buy sr60 in chicago area?
Jun 2, 2007 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Thade

100+ Head-Fier
hey all. I finally settled on shure E4 after going thru heck trying out different iems. I use my ksc75 lounging around listening and iems for works out & cutting the grass. I got the Grado bug and I really want to try out sr60 or sr80. I usually save a few bucks ordering online but I also hate to wait. Any idea where I can pick some up locally? I'm in the South suburbs of Chicago (Plainfield) close to Joliet. I don't mind traveling a bit...

TIA

Jun 2, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 17
Is there a Virgin Megastore near where you live? The one where I live carries the SR-60s, SR-80s, and 125s.

Ordering online through ttvj only took 3 days....and I'm in cali.

Jun 2, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey all. I finally settled on shure E4 after going thru heck trying out different iems. I use my ksc75 lounging around listening and iems for works out & cutting the grass. I got the Grado bug and I really want to try out sr60 or sr80. I usually save a few bucks ordering online but I also hate to wait. Any idea where I can pick some up locally? I'm in the South suburbs of Chicago (Plainfield) close to Joliet. I don't mind traveling a bit...

TIA

I think Holm Audio at the corner of 75th St and 355 carries Grado phones. They're on the NE corner.

Jun 2, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

TIA

I'm actually quite close to you (Frankfort), if you want to hear my SR225's, I'm sure I could meet you somewhere for a trial.

As for buying one in person, I would consider going used in the F/S forums if possible.

Jun 2, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nismo96 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Holm Audio at the corner of 75th St and 355 carries Grado phones. They're on the NE corner.

Nice place. Another option is also audio consultants, they have various locations throughout, their closest to you may be hinsdale, but i would check their site and see if anything else is closer.

Jun 2, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 17
Holm Audio is no longer a dealer. Audio consultants is fresh out of 60s but they do have one pair of 80s so I may keep looking a or just snag the 80s. Sure, I can buy online but geez it's the weekend
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Thanks all! Now I'm sort of leaning toward sr80s. is it true that they are harder to drive? All I'm using is an unamped zen micro

They run fine unamped still
wink.gif

Jun 2, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a Virgin Megastore near where you live? The one where I live carries the SR-60s, SR-80s, and 125s.

Ordering online through ttvj only took 3 days....and I'm in cali.

The virgin megastore in downtown chicago also carries the SR-60s, SR-80s, and 125s. They had a bunch on the second floor when I went a couple of weeks ago.

Jun 2, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #13 of 17
all righty, instant "gradofication" ! I went over to Audio consultants and picked up my SR-80s I also got a pair of senn h414 pads. I'm only in the 1st few minutes of listening but this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Jun 2, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by zyxwvutsr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The virgin megastore in downtown chicago also carries the SR-60s, SR-80s, and 125s. They had a bunch on the second floor when I went a couple of weeks ago.

I've heard they're closing. Not sure when, and probably not within the next week, but I've heard they're closing up shop and some kinda clothing store (H&M?) is moving into the location. Might yield a sale in the coming few months...

Jun 2, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #15 of 17
I sent Grado Labs an email about a year ago to ask the same question. Here is the answer I got:

Audio Consultants - Chicagao, Evanston, Hinsdale, Libertyville
Saturday Audio Exchange - Chicago
Decibel Audio - Chicago

Thanks so much, and please enjoy.

Regards,

Grado Labs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back