nothing above average with those genres. You can find better, particularly in your momentum, or a kef m500.

mmm i agree that you can def find better headphones out there (if you weren't considering budget)... but at the $124 usd price point, I doubt there are any other closed portable headphones that can compete with it. remember the MDR-1Rs were released at $300 price point to compete w/ the momentum, akg k550, and m100 type headphones, and there were many people here who preferred them over the alternatives at that price point.

@Pedro Oliveira,
hahah, I love bargains too!!!! i've never gotten a pair of headphones full MSRP. i feel like headphones are already really highly marked-up nowadays so unless i can get a deal on em, i wouldn't even consider keeping them hahaha. i personally think the p7 is severely overpriced after demoing them shortly, and I won't get the m500 as I don't like on-ears & i personally think $300 for on-ears is too pricey. (both personal opinions lol!)

mmm when I say colored (no u 
wink.gif
) i mean they are not neutral & most likely not a flat frequency response if you measured em. i wouldn't say that they don't sound realistic (female vocals were very well done on the mdr-1rs imo), but more like they were EQed. i think that the 1r's bass was slightly looser & bleeds a tiny bit more compared to the momentums (but I wldn't call MDR-1R's bass muddy or bloated). their clarity wasn't as good as the momentums but it wasn't that big of a difference. i thought the biggest difference was just the sound signature. as i said before, I really enjoyed the way they sounded their sound signature & it works really well w/ all genres (as long as you aren't grading on their ability to be perfectly flat neutrality)

i've never tried the k518, but after quick search i see that they are sometimes mentioned as basshead headphones. the mdr-1r would never be mistaken for basshead headphones, so I would assume that the coloration & warm bass of the 1r shouldn't sound anything like the akg k518. but i've never heard em, so i don't know. the 1r's bass was def not muddy or bloated in my opinion.

i guess the way i would characterize the mdr-1r is that there is a coloration, but it's a very smooth lush coloration, so nothing sounds out of place. the bass is nice & full without being overpowering. the trebles are sweet without being too sharp. i would describe it as very "smooth" (hopefully that's not an audiophile word, because i just mean everything feels very smooth).

they aren't breath-takingly crisp & clear like some headphones I've tried (eg. the akg k550s which I felt like was on another level compared to both the momentums/mdr-1rs... tho the k550 definitely did struggle w/ bass quantity), but everything on the 1rs was very rich & "smooth" lol. definitely had a lot of detail & everything did sound pretty clear.

i would definitely pick the 1r's sound over the m80 (but note, I didn't spend too much time w/ the m80s). when i demoed the m80s, i didn't find anything particular that wow-ed me or struck my interest. however, the m80s are quite capable headphones, and I am definitely a bit biased against on-ear headphones. even tho I did notice momentums had great clear sound (& was obviously the technically superior pair of headphones), I would actually pick the MDR-1R over the momentums (not only due to comfort & design), but I felt like the MDR-1R had solid comparable sound quality & the coloration added a lot of enjoyment to my music. At the end of the day, listening to music is about enjoyment!

please note that i tried the 1rs quite a while ago, so my memory is a bit fuzzy about the details of their sound. i did get to direct compare the momentums against the mdr-1rs for a few weeks, and i rmb that ended up preferring the mdr-1rs. (tho i normally recommend the momentums over the mdr-1rs for other people as the momentums are less colored). Hope all this is helpful & rmb that these are all personal impressions. YMMV disclaimer! hahah.

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #22 of 38
  mmm i agree that you can def find better headphones out there (if you weren't considering budget)... but at the $124 usd price point, I doubt there are any other closed portable headphones that can compete with it. remember the MDR-1Rs were released at $300 price point to compete w/ the momentum, akg k550, and m100 type headphones, and there were many people here who preferred them over the alternatives at that price point.

@Pedro Oliveira,
hahah, I love bargains too!!!! i've never gotten a pair of headphones full MSRP. i feel like headphones are already really highly marked-up nowadays so unless i can get a deal on em, i wouldn't even consider keeping them hahaha. i personally think the p7 is severely overpriced after demoing them shortly, and I won't get the m500 as I don't like on-ears & i personally think $300 for on-ears is too pricey. (both personal opinions lol!)

mmm when I say colored (no u 
wink.gif
) i mean they are not neutral & most likely not a flat frequency response if you measured em. i wouldn't say that they don't sound realistic (female vocals were very well done on the mdr-1rs imo), but more like they were EQed. i think that the 1r's bass was slightly looser & bleeds a tiny bit more compared to the momentums (but I wldn't call MDR-1R's bass muddy or bloated). their clarity wasn't as good as the momentums but it wasn't that big of a difference. i thought the biggest difference was just the sound signature. as i said before, I really enjoyed the way they sounded their sound signature & it works really well w/ all genres (as long as you aren't grading on their ability to be perfectly flat neutrality)

i've never tried the k518, but after quick search i see that they are sometimes mentioned as basshead headphones. the mdr-1r would never be mistaken for basshead headphones, so I would assume that the coloration & warm bass of the 1r shouldn't sound anything like the akg k518. but i've never heard em, so i don't know. the 1r's bass was def not muddy or bloated in my opinion.

