Buy Westone 3's now or wait til the 4's come out?
Jan 11, 2011 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jmy2469

New Head-Fier
I have been browsing because I want to buy new earphones for my iPhone 4. I was just about to buy the Westone 3's, then I read that the Westone 4's will be available soon. What would you do? Buy the 3's or wait til the 4's come out and buy them?

Jan 13, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 3
Wait. They are far better than 3s  
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 3
[size=10pt]While it is early, there seems to be relatively low fanfare about W4.  I guess this is maybe a good thing and provides a more realistic vision about it.  Do people recall the [/size][size=10pt]INSANE amount of love and fanfare over W3?  Granted it was a long-delayed and anticipated product but I read nothing even close to that effect about W4.  [/size][size=10pt]To me it sounds more like a SE535 clone with more bass and a few other refinements.  [/size]

[size=10pt]I don't really care that it has a more forward midrange.  The fact that W3 DIDN'T have a forward or pronounced midrange is EXACTLY what gave it it's fun and unique character, large soundstage, etc.  Flavio is saying the W4 soundstage is smaller and treble not as crisp.  These are negatives in my mind.  I know it is difficult for any IEM to "do it all" but W3 was definitely ground-breaking and new.  W4 sounds more like subtle refinements of what already exists.  I'd be looking for an unbiased comparison between SE535 and W4 before plunging $450 on W4.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back