Burson V7 Classic Pro and V7 Vivid Pro - Hi-Fi audiophile solid-state op-amps
Mar 19, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #121 of 189
Hi, I have been using Burson V6 since 2017 on Asus Essence STX II PCI card...Vivids, Classis and combination of those two. I have recently switched to V7 Classic and have about 130 hours of burn-in so I can make few observations when comparing them to V6 Classic.

• Much more details of the same character as V6 (not aggressive, not metallic) slightly less rounded than on V6 Classic.
  • Deeper more controlled bass
  • Wider, higher and deeper stage, more air, more space ….magic of space.
  • Vocals are bigger, more present, more 3D
  • Textures and colors of instruments are much more pronounced.
  • Slightly better dynamics and punch
  • More precise then V6, more resolving, V6 seem a bit muddy in comparison.
  • Lots of emotions, lots of musicality, quite enjoyable presentation.
  • Natural rendering of instruments.
  • Low noise floor, you can hear silence between notes.
  • Not making listening fatigue in long sessions.
  • Overall, V6 classic on steroids…..magnificent masterpiece came to mind a few times during listening :)
Cheers ! :)

Ever think about moving to desktop DAC/amp? I used the STX Essence for a decade (V6 vivid) and upgraded to Burson Playmate 2 and it's quite a bit more refined and packs a punch.

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #122 of 189
Ever think about moving to desktop DAC/amp? I used the STX Essence for a decade (V6 vivid) and upgraded to Burson Playmate 2 and it's quite a bit more refined and packs a punch.
Actually, I was so impressed with the gains of V7 that I ordered desktop DAC….waiting for delivery to make the comparison :)

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #123 of 189
My music collection contains mostly of Jazz, Blues, Soul, Vocal oriented Instrumental music, with some rock and melodic, symphonic metal tracks and albums. So I decided to go with V7 Classic instead of V7 Vivid. Hope that I made the right choise 🤞🙄
You made a perfect choice ! :) I listen to similar music.

Mar 20, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #124 of 189
You made a perfect choice ! :) I listen to similar music.
Oh damn, I mainly listen to classic heavy metal and classical music and ordered the Vivids due to their extended range down low, according to the specsheet.
Hopefully I didn't make a mistake. Oh well, either way it's too late now to change the order. I'll see (or hear) the V7s soon enough :-D

Mar 20, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #125 of 189
been using, Burson op-amps for sometime now, installing on few soundcards for pc. made a move to purchase an on sale conductor 3r with plans on updating to the v7c type. testing just the way it was received, I knew then my plans changed on handing it to my son, he will get it once he settled down. so on ebay, found a seller selling 2 topping d10s and smsl sa36apro. after purchasing them and changing out the op-amps in the conductor, now it was time to use the v6v op-amps in the topping dacs. even with zero adjustments as far as software with the Burson opamp installed, awesome. having 2 of the same dacs, you can tell right away...
here's some pic's, also a sb ae-9 with v6c op-amps..
https://flic.kr/p/2pEvj7S
https://flic.kr/p/2pEtzd9
https://flic.kr/p/2pEvWNJ

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #126 of 189
been using, Burson op-amps for sometime now, installing on few soundcards for pc. made a move to purchase an on sale conductor 3r with plans on updating to the v7c type. testing just the way it was received, I knew then my plans changed on handing it to my son, he will get it once he settled down. so on ebay, found a seller selling 2 topping d10s and smsl sa36apro. after purchasing them and changing out the op-amps in the conductor, now it was time to use the v6v op-amps in the topping dacs. even with zero adjustments as far as software with the Burson opamp installed, awesome. having 2 of the same dacs, you can tell right away...
here's some pic's
https://flic.kr/p/2pEvj7S
https://flic.kr/p/2pEtzd9

next day
2nd d10s with the v6classic very smooth, needed zero adjustments in software. now with both d10s it definitely improved the wow factor of the d10s with burson op-amps..
https://flic.kr/p/2pECWsh

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #127 of 189
I’d probably go vivids too but you can mix them afaik. I don’t know if it hase to be in pairs. The 3X GT has 6 and I think you can in all reality ignore the volume ones.

If I get them I’d probably go with 4 vivids and a pair of classics.
@invisiblekid on the burson site they offer the V7 opamps two different ways... they have a "kit" version and a " single " version... so if you decide to get 6 for the 3xGT the Kit has 6 opamps at a much discounted price than if you were to just buy 6 opamps... I'm thinking of getting the kit version of V7 classics for my 3xGT ...

