Buy a S9, or wait? [regarding COWON product life cycles]
Nov 5, 2009 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

iPoodz

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I know this may not be on topic, but I think it belongs here more than anywhere else.

I'm sure you all have come across this, and I was wondering whether there was something like this for Cowon, or whether you guys could predict whether or not it would be a good time to invest in a S9. I've been following Cowon on and off for the past year, maybe, and was interested in the S9, but was deterred by the early reviews which talked about unusable UIs etc.

Recently, I was thinking of buying a ZuneHD [as an upgrade from my 1G iPod Touch], when I decided to revisit the S9. It seemed to have undergone a transformation, with a better firmware and added capacity, being better than the ZuneHD which was released months after the S9 was.

So: my question is, do you all think that Cowon will start following Apple's model of 1 year lifecycles until upgrades, or do you think I should buy the S9 now, because the next iteration won't be out for a while? I know no one knows the answer, but if you guys have noticed any trends in Cowon's release timings, I'd appreciate it if you could share
smily_headphones1.gif

[I don't really need a new DAP right now, but I may in a few months, so I'd rather get something nice and enjoy it for a longer time, rather than waiting until I really need it, and thus having it for less time until the new version inevitably comes out.]

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 10
right now, the only new cowon product to be anounced is the i9, which is an upgrade to the i7, has a 16gb capacity and is a touch-pad based player. SQ wise it would be similar to the s9.

there doesnt seem to be any new radically different players from cowon coming up soon

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 10
The new tech is always around the corner, just buy now and dont regret it!

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azazel90x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new tech is always around the corner, just buy now and dont regret it!

Oh, I do know what you mean
smily_headphones1.gif

It's just that I wanted to know how close around the corner the S9's sucessor is. If Cowon is into upgrades every year, then I can wait 3 months and get that.

An analogous situation would be buying a non-camera/radio Nano, a week before the new one released. I'd rather not get in that situation. That being said, if I know that the next Nano (maybe with better battery life/codec support) is going to be released in a year, I wouldn't feel so bad about buying an older version today, as it would be current for longer.
/analogy

I'd like to buy it somewhere in the beginning/middle of the lifecycle. From what I'm hearing, it's going to be around for a while. How long was the D2 around before the D2+ was released?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppau0822 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
right now, the only new cowon product to be anounced is the i9, which is an upgrade to the i7, has a 16gb capacity and is a touch-pad based player. SQ wise it would be similar to the s9.

there doesnt seem to be any new radically different players from cowon coming up soon

Oh, okay. Out of curiosity, if something was slated for a spring 2010 release, do you think it would have been announced by now?

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 10
The D2 has been around forever, the D2+ came about 2 years after.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azazel90x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D2 has been around forever, the D2+ came about 2 years after.

Oh, okay. This makes buying the S9, easier, going on Cowon's history.

Thanks!

Nov 7, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 10
I've had a D2 for 2 years now, and I love it, wouldent go back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back