Buyer's remorse ... Did I just waste my money? Note4/SE-535's/FiiO E12A
Dec 20, 2014 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

WJF54

New Head-Fier
Just wondering if I've made a mistake ... I use a Galaxy Note 4 as my primary listening device and never listen to anything of less quality than mp3's at 320. I recently took the plunge and purchased a set of Shure SE-535's and figuring that I'd want to get as much goodness out of them as possible, I just bout a FiiO E12A that I haven't yet received but am expecting shortly. I just discovered Head-Fi today and I've already learned a bunch! Since there seem to be so many knowledgeable folks here, I figured I'd ask a few questions ...

Was I nuts to purchase the E12A? Specifically, will it have any effect on improving the sound or will the 'double-amping' of the phone and the E12A outweigh any potential for improved sound?

Is anyone out there running a similar configuration? What has your experience been?

If you think the E12A was a bad move, is there something else you'd recommend instead?

Thanks! Hoping that maybe I didn't throw my money away but braced for whatever you folks have to tell me. 
wink_face.gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 4
I don't have experience with the GN4. That being said, I ran the e12A via ho on my iphone 6 using shure 846s as the iem. It was noticeably better. The imaging was superior, the bass was prominent but didn't intrude on the mids, there was virtually no hiss, and it made the overall sound a bit less warm and more neutral (which is good to me as I think the iphone 6 out is rather warm).

Whether it was worth the $170 is up for debate, however. I'm still torn myself!

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #3 of 4
Hi Snarkyd - Thank you so much for your reply! I'm somewhat encouraged by your experience. If you didn't run into trouble with "double amping" by  connecting to the E12A with you Headphone out on the iPhone, maybe I won't either. Also encouraging to hear that you noticed an improvement in sound.

I guess I'll have to wait until the E12 arrives and play with it a bit. It was an impulse buy for me ... there is nothing that is all that awful with the sound straight out of the Note 4, I was just hoping to turn "good" into "great" and the E12A seemed like it might help me to achieve that goal. If my experience differs from yours, I might try the E-18 since it has a DAC and an AMP or I may just forgo it altogether ...

One thing's for sure ... I LOVE the SE-535's! Initially, I felt kinda stupid paying that kind of money for a set of IEM's but now that I have them, I feel like they're worth every penny I paid.

Anyway ... thanks again for taking the time to respond ... I really appreciate it!

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 4
You're welcome, WJF54.

No problems double amping inasmuch as there was no clipping or added hiss (although if the HO of the GN4 generates hiss it will still be there).

It's still discernibly a Fiio amp with their sound signature, but I think it sounds the best out of their product line (to me, anyway). Have not tried the e18, but if it's anything like the e17 I think the muses in the e12a is preferable. It also has enough power to drive the akg K7xx series and HD650 reasonably well.

It might actually still be too powerful. I'm considering returning the e12a because of an issue with the LO on my DAP, but that's a totally separate issue from running it out of your GN4 where you can control the output.

Oh, enjoy your 535! It is indeed excellent and I still have mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back