Buying A Wristwatch In Hong Kong For Father -- Advice Much Appreciated!
May 23, 2005 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bLue_oNioN

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

My father's Omega has been going in and out of the repair shop way too many times in recent years. Maintenance costs are rising to ridiculously high amounts, so he's looking for a replacement watch. There's a family trip to Hong Kong coming up and we're thinking about shopping there.

We aren't looking to go all out; the budget is set at approx. 1000USD.

Criteria:
- High reliability is a must. We don't want to be making constant trips to the watchmaker, nor are we looking for a showy watch that can't withstand daily abuse.
- The watch won't be used for any diving or swimming, but it must be able to withstand at least a few feet of water.
- We prefer understated elegance over the more flashy, gaudy route some designers take. Many of the Panerai watches seem to satisfy on this count, but I know nothing about watches, so I can't tell if Panerai would be a good choice or not (I also don't know if Panerai watches are hard to find or easy to maintain).

Specific questions that I have:
- Is it wise to purchase a watch in Hong Kong? Or are prices there typically too high? If we stick to the shops, is the risk of running into counterfeits high?
- Based on the criteria I gave, what watches would you recommend I look into? What important factors haven't I considered?

Thank you very much =)

May 23, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 9
There are plenty of watch shops in Hong Kong. Just make sure you go to a reputable store and you'll be okay. In Hong Kong, you should get a minimum of 30% discount, so make sure you negotiate, never pay list price.

May 24, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 9
I thought it was a superstition to give watches or clocks as gifts as it supposedly means that they don't have much time in life left, to start counting the minutes till death comes a-knockin' on the door.

May 24, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 9
You're also not supposed to buy people shoes as they will walk out of your life. Eh, old wives tales.

How old is your dad's Omega? I have a speedmaster but I dont wear it very often.

May 24, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 9
Hi blueonion- cool username
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know much about watches. But for advice about shopping in HK, you should check out virtualtourist.com. There you can find tips and warnings from the people who live there and people who have travelled there. You'll get great insider advice that will put you at an advantage over uninformed and inexperienced tourists.

For example, try these two links:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...ping-BR-1.html

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...ng-TG-C-1.html

Best wishes!

May 25, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvw
There are plenty of watch shops in Hong Kong. Just make sure you go to a reputable store and you'll be okay. In Hong Kong, you should get a minimum of 30% discount, so make sure you negotiate, never pay list price.

Thanks for the tip =)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
I thought it was a superstition to give watches or clocks as gifts as it supposedly means that they don't have much time in life left, to start counting the minutes till death comes a-knockin' on the door.

My father will be coming too, so the watch isn't really gift. I guess you could say we're helping him pick and buy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
You're also not supposed to buy people shoes as they will walk out of your life. Eh, old wives tales.

How old is your dad's Omega? I have a speedmaster but I dont wear it very often.

LOL I've never heard of this one about shoes! Very interesting hehe.

His Omega is at least ten years old, I'd say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbluesurface
Hi blueonion- cool username
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know much about watches. But for advice about shopping in HK, you should check out virtualtourist.com. There you can find tips and warnings from the people who live there and people who have travelled there. You'll get great insider advice that will put you at an advantage over uninformed and inexperienced tourists.

Thanks very much for the link, it definitely looks like a great resource, I will look through it!

May 25, 2005 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 9
Are there any watch experts in here that could provide me more detailed advice on selecting a watch?

I'm mostly looking for comments on brands and models to avoid/purchase.

For example...
A Lange and Sohne, Alain Silberstein, Audemars Piguet, Blancpain, Breguet, Franck Muller, JLC, Parmigiani, Patek Phillipe, Ulysse Nardin, Vacheron Constantin, Breitling, Cartier, Ebel, Omega, Rolex, Baume & Mercier, Raymond Weil, Tag Heuer, Epos, Fortis, Movado, IWC, Bell and Ross, or Oris?

May 25, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
Are there any watch experts in here that could provide me more detailed advice on selecting a watch?

I'm mostly looking for comments on brands and models to avoid/purchase.

For example...
A Lange and Sohne, Alain Silberstein, Audemars Piguet, Blancpain, Breguet, Franck Muller, JLC, Parmigiani, Patek Phillipe, Ulysse Nardin, Vacheron Constantin, Breitling, Cartier, Ebel, Omega, Rolex, Baume & Mercier, Raymond Weil, Tag Heuer, Epos, Fortis, Movado, IWC, Bell and Ross, or Oris?

Many names listed above exceeds $10000 like Lange & Sohne, Piguet, Blancpain, Muller, etc. I would highly recommand Baume & Mercier Hampton and Classima Executives series.

A couple years ago, I dealt with HK authorized dealer. Many will give you 20-30% discount depending on the model. You have to be very persistant. Last time I was there I almost bought Tag Heuer Monaco Steve McQueen version for US$2000. Always go to the authorized dealer posted on the manufacturers website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back