Burson Headphone Amplifier HA160DS with Sennheiser HD800
Dec 26, 2011 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Torontoraccoon

100+ Head-Fier
Not so sure where to place this thread.. and not too sure if this is full size or portable. I would consider it portable? 

Well anyways...

I was looking for a all in one solution for a bedroom, and this seems pretty interesting. I have read a few reviews, but Im curious if anyone actually has listened to the HD 800's with the new "DS" version of the Burson Amp.

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 14
"The Burson seemed to stage even broader particularly over the HD800s, likely because fine ambient reflections—on those recording which actually had them—were more apparent. In terms of conveying musical excitement, inner tension and harmonic resolution..." -6moons.

Seems like its a good pairing. The Burson is a great all around headphone amp, or so ive heard.

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 14

"So back to the question, the Burson would do more than an adequate job for your HD650, even though it's not balanced."

"Yes, I've listened to the HD650 with the Burson, and I think it would be a better pairing than if you went with the Woo6. Both Woo6 and Burson have "strong" bass, but in different ways. The Burson doesn't add bass body/quantity, only stronger bass punch. The Woo6 adds more weight on the bottom and more bass quantity as well. I think it will be an overly weighty bottom with the HD650. Please keep in mind that the Burson is mostly a neutral amp, without no heavy coloration anywhere. "

"Without going too deep into technical explanations, I feel that the HD650 would be better paired with the Burson HA160. The Burson is also more aggressive and forward, which should complement the HD650 nicely. But that's just my personal taste. Some people pair the HD650 with a mellow and laid back amp and are happy with the combination."

"So you're not going to get the treble boost that many people seem to look for pairing with the HD650. Having said that, I think the Burson is a beautiful match for the HD650. It makes the HD650 more aggressive and less mellow. Though the HD650've always had a good bass presence, sometimes it's not punchy enough and the PRaT is not very good. With the Burson, punch and PRaT is all there." 

Source: Headfonia.com

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

"So back to the question, the Burson would do more than an adequate job for your HD650, even though it's not balanced."

"Yes, I've listened to the HD650 with the Burson, and I think it would be a better pairing than if you went with the Woo6. Both Woo6 and Burson have "strong" bass, but in different ways. The Burson doesn't add bass body/quantity, only stronger bass punch. The Woo6 adds more weight on the bottom and more bass quantity as well. I think it will be an overly weighty bottom with the HD650. Please keep in mind that the Burson is mostly a neutral amp, without no heavy coloration anywhere. "

"Without going too deep into technical explanations, I feel that the HD650 would be better paired with the Burson HA160. The Burson is also more aggressive and forward, which should complement the HD650 nicely. But that's just my personal taste. Some people pair the HD650 with a mellow and laid back amp and are happy with the combination."

"So you're not going to get the treble boost that many people seem to look for pairing with the HD650. Having said that, I think the Burson is a beautiful match for the HD650. It makes the HD650 more aggressive and less mellow. Though the HD650've always had a good bass presence, sometimes it's not punchy enough and the PRaT is not very good. With the Burson, punch and PRaT is all there." 

Source: Headfonia.com

well that sucks, i was planning on getting WooAudio WA6 for my hd650 :frowning2:

Dec 27, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 14

Quote:

Hmm, guess everyone is different in their definition of neutral.

I certainly never thought so, it has a warm signature for sure.

So did the audio engineer who happened to audition at the store last week. He really did not like it one bit.

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:

Hmm, guess everyone is different in their definition of neutral.

I certainly never thought so, it has a warm signature for sure.

So did the audio engineer who happened to audition at the store last week. He really did not like it one bit.

i would agree that with my experience, I had my HD800 pluged into it and it does sounded
less harsh, littlebit dampered (does not mean it is veild), less fatigue (for the sharp HD800 sound),
and so is my AKG701.
'stage even broader.. esp HD800' -- well dont wish to contend about that, probably because the stage didn't
really striked me in my experience so far, or maybe its because ive been using it too much with the WA22.
and it is also true that it is beefy, more body kind, as i love it most with my LCD2. (i think they paired very well)

'he really did not like it one bit' -- thats sad to hear, over all not that im extremely impressed,
but for the price point, i say im fairly impressed.

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:

'he really did not like it one bit' -- thats sad to hear, over all not that im extremely impressed,
but for the price point, i say im fairly impressed.

He was really after something completely different though to most of us, enjoyment and recreation was not his aim,
 he planned to use a selection of phones ranging from a DT250 80ohm to K141 (and others) for his own professional
 purposes. He liked the Violectric range but even then (and I agree there too) he found it had a slightly warm coloration. 

Only amp to get the nod was the full Class-A Sugden Masterclass HA-4. Unfortunately, his wallet did not agree with the
 price :-/ 

The Sugden is dead set neutral, relatively unknown in the US from everything I've seen on here, probably a tad too
 pricey but it's about as neutral as I've heard in my entire experience regarding Head-Fi.

Overall Burson offer a really sturdy product that lends itself to most tastes for little money, especially for us
 Aussies - we do not always get the widest berth of product selection and since they're local, the price is sharp
 too.

