Buyer requesting refund, please adjudicate
Dec 27, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #31 of 38
I hesitate to reply to this thread as it was resolved about a week ago. But, it has my Irish up as I would hate to think someone might come across this post and think it was handled appropriately.

Awhile back, I purchased an amp from a reputable used Hifi Dealer. I had it for a couple of months and then sold it on these forums. A month or so after the transaction was completed, the buyer came back to me and told me they discovered the amp had been modified, but couldn't identify why or how it was modified. I immediately issued him a full refund and paid for the return shipping even though I had no idea the amp had been modified. It would have never occurred to me to claim cavot emptor or look to crowdsource the decision. And, the used HiFi dealer did the same with me even though I told them that I had sold it to a third-party who found the mod.

I am certain there are bad actors on this site and when they're discovered they should be called out for what they are. But, I choose to assume everyone is acting in good faith and go out of my way to do the right thing at all times. Otherwise, this forum is no better than eBay. Not because I am holly than tho or have money to burn, but because I really like buying different toys to try and have a place to sell them when I want to try another. The better we all behave toward each other, the better this forum becomes.

@Junglebook3 you should have apologized for misrepresenting the headphones, offered a full refund, and paid for the return shipping, period.

Dear internet stranger and ultimate arbiter of truth, I greet you from my humble corner on this Earth, I hope this message finds you OK up on your holiest of mountains.

First, I'd like to thank you for your opinion, days later after the buyer already received his refund (which I happily agreed to the day I posted the dispute thread, and issued the day after I received the headphones), and a new buyer happily bought this pair of headphones, after following a completely transparent process. The original buyer is content, but you aren't, so let's explore.

There's two explanations for what happened:

1) I hatched an evil plan way back in March when I started buying and selling tens of thousands worth of headphones, building a long trade history here and on Reddit, only then to act on this genius long con by hiding a minor creaking sound on the left earcup of a $500 LCD-GX, selling them to an unsuspecting victim, only then to draw huge amounts of attention to it by transparently posting about it because I didn't know what was customary to do in this situation, then promptly issuing a refund without a hint of pushback. It's not like this scenario is in the community guidelines.
2) Or, I considered the LCD-GX in excellent shape. I bought them used off a Reddit user, I was super happy with their condition, didn't notice a very minor issue, and sold them off at a great price.

But you seem to know more than I do here, so you tell me which scenario is more likely.

I don't tend to use snark or get into silly internet fights but implying I was somehow in the wrong here is ridiculous.

Dec 27, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #33 of 38
Are saying he sold them in bad faith and deceived the buyer?

Before things get blown way out of context, if both parties are asking in good faith, what is unreasonable with the general tone of this thread? Good people may overlook subtle details in good faith without the intention of deceit or deception.

No, I am absolutely not suggesting he sold them in bad faith. I am suggesting it doesn't matter. The fact is a defective item was sold. Reasonable people can disagree on how material the defective was, but it was and the seller should make good without question.

Dec 27, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #34 of 38
Dear internet stranger and ultimate arbiter of truth, I greet you from my humble corner on this Earth, I hope this message finds you OK up on your holiest of mountains.

First, I'd like to thank you for your opinion, days later after the buyer already received his refund (which I happily agreed to the day I posted the dispute thread, and issued the day after I received the headphones), and a new buyer happily bought this pair of headphones, after following a completely transparent process. The original buyer is content, but you aren't, so let's explore.

There's two explanations for what happened:

1) I hatched an evil plan way back in March when I started buying and selling tens of thousands worth of headphones, building a long trade history here and on Reddit, only then to act on this genius long con by hiding a minor creaking sound on the left earcup of a $500 LCD-GX, selling them to an unsuspecting victim, only then to draw huge amounts of attention to it by transparently posting about it because I didn't know what was customary to do in this situation, then promptly issuing a refund without a hint of pushback. It's not like this scenario is in the community guidelines.
2) Or, I considered the LCD-GX in excellent shape. I bought them used off a Reddit user, I was super happy with their condition, didn't notice a very minor issue, and sold them off at a great price.

But you seem to know more than I do here, so you tell me which scenario is more likely.

I don't tend to use snark or get into silly internet fights but implying I was somehow in the wrong here is ridiculous.

I fully believe the 2nd and still think you should have provided a full refund and paid the return shipping without having to ask for guidance.

Jan 16, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #38 of 38
I think buying and selling used is always a risk. Sometimes people are honest and do not mean to misrepresent what they are selling. I have had 2 occasions where my item came to me smelling gawd awful, and 4 occasions of product arriving with undisclosed damage (One with significant damage). I try to be as transparent as possible but you never know, you could accidentally miss something. The important part is how you resolve the issue at hand. I think Junglebook3 acted very reasonably and if I was the party that received the Audeze....I would be pleased with the resolution. Being honest is the name of the game. That said lately I have been extremely selective with whom I buy from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back