Buyer's remorse with Asus Xonar Essence STX?
May 26, 2010 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Epsilonblah

New Head-Fier
I am no stranger to buyers remorse, I was initially quite happy with the STX feeding my Audioengine A5s over stock headphone output but have since been kind of waning. Perhaps its because i've read and seen all your rad setups :) I've been debating as to Whether or not to just sell this and just buy a Nuforce HDP or something similar. Any recommendations?

May 26, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 6
IMO, if you're feeling like this now, you will have the same feeling after sometime with the HDP anyway. A good thing to try is forgetting about sites like this and go listening to some music.

May 26, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #3 of 6
Have you considered changing the opamps?  Most of the STX/ST users around here use custom opamp cofigurations also.
Just as thuantran suggested, don't worry about what other people have, if you do then you will never be happy.

May 27, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
I have looked at the whole  thread, it feels very intimidating.

Nah, changing opamps in sockets is super easy, as long as you recognize which way to throw it in.  Look at a popular setup, google the name, buy a unit, try it out!

May 27, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 6
I agree with Hybrys and ROBSCIX, don't underestimate the improvement a nice opamp upgrade can make. I have a little Cute Beyond HP amp (and Supplier) that I use on my night stand and I swapped out the original opamps for a OPA2627 SuperChip and the Cute now sounds (to me) like a much more expensive amp when driving either my AKG 701's or my Grado 325i's. They’re very easy to switch out, I wore a wrist strap to guard against static buildup and installed them in my kitchen so that I wasn’t standing on carpet. A small investment can make a big improvement, just make sure to read up on what each opamp offers sonically and go with whatever meets YOUR needs. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back