Buy new portable source or amp?
Jan 15, 2008 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Obiwang

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've been reading the forums for quite awhile but just recently signed up. I currently own a ipod 5.5g 30gig along with Denon C700 IEM's & Sennheiser HD580's. I'm now looking to either upgrade my source to the new sony nwz818's or a new headphone amp. Which upgrade would get better sound out of my headphones? thanks.

Jan 15, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 12
x2 if you're planning on staying portable, get an ipod line out dock and a portable amp.. there are even DIY amps that if you think you could, you could build yourself, or have someone else build for you (generally a better performance/price ratio).

to help you a bit more, lay out how much you can spend on it in the near future, and if you'd like to stay portable.

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 12
get a line-out cable for the ipod and buy a headphone amp.

Jan 23, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the replies! any suggestions on what portable headphone amp would match well with Denon C700's ? I've heard good things about headsix and also the hornets. I would like something portable enough to carry to campus with IEM's, also good enough to use at home with my macbook so perhaps a dual headphone amp / dap usb combo? thanks!

Jan 24, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #6 of 12
hello first post,

where could i find a line-out cable

and im new to high end sound, does this sound like an ok rig:

nano 1st gen + pav2v2 amp + alessandro ms-1

and is correct that you NEED a line-out for the ipod if your going to have an amp?

Jan 24, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 12
No you don't need an LOD to use an amp, but you will get alot better SQ with one IMHO. As far as where to get one, I would recommend buying one from Turbo. He is a fellow Head-fier, and his products are of very good quality and fairly priced (about 50 bucks). Not to mention any names, but some of the other dealers are just to overpriced for what you get.

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #10 of 12
Skylab reviews will help you a ton (link posted by someone earlier) in choosing a portable amp, very insightful.

Also you have to consider your budget since cables are far from being given. An amp+LOD can set you back anywhere between 125$ to 450$ (of course higher is possible but I'm assuming you're not quite there).

I'm using a Turbo Diabolicious LOD and so far the build seems very solid though I can't compare it..

Also one of the other most popular LOD maker I've seen around is ALO...

One of your option is to browse through the picture thread for portable amps, it'll give you ideas about size and such.

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

can you tell me why

1st gen nano's headphone output is good enough to drive your Alessandros properly(at least as properly as portable setup can). Pa2V2 maybe produce some improvement, but only in max volume level department. It's not worth to mess with additional device on the go in your case. Pa2v2 will be useful if you get other cans, which a more power hungry.

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #12 of 12
When I joined Head-fi a few years ago, I got a Meier Porta Corda II amp from a group buy. I like it a lot w/ my MS-1 & KSC-75. Now, Head-fi has another deal with Meier, the Headsix. Its $150, but read Skylab's impression of the Porta Corda III. The Headsix is like the Move, Meier's replacement for the PCIII (I think)? I believe a purchase also supports Head-fi?
[Just a satisfied customer not looking to upgrade my portable amp, or
affiliated w/ Meier & Head-Fi]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back