Buy it for looks, Buy it for life. on a budget?
Mar 14, 2011 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Maxtablasta

New Head-Fier
$3000 or so

I appreciate quality sound

I want something unique

The Shangling style CD/IPOD players  (they look money)
I'd get speakers and what ever else it takes to make it work.

You can spend a mint putting together a great system. I want something nice, that sounds good and looks good without breaking the bank.

I'm just learning to walk here, my eyes and ears are open!

Ps...love tubes, like B&W speakers but honestly haven't a clue.

Mar 14, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #2 of 5
A high end headphone set up can be had for 3k but you'll hardly get a quality speaker set up for that money if you're looking to go for an all out life time system.

Perhaps start with a high end headphone set-up that has parts that can be used in a speaker system too.

Try various headphones to find sound signatures that suit you and then read other peoples impressions on here to make a decision.

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 5
I beg to differ you can get a very good value for money speaker setup for under 3k and probably even less that no headphone will be able to touch. Take for example my Orpheus Apollo floorstanding speakers they set me back 2k and produce a life like soundstage and detail that is at least on par with my LCD-2's along with such quality bass. I've heard the LCD-2's and HD800's out of a 5k EC Balancing Act and the experience they offer does not even start to compare to what I get from my speakers. If you are in a position to get speakers and are not limited by space or noise concerns then there is no reason IMO why you would choose headphones over even a modest speaker setup. @OP: Just go to a few audio stores and start auditioning some speakers till you find a pair that you like. 
Quote:
A high end headphone set up can be had for 3k but you'll hardly get a quality speaker set up for that money if you're looking to go for an all out life time system.

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 5
You can't put together a high end system from that budget. You're just considering speakers , it doesn't include the pamp, preamp and other components - unless the system is off a vintage receiver.  If we're discussing high end audio speakers, then 5k would be a good starting point for speakers alone.  If we're not, then there are definitely speakers in the 1k range and systems for another 2k.

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #5 of 5
I think you can put together a very satisfying  stereo system for under $2000.00. Consider a CD Receiver, like the one in the TEAC Reference Series, and maybe a pair of B&W bookshelf speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back