buying advice - best 1gb usb players
Dec 3, 2004 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ewok

Head-Fier
Considering getting a nice new 1gb usb player to replace my minidisc and current plain usb memory stick.

my requirements are:
1gb size
good battery life, 16 hours bare minimum
fm radio (good stereo reception)
plug and play - no drivers needed to copy files etc to it in explorer
fast transfer rate
good sound obviously

The best transfer rate I've seen quoted for any of them is the 14.4mbps of the iriver 899, whether it actually transfers at this speed or not is another matter but the faster the better.

At the moment it seems the best one is the iriver 899, seemingly fastest transfer speed, 40 hours battery, radio, no need for drivers.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on one I should consider? obviously something which may match or be better than the iriver, the muvo n200 for example has lower poiwer output, worse battery life and probably slower transfer speed. Although it may be smaller, size is of no real concern to me as these are all very small anyway.

Anyone know if theres a new iriver stick comming out soon which I should wait for instead?

thanks

Dec 3, 2004 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 15
i'm pretty sure the iriver 700 series is the same as the 800 except for looks.

another brand you might look at is iaudio. they don't need drivers either and have radios.

for the new iriver are you talkinga bout the 1000 series? that has a camera on it. if you just want an mp3 player the players out already should be good enough.

Dec 3, 2004 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 15
I dont know of any new iriver but thought someone else might, save me buying one and find out theres a new model next week.

dont need the crappy 0.3mp camera on that other thing, and they only go up to 512mb and are very expensive anyway.

Am going to order an 899 as the 799's are the same price anyway, seems to be the best memory stick mp3 player you can get.

Dec 3, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 15
The iRiver 990 series is now available through the iRiver America store online. Their N10 series is also available.

Dec 3, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 15
Check out the MuVo Micro N200 1GB. It should meet all your needs and comes in 8 different colors. Plus it is one of the smallest 1GB flash players out there.

1gb size - Yes

good battery life, 16 hours bare minimum – 15-hours (just short of your requirements)

fm radio (good stereo reception) – Yes, FM radio that is also recordable (also built-in voice recorder and line-in for external recording)

plug and play - no drivers needed to copy files etc to it in explorer – Yes Universal Mass Storage (UMS) compliant

fast transfer rate - Fast music transfer with USB 2.0

good sound obviously – Creative is known for good sound quality

wink.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 4:08 PM Post #8 of 15
rio isnt a memory stick its a hdd player, its a lot bigger, and the battery life is only 15 hours, if i was going to do something like that id get an iriver h140 and have almost 10x the storage and 16 hours battery life.

the new sony thing mentions "network walkman" and "sonicstage" both of which make me shudder. The whole reason for me needing a new device at all is this useless, crappy, irritating net-md minidisc I have which in 2 years I have only ever used 2 discs because of the extreme hassle involved. The battery life of 70 hours seems incredible from 1 aaa battery (as was the battery life on my net-md which is the reason i want good life on any new player i get) but still quite frankly i wouldnt touch them sonys with a barge pole after this experience.

dont like creative products they are cheap and nasty in my experience, got my dad a 512 muvo n200 for christmas, should have arrived today.

ordered the iriver 899 and it shipped within 2 hours of ordering, should arrive monday weee

Dec 3, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ewok
dont like creative products they are cheap and nasty in my experience, got my dad a 512 muvo n200 for christmas, should have arrived today.

Creative Labs products are cheap and nasty in your experience, but they’re good enough for dear old dad?!? Such a good son!

biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 15
I just received a iriver 799 and it looks great, has awesome battery life, and has a great sports case from iriver.com that I ordered online.
I've also ordered the Sony NW-E99 out of curiousity. It looks like it is a USB Mass Storage Device but mp3's need to be put on to it using a file manager that adds some sort of anti-copying stuff. It may also only be USB 1.1 like the EW-75 which bothers me a little bit. I'm amazed by the 70 hour battery life from 1 AAA battery, but I'm also hoping that it has a metal casing like most Sonys do. The only thing that really troubles me about it is the lack of an armband or any sort of case for it.
I'll post something when I receive it in a couple of weeks.

Dec 3, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTom1
Creative Labs products are cheap and nasty in your experience, but they’re good enough for dear old dad?!? Such a good son!

biggrin.gif

I've got the answer for dad....buy the kid gear he'd like. Sooner or later, he'll get the hand-me-downs as kids tend to tire of items quickly when newer and "cooler" gear arrives. That's my game. Son and daughter both get iPods from the old man for Christmas this year!
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2004 at 9:49 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTom1

biggrin.gif

yep plenty good enuff, he wanted something small to stick a few cds on it to learn spanish and im sure the muvo will be more than good enough and he cant complain about the size. his needs are different than mine
tongue.gif

Dec 6, 2004 at 10:08 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ewok
rio isnt a memory stick its a hdd player, its a lot bigger, and the battery life is only 15 hours, if i was going to do something like that id get an iriver h140 and have almost 10x the storage and 16 hours battery life.

I think you may be confusing the Carbon and the Karma. The Carbon has a tested battery life of 20-23 hours, and while it is 'technically' a HD player, it is in the same vein as the iPod Mini which utilizes a much smaller drive (the Carbon is smaller than the Mini btw). Either way I don't think the Carbon will meet your requirements as it doesn't have a Radio, but I did want to clarify. If you can live without the Radio, I would suggest getting a Carbon 'shell' off eBay as the 5GB drive has become a popular salvage for Digital SLR users, and then pop in a high capacity CF card since they're cheap, and now you have a very nice solid state player.

You might want to look at the Rio Forge options though. While they only go up to 512Mb, they support expansion with SD cards, and I recently scored a 1GB SD card for <$70. They have a radio with a recording feature, and I *think* it has UMS support although I'm not sure.

Dec 6, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #14 of 15
sony have a Hi-MD player that takes 1GB discs and has an AM/FM radio. i think its called the NH800, only thing is you have to use sonicstage - but you can record and upload as well

Dec 6, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edvard_Grieg
If you can live without the Radio, I would suggest getting a Carbon 'shell' off eBay as the 5GB drive has become a popular salvage for Digital SLR users, and then pop in a high capacity CF card since they're cheap, and now you have a very nice solid state player.

From what I've read at Riovolution.com, I don't think any compact flash cards (other than the ogiginal Seagate drive) will work with the Rio Carbon. Users are still testing different cards and drives.

For ressurected Carbon, which CF cards work

rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back