Buy new sound card or not?
Feb 7, 2011 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SoundWhore

New Head-Fier
I'm getting Superlux 668B headphones and I'll use them for hobby music production. I wonder if I really need to buy a new sound card too, because they can be quite expensive and I'm skeptical about if there will be any considerable quality gain since I'm not some audiophile.Power-wise I don't need any new, because these cans are known to be quite sensitive.

Other reason why might I buy it is concerning DAW. When I load more intensive VST plugins in program, glitches start to appear. I enabled ASIO of course, but I have to push buffer size a lot and latency then becomes too noticeable. Can I fix this problem with new soundcard or this is a CPU/RAM problem?

thank you in advance

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 3
VST's are usually more stressful on the cpu. most are cpu friendly but others can stress the hell out of it especially using multiple plugins and effects. if it's just VST concern then it'll be better to shoot for a nicer cpu and ram upgrade and a nice cheap soundcard(i like turtle beach's stuff).

a dedicated soundcard will help with cleaner recording. i use a cheap turtle beach riviera soundcard and it works very well with crystal clear recording running it into my sansui 5000x receiver.

what are your current specs? 

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 3
"what are your current specs?"
I use cell phone earplugs (samsung kf750), home made "monitors" (read: very coloured noise boxes :) )",  all run by realtek's ALC888 onboard sound card. CPU is amd athlon 5k+ dual core processor (2.6Ghz) and there's 2GB of RAM. DAW is FL studio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back