Buying a source
Jan 22, 2002 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

vn412

100+ Head-Fier
Hey...I was hoping you guys could help me out on buying a new source because mine really SUCKS!!!

Right now I have a X-Can v2 paired with the Senn HD580s. I'm looking to spend around 150 max for a CD player.

New/used/refurbished is fine!

Also, if anyone can tell me where I can find a cheap Denon 370 for sale (ubid ran out!!!) i would appreciate it!!!

Jan 22, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 17
There was one right here on Head-Fi. Not sure if it's still available. I think the guy might've been in there once or twice with a soldering iron, too.. Cant remember.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2002 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 17
I was wondering about those Harman Kardon's. They are available factory refurbished for $96.

So, you say they're pretty good? Ever tried them with an DAC? They have a coax digital output, so they can be easily upgraded.

Jan 23, 2002 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 17
I don't really know about the 8370 but I own the 8550 which seems to be quite similar. Although the HK is good value for money, the audio output is less than optimal. Use it as a transport with a decent DAC if you will. I use it with a tweaked XDAC and the difference is real. Ironically the headphone output is halfway decent and actually sounds better than the RCA out. Open up the HK and you will find out why. The dual DAC is just marketing as far as actual execution is concerned. The output to the RCA uses some real cheap wires and is coiled quite a few times around a ferrite ring. Though this may cut radio emission I wonder what it is doing to the sound. It may be possible to tweak the HK but I would not recommend it since there is no room in the chassis and dissassembling it to get to the goodies is a daunting task.

Jan 23, 2002 at 10:41 AM Post #8 of 17
The output on the older HKs are slightly lacking, but not enough to justify the added price of buying an external DAC (I've never tried using one btw).
I have the 8380 and sounds great directly fed into the input of my subwoofer (using speakers only with this cdp).

Jan 23, 2002 at 11:33 AM Post #9 of 17
I've got the H-K FL8300. I feed the coax digital to my H-K AVR300 receiver, primarily because I'm short on analog ins. I know the AVR300 has 24/96 DACs, and it sounds pretty damned good to my ears. I use the analog out to feed my TA to my HD600s. Again, pretty damned good. The headphone out sounds good, but the analog out through the TA sounds a bit better.

Basically, I'm pretty well satisfied with it. I know I can get better, maybe even better for the same money, but when I bought this, it was the best available locally, and I wasn't comfortable with internet shopping or mail order for something like that. Much better now.

Anyhow, upgrades are not really on the horizon. Semi-retirement is fabulous. Lots of time for things like listening to music, fishing, stopping to smell the roses or whatever else may be blooming and causing allergys.

Just reduces the income level to very comfortable, as long as I don't want to do anything major. Will have to get a car soon, but that's budgeted. Basically audio upgrades and a new bicycle or no upgrades and a newer car. My age and my hips, there really isn't a choice.

I really enjoy all these forums, and learn things I may do eventually, but diminishing returns and the fact that I like the sound I've got. I just don't obsess on better. Sometime if I can afford it, yeah.

Jan 24, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #10 of 17
Stay away from older CD players. Nothing against HK but they are notorious for a high failure rate in their cd players. Also, HK was never brilliant to begin with. Now if you're talking used cd players and you can get a 2 year old 1k Rega Planet for $150.00 then you might have something.

For $150.00 there is not a ton. I would not suggest anything below the NAD C521 http://www.nadelectronics.com/CD/C521.html . You have a nice system going...a good source is more important than some realize. You could also try the Cambridge Audio D300 http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/index2_f.htm or products from AMC Specificall the CD8b. They sell refurbished models as well. http://www.amchome.com/Merchant2/mer...y_Code=Sources

Jan 24, 2002 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Stay away from older CD players. Nothing against HK but they are notorious for a high failure rate in their cd players. Also, HK was never brilliant to begin with. Now if you're talking used cd players and you can get a 2 year old 1k Rega Planet for $150.00 then you might have something.

Mine's over 4 years old and just seems to get better all the time. I guess it's not a fashionable brand since Harmon took the company sort of mainstream/mass market. As soon as I can find a, very small, reason to complain about value received, IMNSHO, I'll be sure to let you know.

Jan 24, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by RGA
Stay away from older CD players. Nothing against HK but they are notorious for a high failure rate in their cd players. Also, HK was never brilliant to begin with.

Agreed. HK are notorious for their shoddy quality control..$150 might get you a Cambridge D300SE used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back