Buying a used car
Jan 29, 2003 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

grancasa

100+ Head-Fier
So I need a car, and I figured I check and see if any Head-Fi'er in the Tri-State area was selling one. My budget is around $2500.

Also, if you could reccomend some good used car web sites, that'd be great as well. I've been checking craigslist and autotrader, but that's it.

Jan 29, 2003 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 9
my friend got a pacer (that needed brakes and a door), for a bottle of whisky.

I think there were a few more repairs. Cost him about $500, whisky cost him $40. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

To find good used cars i'm sure its just being at the right place at the right time, and have an open mind to all sorts of cars.

Jan 29, 2003 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 9
If you want a used car that cheap, find someone who can go along with you who really knows what to look for and what to avoid in a prospective vehicle, and then head for Athol! We drove through there on the way to Boston and we saw about 10 lots with used cars below $5k.
wink.gif

Unfortueatly, they are mostly rusting American econnoboxes... I don't know what you're looking for ina vehicle though. At the Rally X Sat. we found about the Eagle Tallon. I don't like american cars much, but I think I'll make an exeption for this one. Two door, all wheel drive, turbo.. Apparently it can take beating too.

I drive a Toyota FX-16. If you think it's your size car and you see one in good shape for your price, JUMP ON IT! But good luck finding one like that around here. If it's in good shape, someone is surely still enjoying it too much to let it go. I keep dumping cash into mine. It has 246K miles, and the engine and chasis are in great shape, but the body is rusting, and it's not likely to pass inspection again at the end of the year unless I learn to do my own welding. Hmmm...

Anyway, I look forward to the next meet, see you then.

Jan 29, 2003 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 9
if you like fixing cars i recomend you buying a old car because they are easy and cheap to fix...

if i were to buy a car for 2600$ i would definaltelly look for a old VW ( 914 or ghia) or an old american car (chevy v8) and fix it up...if you dont like the fixing part then you should save some more money

good luck

website...i dont know if this will help but they have all kinds of cars and the pictures are pretty cool... http://www.cars-on-line.com/

Jan 29, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 9
For $2500 I think you'd be able to find an older Acura Legend. They're very reliable (Honda), and acutally quite sporty with a smooth V6 and quick handling. If you want manual tranny it might be difficult to find one, though.

DarkWolf,

I believe the Eagle Talon is based on the Mitsubishi Eclipse (or is it the other way around?). But yeah, I've ridden in a turbo Talon through a friend at school, and you're right it's pretty damn fast.

Jan 30, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
$2500. Good luck. You will need it.

You mostly just need perseverence.

I paid $500 for a Buick Century with a 3.8 litre that I got 5 years use from (although not without some headaches) and then sold for $700.

I paid $405 for a Sedan Deville that I've been driving for the past six months with no mechanical problems after initial brake work and carb rebuild when I first bought it.

Hard sometimes to justify buying audio toys. Y'know, for my $400 do I want an Ipod or a Cadillac . . .

Jan 30, 2003 at 12:39 AM Post #9 of 9
If you find one have it checked out by a competent mechanic even if you need ot pay him. There may be things wrong that you can use in your favor during negotiations. You also will know what you are getting. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back