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
 He was really after something completely different though to most of us, enjoyment and recreation was not his aim,
 he planned to use a selection of phones ranging from a DT250 80ohm to K141 (and others) for his own professional
 purposes. He liked the Violectric range but even then (and I agree there too) he found it had a slightly warm coloration. 

Only amp to get the nod was the full Class-A Sugden Masterclass HA-4. Unfortunately, his wallet did not agree with the
 price :-/ 

The Sugden is dead set neutral, relatively unknown in the US from everything I've seen on here, probably a tad too
 pricey but it's about as neutral as I've heard in my entire experience regarding Head-Fi.

Overall Burson offer a really sturdy product that lends itself to most tastes for little money, especially for us
 Aussies - we do not always get the widest berth of product selection and since they're local, the price is sharp
 too.

hmm sugden , violectric , burson , sounds like A2A to me (just guessing, they are growing), im from australia too, infact im from
canberra (shez, even harder to find quality audio here..ahem) i say i liked the violectric by a slight margin for their amps, but again
the price point (am +dac) still speaks for 160D/S (especially S). I had not tried any sugdens till now, might take some time
off in A2A for some listening soon but i figure i wont like it (and i always thought that sudgens are just wallet brawlers).
for HD800 i vote violectric amp over burson amp.

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #9 of 14

Sugden CD transports and amps - certainly not cheap, some die hards stick by them but it's difficult to see
new potential buyers justify the cost - competition is so fierce out there!

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:Originally Posted by Gwarmi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sugden CD transports and amps - certainly not cheap, some die hards stick by them but it's difficult to see
new potential buyers justify the cost - competition is so fierce out there!

maybe A2A will give a great (cough...) sugden clearance/specials soon : )
its really hard to come by a 'powerful' all in one box like burson.
so torontoracoon, hows your decision going so far... how bout grace903?
the other one i would really recon is wait for MK3 + clas, i wonder whats
your source BTW

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
maybe A2A will give a great (cough...) sugden clearance/specials soon : )
its really hard to come by a 'powerful' all in one box like burson.
so torontoracoon, hows your decision going so far... how bout grace903?
the other one i would really recon is wait for MK3 + clas, i wonder whats
your source BTW

Well A2A is keen to sell on the Sugden Masterclass HA-4 demo for $1899AUD. Still tonnes of cash, but for the neutrality enthusiast
 it is very special ~ supports balanced inputs too. 

Still reckon the Violectric V200 with fitted optional DAC 24/96 Optical or USB module gives the Burson 160D
 a lot of problems for similar money.

On a portable note, I was quite shocked to find that my iShuffle + ALO AP1 MK2 could drive the HD650 on low
 gain reasonably well and on high gain it did a respectable job with the HD800. Great by portable standards.

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
well that sucks, i was planning on getting WooAudio WA6 for my hd650 :frowning2:

WA6/WA6SE = awesome

they do have very good bass. makes great pairing with the HD 650 and also gives the k701s the bass they need to sound good.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #13 of 14

Quote:

Well A2A is keen to sell on the Sugden Masterclass HA-4 demo for $1899AUD. Still tonnes of cash, but for the neutrality enthusiast
 it is very special ~ supports balanced inputs too. 

Still reckon the Violectric V200 with fitted optional DAC 24/96 Optical or USB module gives the Burson 160D
 a lot of problems for similar money.

On a portable note, I was quite shocked to find that my iShuffle + ALO AP1 MK2 could drive the HD650 on low
 gain reasonably well and on high gain it did a respectable job with the HD800. Great by portable standards.

1899? i wonder if it works if i bargain a 1750 off them and ebay 2100
evil_smiley.gif

mind giving some brief impressions on the dac part of v200? i heard of the v100 amp.
Though im very curious of how it pairs with the HE-6 (which is not supose to),
i never get to try it with that setup.
do you actually preffer v200 over 160D/S?

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:

1899? i wonder if it works if i bargain a 1750 off them and ebay 2100
evil_smiley.gif

mind giving some brief impressions on the dac part of v200? i heard of the v100 amp.
Though im very curious of how it pairs with the HE-6 (which is not supose to),
i never get to try it with that setup.
do you actually preffer v200 over 160D/S?

Yes I prefer the V200 over any Burson amp ~ stand alone 160, combo 160D or the DS ~ it's just more transparent and neutral
 having said that I've had lengthy chats with people who love RnB, Beyonce and other female vocals and they love the Burson coloration
 ~ so it really depends but I like transparency first and foremost myself, not to mention the V200 has balanced inputs and individual
 gain control.

I did hear once that Violectric showed up at meet in the US, the HE-6 was there and no one could drive it, only the V200 could
 give it some life on +12dB gain :) Check the specs ~ outside of a Ray Samuels Dark Star, the V200 rules supremely in terms of
 grunty specs. It's 4 to 5 times more powerful than a Lehmann Black Cube Linear or Matrix M Stage at various impedances.

DAC module is not too bad, a little dark and forgiving, PRAT is not up to the level of let's say the Burson 160D section but it's
 coherent nonetheless ~ for under $200 it adds a clean sounding source, I consider it to be a very good add-on for someone
 looking for an uber amp who needs a decent 'tide me over' DAC because they don't have the extra $$$ for a full sized
 DAC unit. Certainly no worse than many sound cards in the same price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back