Mar 21, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #128 of 189
@invisiblekid on the burson site they offer the V7 opamps two different ways... they have a "kit" version and a " single " version... so if you decide to get 6 for the 3xGT the Kit has 6 opamps at a much discounted price than if you were to just buy 6 opamps... I'm thinking of getting the kit version of V7 classics for my 3xGT ...
Yeah was looking at it’s probably just worth it to get the kit.

Tho now I’m possibly looking at the classics as they seem to have improved a lot over the V6.

Mar 21, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #129 of 189

Tho now I’m possibly looking at the classics as they seem to have improved a lot over the V6.
The kit is indeed cheaper. Iv

You can always ask Burson to give you the benefit of the discounted kit and mix the opamp types for you if you want. Always free to ask right :)

Mar 21, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #130 of 189
The kit is indeed cheaper. Iv

You can always ask Burson to give you the benefit of the discounted kit and mix the opamp types for you if you want. Always free to ask right :)
yeah I was sad they didn’t let you pick and mixed and still get the discount. I’d be happy with a mix say 4classic and 2 vivids.

I’m not in a huge rush to get them atm.

Mar 22, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #131 of 189
I received the V7 Vivid today. Very impressed so far!

Like others have mentioned, V7 Vivid is airier than V6 Vivid. You could describe it as more fluid sounding, whereas V6 Vivid is more tonally grey (in a bad sense) squared off, firm, and boomy in response. V7 Vivid is definitely more transparent and true to the signal, gaining the best traits of SS3602 without losing what made V6 Vivid good.

To me the best thing about V6 Vivid was its huge sound field. I'm using these op amps with speakers, having them placed in the input section of an Audiophonics Purifi amp. V6 Vivid always made the speakers sound bigger, as you've taken a step toward the music. V7 Vivid is even bigger sounding than V6 Vivid, but is also better at conveying distance. So sounds are both further away, but also closer depending on the recording. The biggest weakness of SS3602 is how it made everything sound distant, with too much emphasis of the air in recordings. V7 Vivid avoids this, as it allows sounds to cut through and hit you just like V6 Vivid, except with a more natural delivery. I'd say this is a clear straight unambiguous upgrade from both V6 Vivid and SS3602.

The bass has some extra weight just like V6 Vivid, but without boominess. The sound is huge and enveloping, making instruments feel more true to life in size, like pianos able to fill the room more convincingly. It's also microdynamically better than V6 Vivid, which I feel was one of the big weaknesses of V6. It could sound dynamically compressed compared to other higher end op amps like SS3602, MUSES03 or OPA828. V7 has fixed these problems, and might be the best compact DIP8 op amp on the market now. I'll have to listen more, but first impressions are very positive!

Mar 23, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #132 of 189
I received my V7 vivids today.

1 little nitpick: The aluminium-case around the 2 chips is not entirely lined up at 90°, it's a little crooked. Just a little bit, and the thermal layers still have contact. Visually it's just slightly dis-appealing. I have them in a Fosi Audio bt20a pro, driving 2 selfmade speakers "BIB speakers" with Tang Band W8 2145s in them.

Sound wise: crystal clear.
the bass: incredible. It reaches down noticeably further than with the stock op-amps.

Will have to listen to it some more, it's only been half an hour :-D

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #133 of 189
Day 2 impressions. Because of V7 Vivid's airier sound I could see situations where V6 Vivid could be preferred, because they add more density and weight compared to V7 Vivid. It's at the cost of detail, but if your system can't resolve that detail anyway, then V6 Vivid might be better. But in my system, V7 Vivid is still very impressive. No op amp I've tried has come close to this level of resolving capability. I'm often pleasantly surprised by the level of clarity they're giving me. When it comes to reproducing reverb, room acoustics and such, V7 Vivid are on a completely different level than V6 Vivid. I thought the op amps I was using before (MUSES03) were more or less giving me all the detail the system had to give, but obviously not, as I'm often noticing that especially the bass and top end are better separated. V7 Vivid are definitely less vivid than V6, being more like a reference sound. It's probably tough to know in advance which op amp will be the most appropriate for your system. But it makes sense why Burson felt the need to finally update their op amp line, because V6 was probably holding back the potential of their higher end amps.

Mar 25, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #135 of 189
Not yet! I remember SS3602 changed during its burn-in phase. At the start it had a distinct forward tilted treble, which over time eased off and became a more gentle diffuse sound. It then stabilized at that sound and now sounds the same every time I use them. I received V7 Vivid on Friday afternoon, so they haven't had enough time yet to burn-in properly. I'll report back if I notice a change in character over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back