Buying a headphone for guitar
Feb 20, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashmedai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From there...Sony v6 + velour mod is ~$100. Pretty sure € > $ currently so that'd do you if you can get a supplier. For more €€ I would be thinking Beyer DT150.

Nah I would not get the DT150s. I keep hearing they need proper amplification.

Even though you might not want to hear this I will recommend the Alessandro MS-1s. I know you want circumaural but the MS-1s come with comfortable pads (the pads are even called comfies
tongue.gif
) and are light bovendien.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also they will stay on your head when rocking out.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hah... I hate using the Sextett when playing my bass guitar, it makes even the tiniest bit of finger noise and fret buzz stand out too much.
tongue.gif

I dont play bass guitar so not quite sure how well it does with that. What I found the Sextett did, was play the warm midrange of electric guitar well.
Also when applying overdrive or distortion, it played it like a guitar amp does, whereas other headphones seemed to have much more harsher treblle and the overdrive sounded like a bee buzzing in your ear.

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also when applying overdrive or distortion, it played it like a guitar amp does, whereas other headphones seemed to have much more harsher treblle and the overdrive sounded like a bee buzzing in your ear.

That's the point I warned against. Distorted guitar sonds nice with both AKG's I have at home - 240M and 501, but I tend to prefer the 240. I wouldn't touch a Grado for that applcation.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #19 of 33
I can't find the K240 Sextett anywhere, but I do see the K240 MKII, is that okay too?
And if I pay about the same for the DT770 Pro and DT990 Pro, which of the three would be best?

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #20 of 33
I can't find the K240 Sextett anywhere, but I do see the K240 MKII, is that okay too? And if I pay about the same for the DT770 Pro and DT990 Pro, which of the three would be best?

Last but not least, do those three need extra amplification? Because I'd like to know if I will be able to use them with my iPod or not.

Sorry, editting went a bit wrong...

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #21 of 33
My DT880 has pretty low volume from my generic mp3 player. I believe an iPod is capable of delivering pretty high volumes so I guess that is covered.
About the K240.. The Sextett is an older version but claimed to be superior to the newer ones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Breznikov /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't find the K240 Sextett anywhere, but I do see the K240 MKII, is that okay too?

Sextett has been discontinued many years ago. You won't find it new for a reasonable amount. K240 MKII would be okay.
Quote:

And if I pay about the same for the DT770 Pro and DT990 Pro, which of the three would be best?

Beyerdynamics are known for their pronounced treble. May sound harsh with guitar.
Quote:

Last but not least, do those three need extra amplification? Because I'd like to know if I will be able to use them with my iPod or not.

These three will benefit from extra amplification. Volume with K240MKII unamped may be sufficient or may not. Sextett, 240M, and 250Ohm Beyers would be too quiet.

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyerdynamics are known for their pronounced treble. May sound harsh with guitar.

Kill the motor.
There are quite some differences between the different Beyer models. It is also a case of close vs open. In general it goes like this (note: veryrough):
DT770: Closed with a lot of bass.
DT880: Semi-open and are treble oriented but not harsh or attacking. Very polite.
DT990: Open. A bit of DT770 and DT880 mixed together in that the bass and treble are emphasized.

All of them could do with a nice amp though.

Feb 21, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #24 of 33
Today I tried to test a few headphones. Unfortunatly I couldn't find a shop dedicated to Audio so I ended up at a large electronics store. Nothing really that I wanted to buy. But when I tried a pair of K 701 (completely out of my budget, I know) I found them very, very comfortable. Therefore I'm wondering if there are any cheaper headphones that feel about the same. So with thick, round, velvet (is that what it's called?) earpads. I didn't really find the Sennheisers that comfortably, certainly not compared to the K 701.

The only headphones near my budget I know with earpads like that are the Beyerdynamic DT770 and DT990. Are there any alternatives with earpads like that?

Feb 22, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #25 of 33
I think you should stretch it and get a Sony R10.

Feb 22, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you should stretch it and get a Sony R10.

I think you should PM me quick where you found this €100 R10 so I can nab it before anyone else finds out.
eek.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Breznikov /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't play Bass, just 'normal' electric guitar. Often with overdrive/distortion.

Right now I am looking at the AKG K 240 MKII Stereo Studio, it just fits in my budget (slightly over because I have to get it here). The K 271 I looked at previously will be more then €120,- which I think is just a bit too much.

I have also found the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro for about €100,- (again, slightly over when I add shipping costs), but that's not very good for rock I understand? And on the same site there is the DT990 Pro for the same price, a bit less then the DT770. Is that any good for my purpose?

Where did you find the DT770 Pro for 100 euros? :O! I just bought mine for 135. Haven't tried them with my guitar yet, will have a go tonight
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by lweijs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you find the DT770 Pro for 100 euros? :O! I just bought mine for 135. Haven't tried them with my guitar yet, will have a go tonight
biggrin.gif

They had "used" ones up (with the pleather pads) on eBay under bd-usa for $100+ship last I saw.

Feb 22, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #30 of 33
No I can't find them for €100,-, but I meant they are near my budget, so not very far out. If they are really very good I could perhaps stretch my budget a bit to get them. Please tell me how they sound and if they are comfortable while playing guitar, I really like to hear.

Cheapest I've found them for is about €123 here, that doesn't include shipping, so the total would be about the same as you've paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back