Buy iHP-120 now, or wait?
Jul 30, 2004 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Mark Larson

Head-Fier
I'm almost dead-set on an iHP-120, even though the iPod 20GB is now the same price.

I would be ordering it through Amazon.com only. Do you think i should get it now or wait some time for the price to drop now that Apple has dropped the price on the 20GB iPod??

If i do end up waiting, how long do you think i should wait? Weeks? Months?

I do have a SlimX for the time being, but the skipping on that thing is driving me insane (i use it a lot in the car). Will the iHP-120 be affected by being jarred about in a car for extended periods of time? I would keep it on the seat or in my lap if need be, but i draw the line at holding it in my hand to suspend it like i do with my iMP-350.
mad.gif

Thanks all
rs1smile.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 8:26 AM Post #3 of 43
Don't waste your taco money
wink.gif

Seriously, those DAPs are old technology which have been released more then a year ago. Stick around a few more months and 1 prices will drop 2 there will be newer and better DAPs out. Hold on to your money for a bit longer if you're not in a hurry.

Jul 30, 2004 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 43
Maybe, the price drops $ 20 or even $ 30 within the next 2 or 3 months. But I doubt that $ 30 mean a lot of money for someone who is going to pay $ 300 for a DAP.

With regard to consumer-electronics, the time you buy a product, the price already dropped 10 %. Bu I don't mind - as long as I'm really, really satisfied with the product I bought - and that's the case with my ihp-120
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 9:07 AM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aydn
wink.gif

Seriously, those DAPs are old technology which have been released more then a year ago. Stick around a few more months and 1 prices will drop 2 there will be newer and better DAPs out. Hold on to your money for a bit longer if you're not in a hurry.

there's always something new coming out, if you cant make up your mind you will always be waiting for newer toys

Jul 30, 2004 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aydn
wink.gif

Creative, iRiver, and Apple just released new players, are you telling me that now they will be releasing new ones again in a few months?

I say get it now!

Jul 30, 2004 at 11:23 AM Post #7 of 43
i say get it now and you will be happy. the more you wait the more you'll get anxious. i dont think the price will drop by very much. there is a minimal price that it will stay at for a long time. the iriver slimx imp350 have been out since how long and even now the price is still $110. even if the price go down, it wont be a lot, like a 20 bucks difference maybe.

goodluck. (btw, i voted buy tacos since its a less wasteful way of spending money)

Jul 30, 2004 at 12:03 PM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
(btw, i voted buy tacos since its a less wasteful way of spending money)

I agree. Buy the tacos and have some friends over for a good time.

Jul 30, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Creative, iRiver, and Apple just released new players, are you telling me that now they will be releasing new ones again in a few months?

I say get it now!

I'm not sure audio only devices are forthcoming from iRiver but the portable media players look exciting for those who want music and movie on the go. Personally, unless the urge overwhelms, I say wait and see what the next couple of months brings.....Karma2, iRiver PMP's and very likely more price drops. JMO.

Jul 30, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #12 of 43
I actually kinda doubt that the prices will drop with the introduction of new hardware. Part of this is because I'm seriously considering buying a karma right now, and don't want to see this happen... but comparing this market to the computer industry, what'll happen is that the current products will largely stay at their current levels, and the new products will establish a new higher price level. They'll eventually whittle down in the space of a year though, at least the high end.

Jul 30, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #13 of 43

Burrito. Taco taco. Burrito. Taco. Taco taco.
Don't think that just because I got a lot of money
I'll give you taco-flavored kisses, honey!
Fulfill all your wishes with my taco-flavored kisses.
Taco taco. Burrito Burri...to. Taco taco.
__________________________________________________ __________

Baby let's make a run for the border,
I've got a hunger only tacos can stop.
I know exactly what I ordered
Three tacos two tostadas and a soda pop.

