Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Sep 22, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #2,056 of 2,266
I'm patiently waiting for the SP2 modules to be available on the Burson site...

Meanwhile, all the talk about putting the 2590s into the voltage gain motivated me to try this:

Attachments

• IMG_9661.jpeg
    IMG_9661.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #2,057 of 2,266
You have to try the sparkos ss2590s in the 3x gt
I bought six for it and worth every penny
Can you share a picture of how exactly you fit all of those into the unit? I'm interested to see what ways you had to twist the extensions and how they're resting.

Sep 24, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #2,058 of 2,266
After rolling op amps all night, I concluded that my favorite config is still:
  • Input: SIL 994
  • Volume: SS2590
  • Voltage: SS3306
I tried the SS2590s in the voltage stage with various combinations, and it was really good, but something about the SS3306s in the voltage sounds the most natural to me. Perhaps soundstage is minisculy smaller, but the warmth, texture, timbre is better with the SS3306s in the voltage vs. the SS2590s in the voltage. Overall, just more organic and realistic, by a small but noticeable margin.

I still get an equal amount of micro details in vocals and strings, as well as audience sounds on live performances, with negligible differences in soundstage (width/depth/height). Treble is incredibly smooth, detailed, and never sibilant.

I tried the Muzg in the voltage and the SS2590s in the input and volume, and to my ears, those two op amps sound pretty similar. Leans more on the analytical side, great resolution and imaging. I give the nod ot the SS2590 for sounding more natural with better decay, but sonically, I feel they sound almost the same. Both can get a little shouty in the voltage stage.

The SIL 994 in the input is the way to go for the best bass impact and extension. I don't see myself moving that op amp out of that position as long as I shill for HiFiMans.

Which is a perfect segue to say that it's important to note that I'm listening on two HiFiMans, the HE1000se and the HE6se v2, which both benefit from getting injected with some warmth.

All this to say, YMMV. It's interesting and fun to see all the different listening impressions you all are getting.

I can't wait to get the SP2 modules!

Sep 24, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #2,059 of 2,266
For the EU residents I have a well-stocked box with op-amps ready to be shipped if you are interested. It will cost you around 40% - probably even less - of what you would normally spend for retail :slight_smile:

Sep 24, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #2,060 of 2,266
Of the countless times I've upgraded or changed something in my system, there's only been 2 occasions where the difference was large enough to garner a reaction.

1. When I first added the Terminator + into the chain.
2. Upgrading to the SP2 modules.

Used the Susvara for these impressions. Mainly took notes on these and spent the rest of the evening leisure listening.

Hotel California - Eagles: I should start at the beginning, but the amount of control in the outro guitar solos between Walsh & Felder is just so impressive. This section easily gets shouty on less than ideal gear & the guitars, albeit the star of the show at that point, can take away the drive of the rhythm section. Not on this amp. The increase in separation and air really give it room to breathe. During the chorus when Don Henley sings, ''Welcome to the Hotel California'', the accuracy & clarity in him pronouncing ''California'' is stunning. Micro detail with percussion is way easier to interpret and adds significantly to the overall image. Quite a noticeable increase in texture as well, at the 0:11-0:13 mark there's a sizzle that quickly dissipates from the left channel. Literally sounded like a baby rattlesnake slithering past my ear.

I Can't Tell You Why - Eagles: Dead silence. I actually had to shut off the A/C, because the noise coming from the vent was bleeding through. At 0:33-0:44 when Timothy Schmit sings ''Aren't we the same two people who lived through years in the dark?''. Right when he says ''dark'' you can clearly hear his tongue move and take a small breath before continuing the verse. Instant goosebumps. 3:10-4:55 is such a treat. Drums have presence and carry ample body with incredible realism. The relaxed tonality of the guitar combined with the amount of space & separation in the soundstage is enough to mentally drift off.

Try and Love Again - Eagles: Again, going backwards and starting at the end. This is another one where guitars can easily blend together and sound shouty, especially from 3:55-5:11 when they begin trading off. Cymbals can also get fatiguing/splashy with the wrong headphone. The GT flexes with the amount of control in this latter section. What could normally sound overbearing is incredibly balanced, from trading guitars, acoustic strumming, constant high hat, and background singers. The jump in detail is staggering. Each guitar strum & cymbal crash rings out just a bit more and tapers off with impressive ease. Even with the increase in detail & texture, I wasn't keying in on any specific area. It was actually easier to interpret the track as a whole.

