Buy Darkvoice 336SE from Amazon or Drop.com ?
Jul 18, 2019 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

abesh

100+ Head-Fier
Well,

Drop.com has the Darkvoice 336SE for about $213 including shipping. Problem is there's just a 30 day return policy and after that you are out of luck if you have issues with your item.

Amazon on the other hand is selling the same via the Shenzhen Audio Store with Prime Shipping and it costs around $269. Though it doesn't mention anything on their website, Shenzhen Audio says that they provide a 1 year warranty for the same.

So I am torn between the warranty and the price difference. What's been your experience with Drop and the Darkvoice or Amazon ? Where would you recommend I buy one from ?

Jul 18, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 18
Where did you see it listed the 336SE, sold thru Massdrop (Drop), does not come with a one year manufacturer's warranty?

Jul 19, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 18
Warranty information is not mentioned on Drop.com and there are multiple threads in the discussions like this : https://drop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se/reviews/2347691

The "translation" is wrong.

Drop is only a sales facilitator, not a stockist, so they have none in stock for quick replacements through them while they deal with the manufacturer.

You just have to go direct to the manufacturer to report that issue no different from ordering from Schiit and then contacting Schiit, but they only offer the no repacking fee thing for 45days though they'd still replace a broken unit within the stated warranty period.

Now if the manufacturer doesn't offer a warranty, then that's more on them and less on Drop. Although if this does happen Drop should stop peddling these items if at least for their own reputation.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 18
I agree with you!
It's surprising though that Shenzhen Audio is giving one though, maybe through the manufacturer and drop isn't :frowning2:

I just explained the difference up there.

Shenzhen is a stockist so they have the items on hand. Even if they still refer you to the manufacturer chances are they can replace the unit anyway and depending on how easy the manufacturer is to deal with they can just sate you for now and they tell the manufacturer that it's for their mutual reputation.

Drop's business model only facilitates sales. They get a number of people who want something, they tell the people who make it, they get a few units plus a failure rate overhead. Very likely they return those units to the manufacturer, which is why you have to talk to the manufacturer. For the items that are perpetually on stock like Massdrop Ed items, that's different - they stamp their name on them and more importantly there are K7XX and HD6XX all over the warehouse at practically any given time, despite the separate branding, are now part of the manufacturer's regular assembly line. They don't stock the DV336se.

I know this is diffIt's like cargo forwarding services where countries like the Philippines where inane and medieval tax laws can make shipping an item from Amazon not only expensive to ship but also paying for tariffs makes it worse but somehow because of an overseas worker population they want to sate large boxes with several items went unregulated too long under the guise that these only always include gifts. It wasn't until unofficial stockists popped up and Canon, Fuji, etc started complaining that these people don't pay tariffs on anything (because a crate legally declared full of cameras and lenses still gets taxed) and no licensing fees nor training costs to have their people certified to service those cameras. You buy from Amazon or wherever, LBC gathers them in a large box, pays a flat tariff based on Amazon cost declaration (instead of having to deal with the law that basically has a clause that goes "Customs inspector in post office in the Phl can call bull on your cost documents, including PayPal/CC receipt and billing"), you get the item; this service doesn't include shipping an item back unless it looks like it was damaged during shipping. And it doesn't eliminate the nightmare some guy encountered before: he didn't have a language barrier problem with AudioGD (I think he speaks Mandarin), so he got through quick, sent his NFB-12 or whatever back, then bam, when AudioGD ships a new item back Customs is charging him again because this wasn't even the same serial number as the one he sent out and had a receipt for. "It's a replacement!" yeah sure go to the Customs agent.

Or here's another that might be easier for people in better countries to understand since you've probably seen this in movies. Think of Reddington's business in The Blacklist, or that guy in Ghost Protocol. (Read the rest in a Slavic gangster accent and pretend you're Tom Cruise learning the ropes in an MI prequel) Look here, Yuri...Dimitri...Sergei...Philip...Ethan...You need something to go kaboom. Blow things up. You approach arms dealer. Arms dealer may have what you need: RPG, a cache of AK-47, MiG parts, maybe a SCUD or just warhead. You buy. If it doesn't blow up properly, arms dealer only liable to return money unlike Massdrop because you might put two in his head, but he still can't just offer replacement worronty because he sold you parts corrupt general sold, and kind of like Drop, can't just call the Mikoyan-Gurevich factory so they send you new MiG31 without Russian government approval because for all they know you work for Americans and want combat simulation against F22. (Accent ends here)

