Buy new clothes or new headphones?
Aug 29, 2014 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Genjisleeps

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my money and I just got done helping paying my dads bills. So right now I got $441. I only got 3 sets of clothes. Should I new clothes or new headphones? XD

Sep 1, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #5 of 13
  I just got my money and I just got done helping paying my dads bills. So right now I got $441. I only got 3 sets of clothes. Should I new clothes or new headphones? XD

Buy a $100 or so IEM then buy clothes. I have no idea how you can get by with just three sets of clothes - that means you have to do laundry twice a week (thrice in some weeks). That will also put too much wear and tear on your clothes from washing and even if you had Lacoste shirts (my friend's brother still uses his dad's 20 year-old plus shirts, which aside from bacon collars and faded colors, are still pretty solid), the constant exposure to sweat, detergents, and drier heat will still give you bacon collars/sleeve ends much sooner.

No need to buy anything expensive - you can get decent pants from department stores. Arizona Jeans are my favorite denims and you can get them for as low as $17 each; then khakis for around the same price, which I sometimes get from Costco. Shirts from the same department store or even Costco should go from $15 to $25 for collared (tennis, golf, etc) shirts. When I'm in the US I do most of my shopping in Vegas outlet malls - even if I lived in a climate with four seasons I'd rather wear last year's designs that I can buy at half price out of season than buy the latest stuff. Also autumn rain wear works well for our wet season (it'll be hot when the rain just started pouring, but by the time I step out of the car and into a building the A/C will be close to autumn farther from the equator). 

Sep 1, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 13
Well, i can say, just go to local goodwill, pick 4 pair of jeans for $16 ( $4 each ), two T-shirts for $2 and a two shirts for $8, then 2 pair of shoes for $10. 
Oh, don't forget about the accessories, you can get 2 belts for $6, then visit Dollar Tree or 99 cents and get a sunglasses for 1 buck.
Because you already had 3 sest of clothes, so with 4 sets, you will have enough stuffs to wear in the week ( just do laundry once a week )

After all of them, you will have $398 in hands, borrow 2 dollars from somebody, you will have $400 for headphones.

Sound great, right ?

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 13
  Protege, this is quite possibly the most amazing piece of literature ever created.  I can't stop laughing.

For what it's worth I wasn't trying to be funny, it's just that I just honestly can't imagine how to do with just three sets of clothes. I did think he might be exaggerating, but even then reality might not actually be far off three sets. I mean, I have enough so in case I can't do laundry for one week I'd still have enough to last me almost two more weeks, with one set of clothes for out of the house and one set for when I'm just at home.

It's like when I read this article several years ago when they interviewed a street racer at the height of F&F's fame (around the first movie), who said he ate instant noodles for over a year saving up for a new turbo and intercooler. I can't imagine not eating sushi and steak at all for even a month unless I really had to (like if I was in a situation where military rations are likely the only food available).

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #11 of 13
  I'm sorry I know, but that's what makes it amazing.  Love the detailed strategy and the Arizona Jeans drop.

Well it is cheap. I'll save money when I can so I can spend on audio and gaming, and also saving up for a serious bike, but I'm not going to use just three sets of clothes! (or eat instant noodles for a year)

Sep 1, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 13
Aren't headphones clothing in a way? I mean, who here doesn't feel naked without wearing them :wink: 

More seriously, do you currently own headphones already? If so, which ones? You might be able to buy a new set of cans for around $300, leaving you some money for clothes, and (if you have cans worth half a dime), sell your current headphones... and add some shoes to those clothes :p

For $300, we're talking HiFiMan HE-400 (which I own and love).  You can find Sennheiser HD595's or AKG 702's on Amazon for around $225.

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #13 of 13
Sell all your clothes and add the proceeds to your headphone fund, for such is the way of Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back