Buying a car
Dec 5, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #16 of 31
heh, did you guys know that porches' only have a 4 cylinder engine, all the way up until the carrera GT? and they share the same or similar manufacturing as subaru's? heh, my new useless fact for today
biggrin.gif

Theres the new evo 10 too that i forgot

Rumors say it will be 70k+ in the US, The Gt-R

Dec 5, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cata1yst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heh, did you guys know that porches' only have a 4 cylinder engine, all the way up until the carrera GT? and they share the same or similar manufacturing as subaru's? heh, my new useless fact for today
biggrin.gif

Where, exactly, did you get this info? Even Wikipedia didn't screw up this bad.
rolleyes.gif

Porsches have a 6-cylinder boxer engine (this is the part that is like, not identical with *some* Subarus - the fact that they have a horizontal/boxer engine) from the Boxster to the 911 Turbo. The Cayenne has a V6 for the base, and then gets an upgraded V8 for the other models. Subarus have both 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder versions of their engines, with different engines in different cars.

Carrera GT has a V10, that much you got right.

I'm pretty sure that Porsches are made in Europe, while Subarus are made in the continent that they're going to be sold on, whether it be North America, Asia or Europe, with the exception of some models being made exclusively in Japan. And I'm pretty sure that they have different factories doing the manufacturing.
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #18 of 31
you really shouldn't get a V6 if you are spending that kind of money, get an I6 or flat6, V6 should be relegated only to the economy section of the lot

Dec 5, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #19 of 31
BMW is offering 7500 to 10000 in incentives on '07 Z4 Roadster and Coupes. I have a Z4 3.0i, and I am 6' tall. Plenty of leg room for me. And, as far as I know, it uses an inline-6 if that matters.

Dec 5, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #20 of 31
I know the advice isn't that useful, but I would strongly consider going to an auto show before considering specific cars.

I'm also in the same weight/height category and most cars simply don't fit right. I ended up pretty much writing off four entire brands (Toyota/Honda/VW/Volvo, except the Matrix for some odd reason, I almost bought one) and a lot of models I was interested in
frown.gif

Also, a lot of the sports cars that you're edging have tuned suspensions and light frames that don't have the tolerance for someone who is 300lb+. You really need to give the car a bit of a workout on the test drive.

I ended up with a Subaru Forester XT, for reasons that pretty much have no bearing on the price range you're looking at, but I love it to death.

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #21 of 31
As a note for BMWs (if you're considering one), you won't be able to buy one brand new from the States. It's against the dealerships' policy with BMW NA. However, you may buy a used model from south of the border, although I believe it's without financing or leasing. BMW warranty would still apply in Canada, however the free maintenance plan (free oil change per 24000KM/1 yr) would not apply in Canada (not that it's that great of a maintenance plan in the first place).

With that said though, do check out the new BMW 3-Series, specifically the 335i with the inline-6 twin-turbo, which with an add-on chip, can do from 40-100hp more than advertised. A great site to read up on the new 3-series would be E90Post.com. They are great cars to drive.

Dec 7, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where, exactly, did you get this info? Even Wikipedia didn't screw up this bad.
rolleyes.gif

Porsches have a 6-cylinder boxer engine (this is the part that is like, not identical with *some* Subarus - the fact that they have a horizontal/boxer engine) from the Boxster to the 911 Turbo. The Cayenne has a V6 for the base, and then gets an upgraded V8 for the other models. Subarus have both 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder versions of their engines, with different engines in different cars.

Carrera GT has a V10, that much you got right.

I'm pretty sure that Porsches are made in Europe, while Subarus are made in the continent that they're going to be sold on, whether it be North America, Asia or Europe, with the exception of some models being made exclusively in Japan. And I'm pretty sure that they have different factories doing the manufacturing.
biggrin.gif

i stand corrected....but its fun to say "4 banger"
tongue.gif

Dec 7, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #23 of 31
I would differ with Chu. I'm 6'2", 210 lbs., and I have not had problems fitting into Honda, Toyota, Nissan mid/full size sedans and SUVs.

You may find that many of the two-door sport coupes and smaller sports sedans won't give you enough shoulder and hip room. Those are important specs to consider along with head and leg room.

I have a brother in law who is your size. He is most comfortable in SUVs.

You might look at Acura RL, MDX, and the comparable models from Infiniti and Lexus. One of my nephews recently got a nice mid-sized GMC SUV, ver nice features, price was in the mid $20s US.

As to you credit history...if you are able to put down a meaningful downpayment, and show that you solved your credit issues, that wil help.

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #25 of 31
I like the new 08 STi. The hatch has grown on me with the STi but I still cant stand the regular 08 WRX. I love my STi. Great car IMHO.

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #26 of 31
I am currently looking at an '06-'07 S4, '07 335i, or as an afterthought an '06-'07 Cayman. Now I think that the S4 would be the most practical in the winters here Quattro and all, though I could get a 335xi, but the Porsche is a Porsche
smily_headphones1.gif
. I know how the 335 feels I'm going to try and get to an Audi dealership soon and try an S4 out.

Dec 12, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #27 of 31
I'd wait for the new 08 STi, it should be kick ass! Give the evo X a test drive when they show up here as well. If you want something classier, S4 or 135i
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #28 of 31
I don't think "classy" and "sti" ever belong in the same sentance together
wink.gif

That being said, a lot of people end up regretting buying street legal rally cards because of the suspension. You will feel every bump. Some people like this, some do not. Some people think they're in the other camp until they have to feel every bump, both ways from work, every day.

I've actuially had a semi-serious offer to trade my XT for a same model year STI. It was pretty tempting.

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by devin_mm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently looking at an '06-'07 S4, '07 335i, or as an afterthought an '06-'07 Cayman. Now I think that the S4 would be the most practical in the winters here Quattro and all, though I could get a 335xi, but the Porsche is a Porsche
smily_headphones1.gif
. I know how the 335 feels I'm going to try and get to an Audi dealership soon and try an S4 out.

Wouldn't the S5 be a better comparison to the 335i?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back