buying a tube/hybrid amp in China (need advice)
Feb 1, 2005 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ya8282

100+ Head-Fier
I've been reading about some of the Chinese-made amps in this forum, and was interested in purchasing one on my 4-day tour vacation in China next week (mostly Shanghai). Since it's a package vacation, I would probably have to get it delivered to the hotel which may or may not be possible. I could also order internationally to be shipped to my residence in Korea (shipping might be slightly less than to the US).

I only own solid-state audio equipment, but would like to add some contrast to my system with a hybrid or tube amp (headphone, integrated, or speaker-only). My current overseas system is in my sig, but eventually I will return to the US where my Sony DVP7700, MSB Link DAC, and Creek 4240SE integrated amp await.

I'm looking to spend $300US or less, and have been looking through the forums. The 2000ok HP-100A and HP-200/SE look pretty nice despite the former's heat dispersion problems, but I would also be open to other suggestions.

Another requirement is that either it needs to be dual voltage or 110V so that I can use it when I return to the US this year.

If anyone has any helpful information on how to order and receive them as well as recommendations on amps made and sold in China (professional or amateur-made), please let me know.

Feb 1, 2005 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 5
I am fairly impressed with many of these Chinese tube amps. Check out the Cyber 20 by Consonance Audio. The list price is about US$320-$330 in China. If you haggle, you can bring it down to probably under US$300. Tell them you live in Korea and needs a 110V version, and they should be able to have one delivered to you from the factory.

Opera Audio's dealers in China Check the 3rd listing from the top. Or just e-mail Opera Audio directly.

You can read my review here and here.

Feb 2, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks, I'll look into the Opera. Have you gotten around to compare it to your 2000ok HP-100A? I've also been eye-ing the Korsun u2 integrated amp (similar to the Mark Levinson Red Rose) and other nice equipment from China...

Feb 2, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 5
"buying a tube/hybrid amp in China (need advice)"

Don't drink the water.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ya8282
Thanks, I'll look into the Opera. Have you gotten around to compare it to your 2000ok HP-100A? I've also been eye-ing the Korsun u2 integrated amp (similar to the Mark Levinson Red Rose) and other nice equipment from China...

I'm sorry, but Cyber 20 is in a different league. The 2000ok HP-100A is not bad sounding. My unit has a hum that I am trying to figure out how to quiet down. According to 2000ok, it's because of the tubes, but I've tried several pairs and it still hums. In my book, this is just a kit amp developed by somebody, not a real product. I don't know what I am going to do with my HP-100A. I might experiment and change out some parts to see what happens. (With some help from experts, of course).

The Cyber 20 costs twice as much (HP-100A around US$120), but still only about US$300, is a solidly built amp. I am very impressed with it's performance. I just received the US$1500 Rudistor RP5cav from Italy and will compare the Cyber 20 to the PR5cav. I think even wit it's US retail price of $700, the Cyber 20 will hold it's own comparing to other amps in that price category. Cayin is another Chinese tube amp that peaked my curiousity. It's about US$350. Rumor has it that it has better bass performance than the Cyber 20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back