Business Idea
Mar 13, 2015 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

coinmaster

1000+ Head-Fier
Farmington, Connecticut, USA, Earth, Milkyway
What if  I opened up a store that contained just about every popular headphone, dac, and amp from all the major brands and connected all of the dacs and amps together through a digitally controlled analog switch so people can use a touch screen computer to instantly use any combination of amp and dac that they want. It would also contain popular cables and tubes for people to do tube and cable rolling in store.
Then they can buy what they like.
Do you think such a store would be profitable? It seems like it would be heaven for the audiophile community.

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 7
The question is how many audiophiles or people you can convert into audiophiles live within a reasonable distance from that store. The market seems saturated when you're in a forum like Head-Fi, but if you take every member profile and geo tag every IP address, you're not likely to get that many.

We have one headphone store over here and it seems to work out great, but note the difference in demographics. It's a large, high density metro area in Asia with up to fifteen million people (the capital city itself, plus the adjacent cities, one of them originally planned to become the new capital farther inland but so far we only moved the Lower House and around 70% of the Cabinet Depts) as well as corporate HQ's downtown along with our stock market. Basically think of NY and DC smack right next to each other, then move a shipyard like Bath Iron Works a few miles out from the city limits, then a cattle farms the same distance in the opposite direction. That's how we can manage to hold impromptu mini-meets somewhere within walking distance of the metro train on weekdays (not that everyone there will actually take the sardine can, but most of them likely will). Local (ie country, not just the city) forums here provide customers, but isn't limited to audiophile forums - a computer gaming forum is included too as the store carries Xonar products (although of course there are membership overlaps); also since Amazon has to deal with international shipping as well as arbitrary customs officials, that store also services the rest of the country through shipping.

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #3 of 7
There are a few problems with your idea.

1. Assumption that all the manufacturers would want you as a dealer. If brand X already has a dealer relatively close to you, they're less likely to set you up as a dealer. If it's a premium brand, many manufacturers want theirs to be your sole premium brand, or one of only a few. Not one of all premium brands. Especially if they're really similar.

2. Many of the brands that people are interested in only sell direct. You're going to purchase something to demo that you can't sell if people decide they like it?

I admit it is a fun idea, but transferring that into sales is another thing. Don't forget that many people would take up your resources to figure out what to buy, and then look for it cheaper somewhere else.

There's an old joke in the industry....
Q: How do you make a million dollars selling audio?
A: Start with ten million dollars!

Sep 28, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 7
Creating a store like that could be a fantastic experience for audiophiles. Offering a wide range of headphone, DAC, and amp combinations for testing is a great way to cater to enthusiasts. However, the profitability may depend on factors like location, operating costs, and the size of your target market. To explore its potential, conducting market research and considering customer demand is crucial. And while it may not directly relate to your idea, keeping compliance with local laws and regulations, much like with cannabis sms businesses, is also essential for long-term success. If there's a strong demand for such a store in your area, it could indeed become a haven for audiophiles.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #5 of 7

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #6 of 7
damn grave digger.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 7
What if I opened up a store that contained just about every popular headphone, dac, and amp from all the major brands and connected all of the dacs and amps together through a digitally controlled analog switch so people can use a touch screen computer to instantly use any combination of amp and dac that they want. It would also contain popular cables and tubes for people to do tube and cable rolling in store.
Then they can buy what they like
From a vision to a thriving reality! Launching my own business was a leap of faith, but I knew success awaited with the right strategy. As my venture grew, I made a pivotal decision to hire a talented team who shared my passion and drive. To make our office truly stand out, I invested in professional office signage https://bsign-store.com/collections/office-door-signs These signs not only added a touch of elegance but also streamlined our workspace, impressing clients and instilling a sense of identity. Today, our business thrives, and our office signage reflects the professionalism we uphold. It's a testament to how the right investments can lead to remarkable success!
Opening a store like the one you described, catering to audiophiles and offering a wide variety of headphones, DACs, amps, and accessories, sounds like a fantastic idea that could indeed attract a dedicated customer base. The ability to test and experience different combinations of equipment in-store would likely be a major draw for audio enthusiasts.

Profitability would depend on various factors, including location, operating costs, and pricing strategy. The audiophile community can be discerning and willing to invest in high-quality audio equipment, which could work in your favor. Additionally, offering a space for customers to experiment with different setups before making a purchase could set your store apart from online retailers.

However, it's crucial to conduct thorough market research, assess the competitive landscape, and create a sustainable business plan to ensure long-term success. Building relationships with audio equipment manufacturers and fostering a sense of community among audiophiles could also contribute to the store's profitability.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back