Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Sep 19, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #2,041 of 2,327
I know I'm late to the party but that was an awesome review. I have the 2022 Burson 3X Gt and I mounted it on brass spikes and no trouble with heating Hasn't affected his quite cool in my opinion. Sonnet Morpheus Dac and Hermes streamer. My headphones currently are ZMF Atrium and Hifiman HE1000 SE and JM audio XTC
You have to try the sparkos ss2590s in the 3x gt
I bought six for it and worth every penny

Sep 20, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #2,042 of 2,327
Ok so… doing some a/b testing between Holo Bliss and new Soloist (supercharger + vivid v6 + sp2)

On full sized headphones it’s a close one, need further testing.

With iem… guys the Solist is sooooo noisy still even in low gain! Seriously disappointed. Noise floor in UM Mest MK2 is unbearable. Totally silent on Holo Bliss.

I think that this is irrelevant for full sized cans (can’t perceive any audible noise floor on Susvara) but honestly after all these publicised upgrades to the power circuitry I would have expected an improvement…

Sep 20, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #2,043 of 2,327
Ok so… doing some a/b testing between Holo Bliss and new Soloist (supercharger + vivid v6 + sp2)

On full sized headphones it’s a close one, need further testing.

With iem… guys the Solist is sooooo noisy still even in low gain! Seriously disappointed. Noise floor in UM Mest MK2 is unbearable. Totally silent on Holo Bliss.

I think that this is irrelevant for full sized cans (can’t perceive any audible noise floor on Susvara) but honestly after all these publicised upgrades to the power circuitry I would have expected an improvement…
I agree, the soloist is to noisy with IEM, the 2022 and 2023 as well (don’t know if a ifi iematch could fix that?)

At the same time I have to say, a Holo Bliss might be more silent, but it is almost double the price. I have two amps the soloist and a decent one for iem and together that is cheaper.

Not saying the holo bliss is to expensive, but for almost double the price the holo bliss ought to be better. The shift changes I think if you replace all the opamps in the soloist, than a Holo Bliss might be a better buy altogether.

Sep 20, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #2,044 of 2,327
I agree, the soloist is to noisy with IEM, the 2022 and 2023 as well (don’t know if a ifi iematch could fix that?)

At the same time I have to say, a Holo Bliss might be more silent, but it is almost double the price. I have two amps the soloist and a decent one for iem and together that is cheaper.

Not saying the holo bliss is to expensive, but for almost double the price the holo bliss ought to be better. The shift changes I think if you replace all the opamps in the soloist, than a Holo Bliss might be a better buy altogether.
Specifically the 4.4 IEMatch is absolute perfection for IEMs. Literally zero noise whatsoever with any IEM. The 4.4 one has extra impedance to calm the noise down. Also for what it's worth, I've never in my life heard so much detail out of some of my IEMs. Just plugging them into the 2023 Soloist with the 4.4 IEMatch and it's like the resolution on them is doubled and I don't understand how or why but the jump is just colossal over any other amp I've tried.
1695200486470.png

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #2,045 of 2,327
Specifically the 4.4 IEMatch is absolute perfection for IEMs. Literally zero noise whatsoever with any IEM. The 4.4 one has extra impedance to calm the noise down.1695200486470.png
Agreed but then you need an XLR to 4.4 converter, then an iematch… lots of adaptors, which I’m not the biggest fan of…

Sep 20, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #2,046 of 2,327
Agreed but then you need an XLR to 4.4 converter, then an iematch… lots of adaptors, which I’m not the biggest fan of…
Oh stop being pedantic. It works flawlessly. I know its ugly an people can cry all they want about imperceivable losses from the extra connections but just try it and you wont care the second you hear it. Nobody is sitting and watching you listen to music judging you because of an extra adapter in your gear. Lighten up.

Sep 20, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #2,047 of 2,327
Oh stop being pedantic. It works flawlessly. I know its ugly an people can cry all they want about imperceivable losses from the extra connections but just try it and you wont care the second you hear it. Nobody is sitting and watching you listen to music judging you because of an extra adapter in your gear. Lighten up.
Pedantic. Lighten up.

That’s the way an open exchange of opinions should be.

Well done 👏

Sep 20, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #2,049 of 2,327
Sep 20, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #2,050 of 2,327
Sep 20, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #2,051 of 2,327
Sep 20, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #2,052 of 2,327

What IEM do you use? I use sony ier z1r and sennhaiser ie900 low gain and can't hear any noise at all.

Sep 21, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #2,053 of 2,327
Sep 21, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #2,055 of 2,327
Of the countless times I've upgraded or changed something in my system, there's only been 2 occasions where the difference was large enough to garner a reaction.

1. When I first added the Terminator + into the chain.
2. Upgrading to the SP2 modules.

Used the Susvara for these impressions. Mainly took notes on these and spent the rest of the evening leisure listening.

Hotel California - Eagles: I should start at the beginning, but the amount of control in the outro guitar solos between Walsh & Felder is just so impressive. This section easily gets shouty on less than ideal gear & the guitars, albeit the star of the show at that point, can take away the drive of the rhythm section. Not on this amp. The increase in separation and air really give it room to breathe. During the chorus when Don Henley sings, ''Welcome to the Hotel California'', the accuracy & clarity in him pronouncing ''California'' is stunning. Micro detail with percussion is way easier to interpret and adds significantly to the overall image. Quite a noticeable increase in texture as well, at the 0:11-0:13 mark there's a sizzle that quickly dissipates from the left channel. Literally sounded like a baby rattlesnake slithering past my ear.

I Can't Tell You Why - Eagles: Dead silence. I actually had to shut off the A/C, because the noise coming from the vent was bleeding through. At 0:33-0:44 when Timothy Schmit sings ''Aren't we the same two people who lived through years in the dark?''. Right when he says ''dark'' you can clearly hear his tongue move and take a small breath before continuing the verse. Instant goosebumps. 3:10-4:55 is such a treat. Drums have presence and carry ample body with incredible realism. The relaxed tonality of the guitar combined with the amount of space & separation in the soundstage is enough to mentally drift off.

Try and Love Again - Eagles: Again, going backwards and starting at the end. This is another one where guitars can easily blend together and sound shouty, especially from 3:55-5:11 when they begin trading off. Cymbals can also get fatiguing/splashy with the wrong headphone. The GT flexes with the amount of control in this latter section. What could normally sound overbearing is incredibly balanced, from trading guitars, acoustic strumming, constant high hat, and background singers. The jump in detail is staggering. Each guitar strum & cymbal crash rings out just a bit more and tapers off with impressive ease. Even with the increase in detail & texture, I wasn't keying in on any specific area. It was actually easier to interpret the track as a whole.

If you haven't caught the drift yet, the SP2 modules make a substantial change. Every area is improved. At the level of my system, hearing a difference this noticeable doesn't happen often. The moment these hit the market, I'd snatch them up no questions asked. When Lachlan mentioned in his review ''You're jumping a whole 'nother tier'', I was immediately skeptical even though I agree with 80% of his impressions. Glad to report the hype is indeed real. Combined with upgraded op-amps, this is a serious amp around the $3k mark & there's nothing I can think of personally that beats it in this range.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back