Buying a digital multi meter
Feb 7, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe a DIYer don't need a super-accurate DMM?

It depends on what you're trying to do.

Say you have a linear power supply. A p.o.s. meter can tell you whether the regulator's shorted -- you see high levels of AC on its output -- or not, and whether it seems to be adjusted correctly. A good meter can tell you whether it's actually regulating decently, because you can measure single-digit millivolts with some reasonable assurance. And a good meter plus some kind of measurement amplifier can let you tell two linear regulators apart just based differences in ripple well below a millivolt.

I know what I want to do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #17 of 18
I bought a Craftsman DMM at Sears on sale for ~$13. It's perfect for my limited needs. I've used it to test and troubleshoot CMoys, and to check continuity from one connector to the other on cable builds, and it's been very helpful in both instances.

Feb 11, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #18 of 18
If you're in a collegiate setting or close to one, befriending the laboratory manager may come in very handy for loans of nicer multimeters like bench Agilents. I scored an 87 after the ECE Dept decided to upgrade their dmms.

Go Fluke at minimum. I've had horrible times with cheap dmm's dying on me after being reading voltage for over 10 continuous minutes (I should've unplugged, I know...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back