i guess the way i would characterize the mdr-1r is that there is a coloration, but it's a very smooth lush coloration, so nothing sounds out of place. the bass is nice & full without being overpowering. the trebles are sweet without being too sharp. i would describe it as very "smooth" (hopefully that's not an audiophile word, because i just mean everything feels very smooth).

they aren't breath-takingly crisp & clear like some headphones I've tried (eg. the akg k550s which I felt like was on another level compared to both the momentums/mdr-1rs... tho the k550 definitely did struggle w/ bass quantity), but everything on the 1rs was very rich & "smooth" lol. definitely had a lot of detail & everything did sound pretty clear.

i would definitely pick the 1r's sound over the m80 (but note, I didn't spend too much time w/ the m80s). when i demoed the m80s, i didn't find anything particular that wow-ed me or struck my interest. however, the m80s are quite capable headphones, and I am definitely a bit biased against on-ear headphones. even tho I did notice momentums had great clear sound (& was obviously the technically superior pair of headphones), I would actually pick the MDR-1R over the momentums (not only due to comfort & design), but I felt like the MDR-1R had solid comparable sound quality & the coloration added a lot of enjoyment to my music. At the end of the day, listening to music is about enjoyment!

please note that i tried the 1rs quite a while ago, so my memory is a bit fuzzy about the details of their sound. i did get to direct compare the momentums against the mdr-1rs for a few weeks, and i rmb that ended up preferring the mdr-1rs. (tho i normally recommend the momentums over the mdr-1rs for other people as the momentums are less colored). Hope all this is helpful & rmb that these are all personal impressions. YMMV disclaimer! hahah.

Thank you once again money. :)

The 1r' seem more and more like a wonderfull deal.... i knw that the bass wont be very slamin like on my hd25 but neverthless they seem to be very good. I think i am going to give the 1r's a try. The m80's i am going to forget about them since i already have my hd25's as on ear. You never tried a pair of hd25 or amperiors by the way? If you did that would give me a impressions of the quality an quantity of the bass on the 1r's...

To my ears.... hd25's bass is punchy and just the right amount for having fun
the cals have good amount but are a bit loose on the bass
the momentums is just a tiny bit loose like the cal but it haves some fun rumble and is well textures
the k518/81 has a large amount of bass but it feels a tiny bit bloated and too much sometimes
The ath m50 to my ears has a comparable bass to the hd25's but with more rumble (more whooooom effect)....

Just to give you an idea of how i perceive bass.....

What edm do you listen to?

I listen to stuff like armin van buuren, above & beyond, a lots of stuff from anjuna, armada and enhanced recordings.

did you had some fun with the bass on the 1r's? XD

I was actually thinking of getting a headphone for home as well and i thought of the akg k550 as well and the hd598.... the hd598 was too laidback and with not much bass (loose) for me and i never tried the k550's but i gave up on them when i read about poor bass and the seal/fit issues that reflects on the bass as well....

By the way, is it true that the the m80's do not isolate very well? Today i tested the over ear momentums and although i liked the sound they did not isolated very well (not as good as the over ears for sure.... are the m80s like that as well?

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #23 of 38
  Thank you once again money. :)

The 1r' seem more and more like a wonderfull deal.... i knw that the bass wont be very slamin like on my hd25 but neverthless they seem to be very good. I think i am going to give the 1r's a try. The m80's i am going to forget about them since i already have my hd25's as on ear. You never tried a pair of hd25 or amperiors by the way? If you did that would give me a impressions of the quality an quantity of the bass on the 1r's...

What edm do you listen to?

I listen to stuff like armin van buuren, above & beyond, a lots of stuff from anjuna, armada and enhanced recordings.

did you had some fun with the bass on the 1r's? XD

I was actually thinking of getting a headphone for home as well and i thought of the akg k550 as well and the hd598.... the hd598 was too laidback and with not much bass (loose) for me and i never tried the k550's but i gave up on them when i read about poor bass and the seal/fit issues that reflects on the bass as well....

By the way, is it true that the the m80's do not isolate very well? Today i tested the over ear momentums and although i liked the sound they did not isolated very well (not as good as the over ears for sure.... are the m80s like that as well?

