Buy a different Rach 3 recording?
Jan 8, 2006 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

geforcewong

100+ Head-Fier
I bought the RCA Red Seal CD of Rachmaninoff's Concerto No.3 played by Horowitz and the New York Philharmonic conducted by Eugene Ormandy. I can hear some sloppiness in execution and some wrong notes played here and there and was wondering if the legendary RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra recording of 1951 conducted by Fritz Reiner is worth another $15
blink.gif
? Anyone have a different version?

Jan 8, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 7
There's a real sleeper on the Elan label with Sanitago Rodriguez and a small, regional orchestra in VIrginia, and the whole thing is extremely exciting and well done. This is no hack job: Rodriguez is a Rach pianist of real stature and the orchestra plays just as well as the biggies. It's a thrilling, virtuoso recording.
A second choice is the Janis/Munch on RCA.

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by geforcewong
I bought the RCA Red Seal CD of Rachmaninoff's Concerto No.3 played by Horowitz and the New York Philharmonic conducted by Eugene Ormandy. I can hear some sloppiness in execution and some wrong notes played here and there and was wondering if the legendary RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra recording of 1951 conducted by Fritz Reiner is worth another $15
blink.gif
? Anyone have a different version?

There are a lot of great performances, we did a thread on this a while back.
But to answer your question: the Horowitz/Reiner is a nice clean performance, but the sound is a little thin on my vinyl of it.

May 11, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 7
I own all the versions you said, and I have to agree with you. Horowitz is totally overated! mainly when he tries to play things such as the rachs. yes, he misses notes (anyone with a good pair of heards and a good pair of cans can tell you clearly which ones he missed and which ones he should have played), he as no tempus for rach and even sometimes he doesn't get well with the orchestra.

Try to listen some Ashkenazy (Haitink is great) and some Argerich (although the rach3 is somehow different. she does not play the cadenza - as rach himself, and the 3rd mvmt is a little bit fast.

try also some Helfgot (great, great feeling..)

May 11, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 7
just to add.. thamas vasary interpretations are also very decent, and a good listening for some firsts rachs. maybe you'll understand better the evolution towards some ashkenazy
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back