If you haven't caught the drift yet, the SP2 modules make a substantial change. Every area is improved. At the level of my system, hearing a difference this noticeable doesn't happen often. The moment these hit the market, I'd snatch them up no questions asked. When Lachlan mentioned in his review ''You're jumping a whole 'nother tier'', I was immediately skeptical even though I agree with 80% of his impressions. Glad to report the hype is indeed real. Combined with upgraded op-amps, this is a serious amp around the $3k mark & there's nothing I can think of personally that beats it in this range.
Hope you're right exchanged my Burson Soloist 3X GT 2022 for the 2023 with SP2 modules. Should be here in a week. Also found out the SP2 modules are not compatible with The Conductor

Sep 26, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #2,061 of 2,266
Huston we have a problem.

I have just received the new opamps for config no 9 posted here.
Ss3602 volt gain
994 input buffer
Ss2590 volume control

I install all the 6 new opamps, following the direction in the picture, I connect the amp and the left channel buzzes.

I unplug it, disconnect and reconnect all the opamps, when I plug the amp in and turn it on, it turns on then it shuts off.

Then I start changing all the opamps in pairs with the vivids. Same result.

The amp turns on (clicks), display turns on, then another click and it turns off.

Both with new and original opamps.

I’m desperate. Can someone help?

Sep 26, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #2,062 of 2,266

Ss3602 volt gain
994 input buffer
Ss2590 volume control

I install all the 6 new opamps, following the direction in the picture, I connect the amp and the left channel buzzes.

I unplug it, disconnect and reconnect all the opamps, when I plug the amp in and turn it on, it turns on then it shuts off.

The amp turns on (clicks), display turns on, then another click and it turns off.

It's probably the silent power modules. Make sure they're perfectly straight up and down and when you put the lid back on, go perfectly straight down and once you're down don't let up and the foam on the inside of the lid should press them down harder and they'll make connection. It scared the absolute crap out of me when it happened to me but once I just got it to make connection right on the silent power modules, everything was fine again.

Sep 26, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #2,063 of 2,266

Ss3602 volt gain
994 input buffer
Ss2590 volume control

Could be your supercharger went bad I had similar issue when mine did. Seems odd it would happen when changing op amps. Any chance you plugged one of the op amps in backwards and possibly blew a fuse if there is one in the power supply?

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #2,064 of 2,266
Could be your supercharger went bad I had similar issue when mine did. Seems odd it would happen when changing op amps. Any chance you plugged one of the op amps in backwards and possibly blew a fuse if there is one in the power supply?
No all the opamps were in the right direction mate, I triple checked it.

What i notice is that, after trying literally everything, if I remove the SP1 module (the one near the fan - all my other modules are sp2), the Soloist stays on - but doesn't produce any sound.

Sep 26, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #2,065 of 2,266
It's probably the silent power modules. Make sure they're perfectly straight up and down and when you put the lid back on, go perfectly straight down and once you're down don't let up and the foam on the inside of the lid should press them down harder and they'll make connection. It scared the absolute crap out of me when it happened to me but once I just got it to make connection right on the silent power modules, everything was fine again.
I noticed that if i remove the sp1 near the vent... the amp stays on. No sound but doesn't shut off.

Did it do the same trick to you (couldn't stay on)?

Sep 26, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #2,066 of 2,266
All of them are lit up…

IMG_6707.jpeg

Sep 26, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #2,067 of 2,266
No all the opamps were in the right direction mate, I triple checked it.

What i notice is that, after trying literally everything, if I remove the SP1 module (the one near the fan - all my other modules are sp2), the Soloist stays on - but doesn't produce any sound.
Hmm my soloist GT is the one without the new power module things so its beyond me im afraid. Try sending an email to burson if you havent already. They helped me figure out it was my problem was a faulty supercharger, so maybe they can do the same for you.

Sep 26, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #2,069 of 2,266
Sep 26, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #2,070 of 2,266
Sure? Why?
Well for starters it says if you try to start it without the lid you can void your warranty but it presses the silent power modules into place to make a good connection (tons of power going through them, you don't want a bad connection) and it has some kind of auto shutoff that enables when you try to start it without the lid on so it just won't let you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back