Buy shure e2 or e3? GF took my MD33s
Jan 20, 2006 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

w0lla

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so here I am again asking for your expertise in the manner of IEMs
biggrin.gif

Last year I bought 2 pair of Sharps MD33, one pair for my girlfriend (ipod mini) and one pair for me. We all know how women are with electronics
eek.gif
they could care less, so as figured, her MD33 broke (one of the buds stopped working) after taking many hits on the bottom of her bag. So she took my MD33s while I was using my Koss Porta Pros.

But now I want to use IEM:s again, isolates better and more discrete. I could buy another pair of Md33s, but I want IEM:s which isolate more (and fits better). I would want to buy the new Shures (E4c/g/etcetc) but those just cost too much. So Shure E3c/g and Shure E2 are the options for me, or any other bud in the same price range. I have a IFP-999, which I think should Be powerfull enough to use the "full capacity" of the buds (18mW(R) + 18mW(L)). Now I've read really mixed up feelings about the shure E2, some say its great, some say they'r useless and so on, so Iam alittle sceptical. I wouldnt want to buy buds which dont have (atleast) the same sound quality as the MD33s. So then I read about the Shure E3 which have gotten pretty decent reviews but I've read that some think the bass is very weak=?.

I mainly listen to Rock (old school; led zep, gnr, metallica,pink floyd and so on) and Hiphop/rap.

Anybody out there whos gone from MD33s to Shure E2/3, I would appreciate your comments on this manner.

Jan 20, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 5
I haven't gone from the MD33's to the Shures, but I have gone from Sony 51's/71's and Panasonic canal phones to Etymotics ER6's and Shure E3C IEMs. I didn't pay full retail price for the Shures (look around on the 'net and check with the Head-Fi sponsor sites) -- I think I paid $129 instead of the $179 list price. I like the sound and perception of sturdiness, for the price. (Shure is said to have good customer service, too, if that's a factor.) I get the impression that they could stand up to careful everyday use. Also, I've read that the Westone UM1's are comparable, and perhaps a bit less expensive. The Shure E2's are supposed to be physically a little bigger and bass-heavy, which may or may not be to your liking.

Anyway, I was listening to the Shure E3C's from a Rio Carbon last night, and they're a step up from the general canal phone class of earphones (although, again, I haven't heard the MD33's ... I'd like to hear them and the Creatives sometime). I find the sound quite good, even if it's not astonishing, or anything like that. Some say the E3C's represent one of the lower rungs of the Head-Fi stairway to heaven, but it's still a step up. The big jump is apparently to the dual-driver IEMs, but those would represent a real jump in price, as well.

Jan 20, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 5
how do you think the E3's sound with "base" (hiphop or similar) music? I dont mind paying the extra buck for the E3's (over the E2's) if they have better sound

Jan 20, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 5
I listen to a huge variety of music, ranging from the early 50's to last week, and I do have a few bass-heavy songs on my audio players (Massive Attack, Brian Eno, Prince, Alabama 3, Groove Armada, and others I can't think of because I'm supposed to be working right now). I'd say the E3C's have "polite" bass -- it's there, just not slamming, by any means. I've read that the Westones might have more bass, but that they sound similar to the Shure E3C's. Supposedly the Shure E2C's are a bit muddy sounding, but the bass is more prominent. I don't know anything about the Ultimate Ears.

I think of the E3C's as being relatively "neutral" and versatile -- at their price range, I think they're an improvement on basic canal phones, but they're not supposed to be up there with the more expensive single-driver or the dual-driver 'phones.

If you're the cautious type, stick with another pair of Sharps, and save up for more expensive IEMs for later on this year. You're not going to go too wrong with virtually any IEM, but if you do have really specific preferences and you're worried about second-guessing your decision, stick with what you know for now (but that's not the Head-Fi way, now, is it?
etysmile.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back