Buying advice - Are e2c's the right choice?
Mar 19, 2005 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Guust-Fi

100+ Head-Fier
I need to get some isolating phones for my Iriver H320 before friday because I will be leaving on a school vacation to Italy. My current setup is in my sig. Now would the ec2's be a good match for my DAP?
hey seem to be the only ones falling into my budget beside the Etymotic ER-6i's. What do you all think?
I thought canalphones sounded superb but when comparing these charts...
graphCompare.php

graphCompare.php

graphCompare.php

BTW, would a comparision of headphones against the frequency response of the human ear be perfect or are there other things to consider? The frequency responses of all those headphones look so similar...
Also, who agree's with headphone.com's opinion on Shure's

Mar 19, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 18
While frequency graphs are interesting, I tend to ignore them when choosing a headphone simply because the frequency response of each individual's ears is different.
I voted for the 6i for three reasons:
1. Sound is more detailed with a better top end than the E2c.
2. Soft Tri-flange tips much easier to insert and maintain seal than two-flange hard rubber tips, although using foamies would probably level the playing field. Over the ear cord of the E2c is also a hassle for me.
3. Comfort for extended listening is better with 6i.....for me, anyway.
Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 18
I also cast a vote for the ER-6i. Overall I found it to be much more balanced and detailed than the E3c. I can't comment on the E2c since I have not heard them, but I understand the treble on it is even more recessed than the E3c.

In terms of isolation, which might be an important factor if they will be seeing a lot of use on airline flights, the tri-flange tips on the ER-6i will probably isolate the best, but I found the isolation with both the ultra-soft flex and clear Shure tips to be more than adequate.

I agree with joelongwood about frequency graphs. They might be useful as a very rough guide but eventually your own ears will be the best way to find what you like.

Mar 19, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 18
If this is your first time getting a canal phone, please be aware that it takes some getting used to. The Shure E2c as compared to Ety 6i has been debated many times. There are some who actually prefer the E2c as it has more bass than the Ety 6i. However the E2c is not as clear as the Ety 6i and also has rolled off highs. Comfort wise, I do agree that the Ety 6i is by far the more comfortable of the 2.
My advice is to do a search on this forum as well as the internet for reviews and if at all possible demo the actual set first. I had a friend returning the Ety 6i within a day.

Mar 19, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Splurge. Get the E5's. You know you'll end up there anyway so why not go for it now and actually save money.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Because the journey is often more fun than the destination.
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2005 at 10:27 AM Post #8 of 18
Damn it's 4-4 for the ER-6i's against the e2c's. I'd rather get my choice right without spending that much of money. (<150)
Extra votes please.
I'm speaking in term of overall preformance so comfort and sealing (I guess cutom molds would be overkill) are important too. Does anybody have some pictures of the ER6i's in an ear? It looks like they would stick out and the Ec2's would fit just right. But the over stuff might be uncomfortable to me.
At this moment I'm enjoying stuff like Daft Punk, Das Pop, The Prodigy, Leftfield, Dire Straits, Eric Clapton, Genesis, Franz Ferdinand, Novastar, Muse ... I'm also starting to listen to more classical music lately like Bach and Tchaikovsky...
This might be silly but here are some pics of my ears, which would fit best according to my ears and music preference? lol
biggrin.gif

ears.jpg

BTW: Added a second graph..

Mar 19, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 18
Could anybody tell me how they experience the difference between the ec2's and the er-6i's in terms of comfort and fatigue?.3

The ER-6i's seem to be a good choice but it looks like the earpiece would enter a part of your ear too. It looks like the flange sits so close to the earpiece.
I heard the ER-6i's are really great with music like Eric Clapton because of their preformance in the upper end with the strings. On the other hand I've heard it causes more fatigue with rock & pop and I'm pretty prone to that..

The e2c's don't seal as well but they do have a thicker wire and it would be safer on my bike I guess. Do the ER-6i's have a better wire than the ER-6's?
Which canalphones come close to my HD-555's in audio preformance?

I'll be bumping this thread a little bit the next days because I really need the canalphones soon. My current idea would be to go with the ec2's and ultra soft sleeves untill I save enough money for ER-4's, weststones or Ultimate Ears. What do you think?

Mar 19, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 18
Yes, and I hope you are not making fun of it! I was born this way so...

hahaha indeed this looks funny. What a silly idea to post my ears in the first place. I just took these with the self-timer on my digicam and the pictures are both taken from a different angle.

Btw, do you have any other advice?

Mar 19, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #12 of 18
I own the e2c and find its over-the-ear cord vey useful for traveling. the e2c sits flush against the ear and because the cord goes ove your ear if someone needs to talk to you you can take one out and let it hang there vs the Ety's where you'd have to hold it.

however the e2c's are not very clear headphones and i find that because of the way they sit in my ears i cant wear beanies (or tight hoods) because of microphonics
etysmile.gif

Mar 19, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #13 of 18
I am now regretting getting the e2c's I think that the Sony in ear ones would of been better and a little bit cheaper too. At least for comfort. I just dont wanna deal with the return thing. And they do sound great though they just arent really that comfortable to me.

Mar 19, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #14 of 18
I have the e2c's - and I would recommend the ety ER-6i. The e2c's isolate well, but the sound quality isn't quite there. Nowhere near my Grado SR-60's. Now that I've been exposed to the beauty of truly good phones, the E2c's barely get much listening time. I know the Ety's have greater detail - that may be a better idea.

Mar 20, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #15 of 18
So you own the ER-6i's too? What about the wire, are you having trouble with it?
I've heard about people having trouble with the tri-flange being obliged to cut off the first flange :s is this true? As far as I know the ER-6i's only have a foamy and a tri-flange available that fit. Are there any other different sizes and flanges that would fit? At the moment I'm leaning towards the ER-6i's but I am still very undecisive...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back