Buying Advice: Airhead / TA / older models
Jul 18, 2002 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

johanneswolfgang

New Head-Fier
I'm ready to purchase my first amplifier for my Sr-60s, and I have a few things which I'd really appreciate if someone can tell me. The Sr-60s have the earmuffs cut out and I listen to classical music so clarity, detail, seperation and honest reproduction are important (a lot of old recordings). Would the TAs be noticeably better than the airheads, and would the newers ones (3AAA) be noticeably better on my phones than the older ones (2AA) - for both models (I think I heard the newer TAs have a hissing probelm)? Also, I own a Denon Dr-M10 cassette deck with which I listen, and a SLCT-470 to copy cds to cassette. I hope I haven't confused all of you too much.

Thank You

Jul 18, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 3
I have the TA. It uses better parts then then the regular airhead. I have Zero hiss from my TA. The volume control does not pop or mistrack at all. I would prefer the 3AA myself given the choice, but my 2AA works just fine anyway. No clear winner on that. I would give Headroom a call and get an opinion on it. They answer all questions honestly, when I talk to them. You should also ask about the return policy if you are not satisfied.

Jul 18, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 3
If you're willing to spend the money for a Total Airhead, I would contact one of the Head-Fiers who builds amps (JMT, eric343, and Tangent) and check out the prices of a META42. I have two built by JMT....one is in a small case powered by a single 9V, the other is in a slightly larger case powered by two 9V............and, to my ears at least, both are far superior to the TA. The dual 9V seems to be a bit more authoritative in the lower regions, but both are an excellent match with the SR60s. As you state:
Quote:

...clarity, detail, seperation and honest reproduction are important...

If that is the case, look no further than the META42........simply amazing sound! Just my opinion of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back