Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Apr 12, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #1,126 of 2,327
Oof, your GT must get really hot nudged in a tight space like that. I have mine up on my desktop table right beside me in verticle position for maximum air flow.

Yeah, it's a little tight. I adjusted my shelf and now it has 1/4 inch of space. I think the top is an exhaust fan and should have enough space to push the hot air away since it's not in an enclosed cabinet.

Apr 12, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #1,128 of 2,327
I heard some complaints about the fan noise. You're never gonna hear it when music is on even at a bare minimum level. But I will say I do hear a very high pitch electrical sound when putting my ear next to the GT. It's so high pitched. It's a good 17khz+, but you can barely hear it. Idk if that's the fan making that, but it is only audible when your ear is right next to it. Nothing to nitpick. GT is absolutely silent when music is on. Don't let that steer you away from buying one.
Cheers.
Agree. That is GT downside. I was avoiding cpu fan when building Roon Server but now I got one from the amp. However, my aircon fan is still louder than the GT's.
I am not really bothered.

Still, I am intrigued whether it causing any unnecessary noise in sound reproduction. Mine is still new, dont dare to detach it now. Later maybe..

Apr 12, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #1,129 of 2,327
^ i would think that removing the fan would void the warranty. have you compared the 3xgt to the cma600i's amp and if so did you notice a difference?

Apr 12, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #1,130 of 2,327
Follow up

Today, I listen both amps with Meze Empyrean.

Well..well the result is similar when both amps connected to 1266TC. Formula S is a better amp and superior in :

1. Staging : deeper, more holographic 3D
2. Resolutions & Details : slightly better, not by far
3. Treble : Smoother, cleaner.
4. Mid range : vocal is lush and sweeter, guitar has more bodied and wood sense, piano : longer decay and more grandeur, flute / trumpet are also smoother flowing.
5. Bass : deeper and tight. Surprisingly has "same" quantity with GT.
6. Background : both amps are very quiet

It seems Formula S works better with planar and low impedance headphones (Empyrean = 32 ohm & 1266TC = 47 ohm) than 300 ohm - Dynamic ZMF Verite Closed.

Enjoy music and cheers....

Attachments

• 20220412_173940.jpg
    20220412_173940.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #1,131 of 2,327
I heard some complaints about the fan noise. You're never gonna hear it when music is on even at a bare minimum level. But I will say I do hear a very high pitch electrical sound when putting my ear next to the GT. It's so high pitched. It's a good 17khz+, but you can barely hear it. Idk if that's the fan making that, but it is only audible when your ear is right next to it. Nothing to nitpick. GT is absolutely silent when music is on. Don't let that steer you away from buying one.
Cheers.
this is subjective. i returned my GT because i absolutely *could* hear fan noise during quieter passages and i hated it. deal breaker for me.

Apr 12, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #1,132 of 2,327
this is subjective. i returned my GT because i absolutely *could* hear fan noise during quieter passages and i hated it. deal breaker for me.
I would have returned mine for the same reason but got stuck at customs. Added a passive pc fan controller which reduced the speed by approx 20% and with this tweak I can say it's close to silent ... and as I would've expected it to work stock. Idk there may be some unit variation when it comes to noise.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #1,135 of 2,327
Just got mine yesterday. It's been running since then and will be doing my first listening test tonight. Concerning the fan noise, I just measured it with an app on my phone and it averages 32db when I put my phone about 10-15 cm above the fan (6 inches?). So, listening from about 1 meter, yes I hear the fan if everything is silent, but if I put my headphones on, I cannot hear the fan. So, I believe it depends on how sensitive you are to outside noise or how noisy is your environment. For my part, when the central heating system is working in the house, it drowns out the fan noise, so no issue here, but I can understand some people may be annoyed beyond what is acceptable to them if they have a very silent environment...

Apr 13, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #1,136 of 2,327
dont care what manufacturers are saying... Any fan and especially small one will make noise and it only will get worse in time.
Agreed. Wouldn’t a steady-state operating condition below circuit limits and more than ample heat sinking be more effective heat management? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Apr 20, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #1,138 of 2,327
Has anyone tested a Soloist 3GT preamp (Muses, muses, muses 😍😍) soloist 3xp in power amp mode?

Just science...

Apr 21, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #1,139 of 2,327
Bought a spare Noctua fan while they are still availble on the market (just in case...).
We are under sanctions and nobody knows what can be available in the future. :slight_frown:

DSC_0476.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back