At the same, Shenzhen is based and staffed by people not in or from HK (unlike Fiio), so you're not just flipping a coin between "cheap, no warranty" vs "warranty" here, but "cheap, no warranty" vs "can I actually trust that they honor that warranty assuming I can even get a fast enough response as they chew through interpreters reading customer emails." Because at the very least that language barrier has been a complaint with even trustworthy direct from manufacturer brands like AudioGD.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #7 of 18
This is such a nice and wholesome response. The last lines just effectively sum up what has been exactly going on in my mind. I think in this case then, going via Drop will more or less be the same. Only thing is in case the DV develops an issue how do I repair it ? I don't have the know how to do this so I guess I would need to approach someone locally, if there are any people locally that can repair this :)

Jul 20, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 18
This is such a nice and wholesome response. The last lines just effectively sum up what has been exactly going on in my mind. I think in this case then, going via Drop will more or less be the same. Only thing is in case the DV develops an issue how do I repair it ? I don't have the know how to do this so I guess I would need to approach someone locally, if there are any people locally that can repair this :)

Like I said above, you go direct to DarkVoice. Which is almost kind of like going through Shenzhen Audio but you paid a little bit less, although the difference is how much will it cost you to ship it to China vs if Amazon can facilitate that.

Either way, point is, you still end up dealing with all those problems. All I'm getting at is that

1. Drop isn't exactly just ripping people off, they're just able to give that discount by not accounting for warehouse space costs for products that don't immediately move with the trade off being that, well, they wouldn't have any on hand for quick replacements nor do they maintain technicians on site (ie why in one of the above examples I gave I used cameras, since those companies don't just get any certified electronics engineering university or trade school grad to work on those things at every national or regional distributor).

2. Unless you're sure Amazon will facilitate returns and repairs/replacements, you'd still end up dealing with the manufacturer in the Mainland (and even then that's not going to be only for a limited time, just longer than what Drop gives you) and deal with at minimum the language barrier and at worst a totally different consumer care culture.

3. Which is also why some people would just gamble with the lower price on Drop.

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #10 of 18
The thing that makes it a bit more a difficult choice is that it seems that the manufacturer doesn't provide any kind of warranty.

Personally I'd really just get another brand than something where the customer support is in the mainland, even if the factory might be, and relatively local to save on shipping.

Like Schiit in the US or Meier anywhere else (since the list price includes shipping and EU taxes). VIolectric is also a choice.

If you really insist on an OTL amp might as well save up for that Polish brand (the name escapes me right now) if you're in Europe or WooAudio if you're in N.America or wherever they have dealers in Asia.

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #11 of 18
Dude, you are just awesome!
Fantastic advice, I've been thinking along similar lines...
In NA, what WooAudio tube amp would you suggest for someone with a budget of $300.

EDIT : checked wooaudio.com. No tube amps within my budget. Maybe I will have to save up :)

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #12 of 18
Dude, you are just awesome!
Fantastic advice, I've been thinking along similar lines...
In NA, what WooAudio tube amp would you suggest for someone with a budget of $300.

EDIT : checked wooaudio.com. No tube amps within my budget. Maybe I will have to save up :)

Save up for the WA3 if you really want OTL but personally the WA6 is more worth it at that price point. For $100 more (when you're not getting a low cost OTL amp anyway) you're getting a transformer-coupled tube amplifier that will be more versatile as it has more power even at 300ohms where OTLs are at their best, and you get even more power at low impedance for those low impedance, low sensitivity planars that an OTL amp would have only a fraction of the power and high output impedance that would be a bad choice for low impedance dynamic drivers.

For that kind of money and you really want OTL then just get the DV336se from well anywhere, that's up to you.

Or go solid state and save up for something like a Meier Jazz FF.

Jul 20, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #13 of 18
Canceled my Drop order and the one from Amazon is going back :) The WA3/WA6 look great, will wait for a used one to pop up or save up for them. Would I be able to reuse my existing 6AS7 and 6SN7 tubes in them?

Jul 20, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #14 of 18
Canceled my Drop order and the one from Amazon is going back :) The WA3/WA6 look great, will wait for a used one to pop up or save up for them. Would I be able to reuse my existing 6AS7 and 6SN7 tubes in them?

Double check the WooAudio pages for those amps, then check if your tubes are among the equivalent tubes for whatever is in those amps.

Off the bat I think the 6080 (WA3) and 6AS7 might be interchangeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back