Buy demo SR125 or new SR80?
May 5, 2005 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

OniVerde

Head-Fier
A local hifi store has a pair of demo SR125's for about $100, which is about the same price as that of SR80. Which should I get? I've never listened to either of them and the store doesn't have the SR80 in stock.

May 5, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 13
Get the SR125s! You might be able to talk them down even farther, and they are already burned in
tongue.gif

Or, get the Alessandro MS-1.

May 5, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 13
I'd go with the 125's so long as there isn't any damage to them. OTOH, if one of the speakers is blown it might not be a great idea.
eek.gif

May 5, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 13
Neither. For $99 delivered get the MS-1's.

I would be concerned about the 125's having been used as demo's. You can wait and pick up a pair of 125's from the "for-sale" forums for +/- $100 and they would be far more tenderly cared for than cans left out in the wild for the public-at-large to have their way with.

If I had to choose one of the phones you've described- I'd take the SR80's, no question.

May 5, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JB.
Neither. For $99 delivered get the MS-1's.

I would be concerned about the 125's having been used as demo's. You can wait and pick up a pair of 125's from the "for-sale" forums for +/- $100 and they would be far more tenderly cared for than cans left out in the wild for the public-at-large to have their way with.

If I had to choose one of the phones you've described- I'd take the SR80's, no question.

I agree.

May 5, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 13
How long have they been on demo would be my first question. Then Id' say check them very carefully visually and sonically and if they are OK buy them. They are definately better than the 80's

May 5, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T
How long have they been on demo would be my first question. Then Id' say check them very carefully visually and sonically and if they are OK buy them. They are definately better than the 80's

My advice is definitely affected by my tendency to err on the side of caution, though at $100 plus tax for demo 125's vs. $99 shipped for new MS-1's, I would view the MS-1's as the prudent choice, by far.

A demo is a demo is a demo. I find it unlikely that you would be able to get an accurate answer about how long they have been in use as a demo, and even if you could it only takes one low-vibe to mess with the all-too-delicate 125's to render them irremediably damaged. If these were V6’s, I’d say go for it, no problem. But they’re Grados.

Also, I would assume that someone choosing which individual to demo would be inclined to chose the one in the damaged box or the previously returned item, one that would be the least likely to sell. This further increases the odds of a less-than-optimal purchase.

Of course, when assessing a relative risk vs. cost, it changes dramatically person-by-person. I’m the guy who keeps all his cans in their original boxes, washes his hair before using his Beyer’s, and makes sure his ears are spotless before canalphone insertion. I would never buy a former rental car, even at a reduced price, and I wouldn’t buy a delicate set of cans that had been at the mercy of all the beasts in the jungle, IMO.

May 5, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kram Sacul
Get some new phones and enjoy not having to think about them being on someone else's head before yours.

Lice, ewww.
wink.gif

May 6, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Lice, ewww.
wink.gif

Good point. MS-1 it is....or maybe the SR80...choices choices choices...

May 6, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #12 of 13
MS-1 vs SR-80? Definately go with the MS-1. The SR-80 has horribly fatiguing highs IMO. Plus, the you get free shipping from Alessandro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back