Buying advice for Shanling PH100 - would you buy from the Bay?
Dec 23, 2008 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Max Dread

Head-Fier
Hi all

Sorry about the very untechnical nature of this question!!! But I'm hoping to get my hands on a Shanling PH100, which is quite difficult in the UK.

I've come across these on eBay:

SHANLING PH100 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER FOR DAC & CD PLAYER on eBay, also Headphones Earbuds, For MP3 Players, iPod MP3 Accessories, Electronics (end time 15-Jan-09 17:34:50 GMT)

SHANLING PH100 Headphone Amplifier PH-100 Brand New on eBay, also Other, Amplifiers, Home Audio, Electronics (end time 18-Jan-09 05:00:12 GMT)

But on the Shanling website homepage it warns people about buying from discount online websites or auction sites like eBay. I emailed them with the same question, but they did not answer this aspect of it. They just said that the PH100 is now discontinued and has been replaced with the PH300.

I know a lot of you guys have experience with buying headphones, amps, etc. and so was hoping someone might be able to say whether these Shanlings on eBay are OK or dodgy.

Cheers

Max

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 6
I dont know about Shanlings but you should ask the seller if amp has CE marking on it(some kind of EU regulation).
If not customs will hold it until you provide them with proper documents.
I've had 2 parcels hold by customs 1 from Korea and 1 from Hong-kong, because it didn't have CE on it.
Maybe you'll get lucky or UK customs are sane not like those where i live.

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 6
The first link going to the Wai Wai Valve Company is an authorised retailer for shanling. If you go to diykits then you can e-mail them. They are very helpful.

Dec 23, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 6
Eddie Wu at Wai Wai Valve(diykits) provided me with great service when i was ordering my PH100 from him.
Email enquiries were answered promptly. Placed order and paid on a Tuesday, he posted it EMS the next day and I had the amp hooked up and working by by Saturday.
Pretty surprised at the quickness.

Dec 23, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 6
Yeah, I have fired a couple of emails at them and have had very quick and helpful responses. Good on 'em. I hate it when companies don't repond or respond after 2 weeks with a POS answer.

Anyways, apparently it does NOT have the CE Marking so I think I will look into this a bit further. I would hate for the amp to sit in customs all unused and alone!

Thanks for the helpful replies. Still not decided between this and a Heed Canamp (I've posted separately on that one!)....but such info may help me decide one way or another.

All the best.

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 6
I remember atleast 2 other head-fiers from the UK who bought the PH100. Not sure where they sourced theirs from.
You might want to dig around in the PH100 thread and shoot some PMs around to ask them about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back