Nope, sorry. haven't tried the hd25 or amperiors. heard very good things about the amperiors tho & i enjoyed reading your impressions on the bass of your different headphones.

v-moda actually makes pretty solid bassy headphones. the m100 were amazinggg for edm: great rumblingly textured tight bass that didn't bleed with great extension. the bass quantity was amazing while keeping everything else balanced & clear, but they were a bit too much for some other genres. actually when i was using the mdr-1rs, i found myself gravitating towards more rock, pop, and alternative type stuff because i thought they did guitars & female vocals so well =P lol. they were prettyy sick w/ the female vocals of trance/electronic tracks.

yea, the m80s are on-ear, so the isolation would be similar to the momentums. i actually didn't test the isolation of the mdr-1rs, so i'm not quite sure how they fare, but being over-ear, they should do much better.

lol, i'm actually really bad w/ edm artist names. i usually use spotify radio a lot when edm-ing. i recognize armin van buuren, he's super famous & he has amazinggg tracks. I had burned with desire on repeat for a month straight hahah! i actually didn't recognize above & beyond by name, but when i searched the artist, I found I already had a ton of their stuff starred. i love alchemy, sun&moon, and love is not enough! haven't heard of anjuna or armada or enhanced recording before. they aren't really on spotify, but youtubed moments in love (pretty chill). found their mixes on youtube & it sounds very similar to the trancey stuff i like.

man, i was just running through my playlists on spotify & if you're interested, i can shoot a playlist or something some time. i've recently gotten into a lot more heavy dupsteppy stuff like Excision, Zomboy, Dotexe, Ephixa, Feed Me, Hardwell. of course, there are the popular mainstream guys like benny benassi, calvin harris, nervo, krewella, tiesto, skrillex, pendulum, avicii, deadmau5, and david guetta. always classic. 

let's see, you should check out milkman's breaking free, loreen's euphoria, medina (everything by her is legit - not trance tho lol), be your sound by cosmic gate, always RIP eddie k/minus remix, morten breum's larva, lindsey stirling's amazing dubstep violin, Rameses B's dreaming is super baller.... omg, i'm going thro my playlists & there are SOOO many legit songs. you shld get a spotify account & i can share music w/ you. the mdr-1rs make the female vocals they throw up on mixes sound reallyyyyyy sweet! PM me if you're interested in sharing music. 
L3000.gif

hope you like the mdr-1rs & lemme know your impressions after you get em.

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #24 of 38
  Nope, sorry. haven't tried the hd25 or amperiors. heard very good things about the amperiors tho & i enjoyed reading your impressions on the bass of your different headphones.

v-moda actually makes pretty solid bassy headphones. the m100 were amazinggg for edm: great rumblingly textured tight bass that didn't bleed with great extension. the bass quantity was amazing while keeping everything else balanced & clear, but they were a bit too much for some other genres. actually when i was using the mdr-1rs, i found myself gravitating towards more rock, pop, and alternative type stuff because i thought they did guitars & female vocals so well =P lol. they were prettyy sick w/ the female vocals of trance/electronic tracks.

yea, the m80s are on-ear, so the isolation would be similar to the momentums. i actually didn't test the isolation of the mdr-1rs, so i'm not quite sure how they fare, but being over-ear, they should do much better.

lol, i'm actually really bad w/ edm artist names. i usually use spotify radio a lot when edm-ing. i recognize armin van buuren, he's super famous & he has amazinggg tracks. I had burned with desire on repeat for a month straight hahah! i actually didn't recognize above & beyond by name, but when i searched the artist, I found I already had a ton of their stuff starred. i love alchemy, sun&moon, and love is not enough! haven't heard of anjuna or armada or enhanced recording before. they aren't really on spotify, but youtubed moments in love (pretty chill). found their mixes on youtube & it sounds very similar to the trancey stuff i like.

man, i was just running through my playlists on spotify & if you're interested, i can shoot a playlist or something some time. i've recently gotten into a lot more heavy dupsteppy stuff like Excision, Zomboy, Dotexe, Ephixa, Feed Me, Hardwell. of course, there are the popular mainstream guys like benny benassi, calvin harris, nervo, krewella, tiesto, skrillex, pendulum, avicii, deadmau5, and david guetta. always classic. 

let's see, you should check out milkman's breaking free, loreen's euphoria, medina (everything by her is legit - not trance tho lol), be your sound by cosmic gate, always RIP eddie k/minus remix, morten breum's larva, lindsey stirling's amazing dubstep violin, Rameses B's dreaming is super baller.... omg, i'm going thro my playlists & there are SOOO many legit songs. you shld get a spotify account & i can share music w/ you. the mdr-1rs make the female vocals they throw up on mixes sound reallyyyyyy sweet! PM me if you're interested in sharing music. 
L3000.gif

hope you like the mdr-1rs & lemme know your impressions after you get em.

