Buttkicker
Apr 27, 2007 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

oqvist

Headphoneus Supremus
I am wondering why there is never any posts about these? Does noone know they exist?

One thing you may miss when listening to headphones is the impact of a really powerful subwoofer. One that can literary shake your floor and belly. My question is why do these people choose to miss this and doesn´t get a bass shaker like the buttkicker and other solutions?

Me personally have had my Buttkicker gamer for over a year now. That is built for office chairs there is large floor based solutions as well. Attached to a good chair they are bloody awesome and really accurate
smily_headphones1.gif

I mainly booked them for gaming but I find it excellent for movies and music as well. Lets you feel the music in a whole other way. There is no sub woofer on earth that gives you the same impact as a buttkicker
biggrin.gif

After using my office chair I got so much into racing simulations I bought a Playseat Classic edition. I loved that however with that the buttkicker became useless. It wasn´t sturdy enough to give the correct vibrations everything just felt delayed and simply wrong.

I now got the new Playseat evolution (www.playseats.com) and mounting it on my G25 shift holder I am so happy I am back using the buttkicker again. It´s the only thing I really missed with my Playseat gaming.

It works phenomenally well. It´s so accurate that I can turn off my headphones and in another room even I know exactly what tune is being played by the vibrations.

It does cause a bit of noise. The amp has for some dumb reason a small 50 mm fan that makes quite a bit of noise and the buttkicker itself causes well vibrations you know
wink.gif
. You can of course isolate the chair a bit with rubber to reduce it to virtually nothing. However closed headphones is recommended I would say if you don´t mod the amplifier anyway.

I am not working for the buttkickers but since there isn´t any threads here thought it would be some really nice info because it don´t cost much and gives quite a boost to your multimedia listening.

Out of curiousity what other alternatives are there? I have heard of some Aria stuff that is supposed to be good
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 11
There have been some threads on the Buttkicker, and I saw at least one pop in the For Sale / Trade columns awhile ago. It sounded interesting, but rather gimmicky.

Apr 28, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 11
The main thing that keeps me from getting one is the fact that it would require wiring to the chair. I just can't imagine constantly stepping over wiring strewn about the floor. Plus the wheels may go over them alot.

Apr 28, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There have been some threads on the Buttkicker, and I saw at least one pop in the For Sale / Trade columns awhile ago. It sounded interesting, but rather gimmicky.

If the one you saw was the Buttkicker "Gamer" then, yeah, it's a little gimmicky. The larger physical transducers, like the Buttkicker LFE and Concert, aren't nearly as gimmicky, and are used in a lot of high-end home theaters. I'd actually like to try out a nice set of amped headphones in a comfy recliner sitting on a transducer... if that's not too much to ask.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 28, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #5 of 11
What is gimmicky about it? Are you talking appearance then yes perhaps. I do like the design but then I am a gamer
wink.gif
. But the Buttkicker gamer is the same as the LFE you just attach it to a chair
wink.gif
. There is no difference in performance only strength of the vibrations.

It may not have the power of the LFE but more then enough when you attach it directly to where you sit.

As for cables there is one cable to the chair. It´s very thick and has a quick release adapter. You can probably run it over 1000 times before it brakes. The Buttkicker Gamer is so solidly built I would assume you can drive a lorry over it. Only thing that would happen is that the lorry would maybe get a flat tire because of the adjustment screw
wink.gif

If you have a office chair or a seat like playseat evolution buttkicker gamer is the best choice I feel. For sofas and others go for the home theater systems of course
smily_headphones1.gif

I am always amazed how well it works for music. I was too afraid it would not feel "real". Because when it doesn´t feel real you feel it instantly and it get useless
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #6 of 11
how do i connect the "amp" of the buttkicker to the real headphone amp?

mind to show us some pics?

Apr 28, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #7 of 11
http://www.thebuttkicker.com/ButtKic...amer_home.html

download the quick start guide. Depends a bit on your connection if you just use the white and red rca do your amp you just run with an y-splitter from your soundcard. On a console you run another splitter. It´s very easy just standard cables
smily_headphones1.gif

So you don´t really hook up the amp to your headphone amp they run their own lines
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 11
cool..so they use the center/sub line right?

Jan 20, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 11
Extremely late reply may not matter but you just connect it through one of the left or right channels... The buttkicker only reacts to the low frequencies, adjustable by either the amplifier or your computer/mixer.

So for the gamer at least you can only attach it through analogue sound not coaxial or optical output.

I am however curious about people who got the LFE or other bigger home theater versions... I am getting a new cockpit and don´t know how well the buttkicker will fit so I may preferr some that I can bold directly to the chair.

Have read about aria bass shakers that is cheap but not at all as powerful... But then I don´t really need all the power the buttkicker has
smily_headphones1.gif

Also the fan is incredibly loud on the buttkicker I wonder if you dare to disconnect it and hope it holds up... I run with closed headphones so it´s not that much of an issue but if I listen to music with my speakers it´s easilly the loudest part of my computer setup.

Jan 21, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #10 of 11
I have an LFE hooked up to a recliner. Use it for movies on occassion but not for listening to music. The rumble is fun for movies but for music, it just doesn't feel right. Instead of coming from your chest cavity, its more of the entire chair shaking; a good, tight, powerful kinda shake, but still just the chair shaking. I suppose if you remove all the cushions and strap yourself in tightly you can get a similiar sensation to chest cavity resonance.

The fans on my amp run fairly quiet....though my amp is 6 years old. Its just a fan, find it cfm rating and swap it for a quieter one.

Jan 21, 2008 at 11:19 AM Post #11 of 11
The answer to your original question is quite simple: many of us don't like to listen to the sound you describe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back