I need to make a run for the border,
If you pay I'll take off my top.
Do you remember what I want to order?
Three tacos two tostadas and a soda pop.
Yeah yeah, and don't forget the hot sauce, Cholo!

Don't think just because I got money
I won't still give you taco-flavord kisses, honey.
I'm gonna fulfill all your sexy wishes
Give you lots of taco-flavored kisses

Jul 30, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 43
Right..and now for some real advice.... Um, headache and Profinger were dead on I think. It also depends on what you're really looking for. Also remember, that the Karma 2 may be coming out in a couple months, and it may address the current problems that the Karma is plagued with. The current IHP IMO, is all the DAP I really need, and with the announcement of all the new firmware stuff we're getting, that makes things even better.

I personally have no use for the Iriver 3xx series DAP, and find it to be way to bulky. The next DAP I get will be either the same size or smaller than the 120..I can't see getting a bigger one. Also, depending on how the firmware updates turn out, I'll either want or not want a Karma. I would like to see just a few things come to fruition with the IHP:

Gapless that really works
Real programmable OTF Playlists and not some hokey incarnation of it
Better use of the data base features
faster text scrolling (horizontal)

If you look at the list for the up-coming promised firmware (one in August and one in October supposedly), you 'll see that there's quite a list of new things to come. However, I worry that some of the implamentations will be (sorry to say) half cocked. It would be nice if they got it right, but after seeing how things have gone up till now, I can't believe that they couldn't get it right way back when..

Quote:

1. H100 Series

First Upgrade (Expected end of July ~ early August)

New features

1) File delete function supported

(Files can be deleted from the player itself) – on the fly file delete

2) Format function supported

(Will be supported for Window 2000/XP- based devices due to difficulty in formatting 40GB files from the operating platform)

3) Adjustable playback speed supported

(Playback speed cannot be manipulated as in the iFPs but adjustments can be made with select speed options)

4) Gaps between songs can be deleted

(Gaps are deleted through scanning for silent periods at the end of the music file) - Gapless playback.

5) DB Unicode is supported

(Supports technology in Unicode).

6) DB OGG file adding is supported (OGG is supported in DB Update).

7) Hebrew language added.

8) Sub folders supported for TEXT folders.

9) SHUFFLE function improved to Real Shuffle.

10) Problem with ID3 Tags resolved with EXÎÃ (Problems from using MP3GAIN resolved).

11) Remote control display problems from NAVI functions in PLAYLIST mode fixed.

12) Internal playlist supported (Programming function supported) on the fly playlist.

13) Problems of FM tuner display fixed.

14) Interference on the display from remote control usage is fixed.

15) External battery supported for H100 series (External batteries will be recognizable for the H100 series).

16) Problems recognizing select files in Japanese fixed.

Second Upgrade (Expected in October)

New features

1) Recording volume adjustment function supported.

2) No recording delay from the push of the RECORD button.

3) MONO recording supported (Supported during VOICE Recording)

4) Truncated voice recording fixed.

5) SAD function supported.

6) AUTO SYNC function supported.

After all this though, when all is said and done, I really love my IHP 120. It's an effortless task transferring music to it from windows. I either rip my music in appropriate folders STRAIGHT TO the iHP, or to my pc then drag and drop multiple folders..There's also plenty of programs which keep track of your library and sync your IHP and PC if you'd like. The possibilities are many, which is nice. The sound of it still amazes me after a year, I love the audio quality so much. And nothing can be better than keeping your prescious in a napsack, while using a fully functional LCD remote, whilst some silly little girl is dropping her iPod down a sewar next to you because her fingers slipped right off that sleek round wheel ! (Actually saw that happen, and couldn't do anything but laugh..she wasn't happy with me laughing at er'...and I thought blondes always had more fun ?)

Jul 30, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #15 of 43
I bought the iRiver about a month ago.

Every day since i've gotten it, I've been listening to music about 8 hours a day.

It's the best purchase I've made in a long time (besides my 225s)

You obviously want to buy it. Just get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back