Thank you once gain money... :)

By anjuna i mean anjunabeats (its a record label owned by above & beyond), armada recordings (owned by armin van buuren, many sub labels like cold harbour (owned by markus schulz), enhanced recordings (owned by tritonal and with amazing artists like estiva, store 'n' forward, etc.... ).

The m80's review really makes the tempting i have to admit. Tyll describes them as nearly as good as the on ear momentums and every comparison between the hd25's and the m80's usually ends up in a tie because they are both in differente ways (the hd25s better highs, the v-modas better mids, similar bass extension, similar clarity, the hd25 is more agressive with good treble extension and just a tiny bit recessed mids, the m80s seem to be more laidback, with polite mids but fantastic mids and great soundstage for such a small closed can (the good stage seems to be a reflection of not so good isolation...) ).

The hd25's are very goods in terms of isolation, even better than the over ear momentum, but at the same time they hurt a bit (but i am getting used to that) and it feels like the is no soundstage, but the sound is amazing. Just a tiny tiny tiny bit grainy (when compared with the momentums), but very clear, fun and enjoyable (highs are a tiny bit too much at times but it is not as bad as some described and that is only noticeable on higher volumes). I believe they are a better outside use headphone than the momentums because of the seal and tight fit, but of course the momentums are better in terms of resolution, soundstage, construction, sq refinement.... only if my ears were smaller they would be a perfect laidback headphone for all purposes....

I really would love to get the m80's as well but damn, 100 euros is justo too damn many for a used on ear.... the amperiors were being sold for 125 new on amazon fr a couple of days ago.....

Dec 25, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #26 of 38
The 1r is = to the UE6000. The UE6000 is $100. M80 too.

Haven't even heard the p7 and I know it's overpriced.

mmm... i heard both & i definitely consider the mdr-1r's to be a step up from the ue6000. (personal opinion of course hahah) the ue6000 is a very good price & that is something for OP to consider if he wants to save more money. however, his sale price of $124 of the mdr-1r is comparable to the sale price of the ue6000 lol.

mmm... "overpriceness" is easy to see just based on comparable alternatives at the market price point, but it's really hard to be fair until after you listen to the headphones. you should be careful about those kinds of statements here, because people here will certain get on your case for judging headphones without listening to em. i don't particularly care, but i remember when i first got onto head-fi, people did not take too kindly to those sort of statements about headphones if you have not heard the headphones. (edit: just a friendly heads-up, you can get in trouble w/ the moderators for saying 'subjective' things like that without hearing the headphones)

the higher up in price point you go, the less improvement you get from spending additional money. I personally have found the $200-$300 range to be the sweet spot for me where I feel like I maxed out my performance for the money. so the $24-50 jump from the ue6000 to the mdr-1r ($124 for OP), I would think is very worth it as I personally preferred the mdr-1rs over the ue6000 when I found them at the same $200 price point (mdr-1r on sale). from demoing the p7s against the momentums, i felt that its sound quality did not do anything to justify the worth the extra $100 for me, but these sort of value statements are pretty personal & subjective.

YMMV hahah

Dec 25, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #27 of 38
I haven't tried the MDR-1Rs personally, but I am an owner of the Crossfade M-80s for about 6 months now.  Here's my two cents:

I picked up my M80s on clearance at Radioshack for about $80 or so.  Pretty awesome buy if I may say so myself.  The first thing I noticed about them was how lightweight and durable the headphones were.  I thought that would be perfect for use at work.  Unfortunately though, it is true that the noise isolation on the M80s is bad.  IDK whether it's really bad or if the isolation on the headphones I had prior was just really good, but with my set of SOL Republic Tracks HD, I can keep my volume at around 40% and not be bothered by common background noise.  With the M-80s, I'd have to crank it up to around 70% to not be disturbed.

They also are not the most comfortable set of headphones.  I can wear my Klipsch Image Ones for a couple hours and my SOL Tracks HD even longer still and not be bothered.  With the M-80s, the clamping will give me a headache after approximately one hour of listening.

The sound quality is pretty great when it's dead silent though and I can honestly say I prefer them over all the other on-ear/over the ear headphones I have ATM.  I personally find it's great at pretty much every genre of music I have except hip hop, which is a bit disappointing considering that's my favored genre of music while at work.

That being said though, I still wear my Tracks HD to work since the benefits of better sound simply do not outweigh the drawbacks IMO.  The differences in comfort and noise isolation are tremendous and honestly, if the MDRs are just as comfortable with the same level of isolation as my Tracks HD, I'd probably opt for them.

Dec 25, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #28 of 38
Hmm. Well the P7 is in the same league as the momentum, m500, hp50, etc Thought it was fair but you're definitely right about the sensitivity towards cans you've never worn here.

What people need to hear is the ATH WS99. Same class as the m500 etc but I prefer the ws99 (sometimes).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back