Buyer requesting refund, please adjudicate
Dec 20, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #18 of 38
I am glad that you posted here, that way other people know this kind of things can happen, maybe you could have left the name of the person out, but is good to ask for help and advice from people with more experience. We can all learn from posts like this

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #19 of 38
I'm confused on why it is so difficult to just replace the washer? I'd probably refund them $10 for the parts and 10mins it will take to unscrew the headband and put a new washer in.
It is the earcups screws, not the headband screws. They are likely proprietary screws from Audeze, and they have already been stripped once.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #20 of 38
A missing washer and stripped screw is not a big deal and I would offer to replace parts or a partial refund or do a return if necessary. The buyer’s worry that these headphones were tampered with IS concerning. Even if he would open them up and confirm they are stock he might still feel nervous something is amiss and not have peace of mind. Depends on the person. I’d refund if he is not okay with it.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #22 of 38
It is the earcups screws, not the headband screws. They are likely proprietary screws from Audeze, and they have already been stripped once.
So, is the cup damaged?

Anyway, when you sell something you should make sure to describe it properly so the buyer knows what's the condition of the item. If the seller missed something then returning the item seems reasonable to me. Detailed photos are very helpful in situations like these.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #23 of 38
So, is the cup damaged?

Anyway, when you sell something you should make sure to describe it properly so the buyer knows what's the condition of the item. If the seller missed something then returning the item seems reasonable to me. Detailed photos are very helpful in situations like these.
As noted by Philimon, I am concerned about what the original owner did with the earcups. For now, besides the visual elements I have described, the only noticeable thing is the weird grinding/tension noise from the left earcup when putting the headphones on.

Dec 20, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #24 of 38
A missing washer and a stripped thread is definitely not "immaculate condition" if that is what these were listed as.

The buyer should definitely have the option to return for a full refund.

This is no different than selling a "mint" headphone with dings and scratches.

Dec 20, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #25 of 38
You have to be very careful to not over-promise in the description. It's called "puffery" in the legal community. I was bit 15 years ago when I described an AV Switch "like new", and got a negative score because the buyer "Did not look like it would be picked off shelf in store new." If you use terms like "immaculate", "mint", "like new" make sure the product fits or give it a more realistic description, like "used but great shape". Or "looks and works really well for a 2 year old headphone"?

Dec 20, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #26 of 38
I'm confused on why it is so difficult to just replace the washer? I'd probably refund them $10 for the parts and 10mins it will take to unscrew the headband and put a new washer in.

Mental note to myself. Don't buy anything from this person.

Dec 20, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #28 of 38
A missing washer and stripped screw is not a big deal and I would offer to replace parts or a partial refund or do a return if necessary. The buyer’s worry that these headphones were tampered with IS concerning. Even if he would open them up and confirm they are stock he might still feel nervous something is amiss and not have peace of mind. Depends on the person. I’d refund if he is not okay with it.
As noted by Philimon, I am concerned about what the original owner did with the earcups. For now, besides the visual elements I have described, the only noticeable thing is the weird grinding/tension noise from the left earcup when putting the headphones on.

With expensive products, like headphones, a stripped screw and missing washer would concern me too. The basic question is why did the original owner strip the screw and misplace the washer? General curiosity or something more serious?

At this point, that mystery would cause me to move on and look for different headphones as I don't want someone else's "basket case".

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #29 of 38
I hesitate to reply to this thread as it was resolved about a week ago. But, it has my Irish up as I would hate to think someone might come across this post and think it was handled appropriately.

Awhile back, I purchased an amp from a reputable used Hifi Dealer. I had it for a couple of months and then sold it on these forums. A month or so after the transaction was completed, the buyer came back to me and told me they discovered the amp had been modified, but couldn't identify why or how it was modified. I immediately issued him a full refund and paid for the return shipping even though I had no idea the amp had been modified. It would have never occurred to me to claim cavot emptor or look to crowdsource the decision. And, the used HiFi dealer did the same with me even though I told them that I had sold it to a third-party who found the mod.

I am certain there are bad actors on this site and when they're discovered they should be called out for what they are. But, I choose to assume everyone is acting in good faith and go out of my way to do the right thing at all times. Otherwise, this forum is no better than eBay. Not because I am holly than tho or have money to burn, but because I really like buying different toys to try and have a place to sell them when I want to try another. The better we all behave toward each other, the better this forum becomes.

@Junglebook3 you should have apologized for misrepresenting the headphones, offered a full refund, and paid for the return shipping, period.

Dec 27, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #30 of 38
I hesitate to reply to this thread as it was resolved about a week ago. But, it has my Irish up as I would hate to think someone might come across this post and think it was handled appropriately.

Awhile back, I purchased an amp from a reputable used Hifi Dealer. I had it for a couple of months and then sold it on these forums. A month or so after the transaction was completed, the buyer came back to me and told me they discovered the amp had been modified, but couldn't identify why or how it was modified. I immediately issued him a full refund and paid for the return shipping even though I had no idea the amp had been modified. It would have never occurred to me to claim cavot emptor or look to crowdsource the decision. And, the used HiFi dealer did the same with me even though I told them that I had sold it to a third-party who found the mod.

I am certain there are bad actors on this site and when they're discovered they should be called out for what they are. But, I choose to assume everyone is acting in good faith and go out of my way to do the right thing at all times. Otherwise, this forum is no better than eBay. Not because I am holly than tho or have money to burn, but because I really like buying different toys to try and have a place to sell them when I want to try another. The better we all behave toward each other, the better this forum becomes.

@Junglebook3 you should have apologized for misrepresenting the headphones, offered a full refund, and paid for the return shipping, period.

Are saying he sold them in bad faith and deceived the buyer?

Before things get blown way out of context, if both parties are asking in good faith, what is unreasonable with the general tone of this thread? Good people may overlook subtle details in good faith without the intention of deceit or deception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back