Burson Conductor Virtuoso vs Oppo HA-1 (+ synergistic headphone advice)
Jun 14, 2015 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

imac2much

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I originally posted this question in the Intro forums, but a helpful member said it would be more relevant to post it here instead.

I am looking to upgrade my Burson Soloist SL + Resonessence Concero DAC to an integrated package for around $1000-1500.  Currently I am looking at both the Oppo HA-1 and Burson Conductor Virtuoso.  I really love the Burson "house sound" of the Soloist SL and the Conductor Virtuoso seems to have the same aspects except with more power, which makes future headphone upgrades easier (I doubt I could drive inefficient phones like the Alpha Dogs very well with the Soloist SL).  I'm actually interested in the 1793 DAC on the Conductor instead of the Sabre ES9018 as I read it would allow the overall sound to be a bit warmer and more musical (I'm a bit tired of the analytical nature of the Concero's Sabre ES9023).

Aesthetically, I think both DAC/Amps look great, though I think the HA-1 may be a bit *too* flashy for my taste.  I also love how Burson amps don't get very hot even with discrete class A parts (which made me hate my Asgard 2).  I read the HA-1 gets quite hot as well.  On the other hand, the HA-1 seems more future proof due to all its inputs and outputs.  While I have no need for balanced connection right now, I like the fact that the HA-1 provides the option... but it also lacks power unless you go balance ended.  

I am unable to audition the HA-1 where I live.  Can anyone give offer a comparison or suggestion?  

Additionally, what headphones would match well with these amps?  I would like to upgrade from my HE-400i's; I like its warm tilt and impactful bass compared to its big brother 560, but I really would like a headphone that excels in soundstage and imaging.  I haven't auditioned that many headphones, but I think I prefer sound signatures that lean toward musical rather than analytical.  Lastly, comfort is a huge deal for me, as I sometimes listen to music for hours at a time while I work.  Audeze's and even the old Hifiman HE-500's were too heavy on my head even after a 10 minute audition to be comfortable.

Favorite genres: Electronic, Guitar, Strings, Classical, some female vocals, occasional trip hop 

Thank you for your advice!

Jun 14, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 14
Hello, I originally posted this question in the Intro forums, but a helpful member said it would be more relevant to post it here instead.

I am looking to upgrade my Burson Soloist SL + Resonessence Concero DAC to an integrated package for around $1000-1500.  Currently I am looking at both the Oppo HA-1 and Burson Conductor Virtuoso.  I really love the Burson "house sound" of the Soloist SL and the Conductor Virtuoso seems to have the same aspects except with more power, which makes future headphone upgrades easier (I doubt I could drive inefficient phones like the Alpha Dogs very well with the Soloist SL).  I'm actually interested in the 1793 DAC on the Conductor instead of the Sabre ES9018 as I read it would allow the overall sound to be a bit warmer and more musical (I'm a bit tired of the analytical nature of the Concero's Sabre ES9023).

Aesthetically, I think both DAC/Amps look great, though I think the HA-1 may be a bit *too* flashy for my taste.  I also love how Burson amps don't get very hot even with discrete class A parts (which made me hate my Asgard 2).  I read the HA-1 gets quite hot as well.  On the other hand, the HA-1 seems more future proof due to all its inputs and outputs.  While I have no need for balanced connection right now, I like the fact that the HA-1 provides the option... but it also lacks power unless you go balance ended.  

I am unable to audition the HA-1 where I live.  Can anyone give offer a comparison or suggestion?  

Additionally, what headphones would match well with these amps?  I would like to upgrade from my HE-400i's; I like its warm tilt and impactful bass compared to its big brother 560, but I really would like a headphone that excels in soundstage and imaging.  I haven't auditioned that many headphones, but I think I prefer sound signatures that lean toward musical rather than analytical.  Lastly, comfort is a huge deal for me, as I sometimes listen to music for hours at a time while I work.  Audeze's and even the old Hifiman HE-500's were too heavy on my head even after a 10 minute audition to be comfortable.

Favorite genres: Electronic, Guitar, Strings, Classical, some female vocals, occasional trip hop 

Thank you for your advice!
Tricky one. For soundstage the hd800s wins hand down.

But not bass heavy. The he560s have more warmth/timbre.

But I did listen to the hd800 with violectric v100 (and then theres the v200). Now the v100 had a little less soundstage than the soloist (that I own) but the v100 was definitely warmer.

So I guess the soloist gives you oomph and the hd800s has exceptional soundstage but not enough bass.

But the violectric options with the hd800 might be good Middle ground. Guess it depends how much bottom end you need.

Perhaps he560 with the violectric. A little less soundstage than the hd800/v100 but should definitely have more timbre and warmth. That might be two good options to sus out or ask about

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 14
Very interesting.  Thanks for your advice.
The 560's are actually cheaper here (most Hifiman products are $100 less in China than in the States), so that is one option.  I just feel that when I auditioned both cans I preferred the 400i over the 560 due to my sound preferences, but perhaps I should try again.

Any opinions on Burson Conductor Virtuoso vs Oppo HA-1?  I'm also considering pre-ordering the Cavalli LC and paring that with my Concero instead.

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 14
I've only heard the oppo for a brief amount of time. I remember it being a bit on the warm side and it didn't suit me and my hd800s but I don't know much about it.

I have not heard the virtuoso but ask on that thread. There are two dacs available with it so maybe the warmer (cheaper and less detail) dac might be an option. You should get some opinions there

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 14
And headphone-wise if you're looking to change from the he400i perhaps the hd650s might be an option - fair detail and on the warmer side. And reasonably priced. But try to get a chance to re try the he560s with a strong warm amp. There is something about planner magnetic headphones from their general extra warmth and great mids.

But hey maybe the 400is will just get better when you try a better suited anp for you and you can save $ on a headphone.

If you like jet me know what you find if you try some new gear. I'm curious what you find.

I've actually made myself curious in this thread to try the he 560 again with the v100/v200

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #6 of 14
Interesting... well I cannot audition anything in my city, but hopefully I can check some stuff out in the winter by visiting a bigger city.  I enjoy listening to other people's impressions first to get a sense of what may suit my tastes.  Thanks for your help!

Jul 11, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 14
  Any advice on the amp question?  (Burson Conductor Virtuoso vs Oppo HA-1)

I had a brief listening to Oppo HA-1, but more time with Virtuoso 1793. The latest "just has" amp section, therefore it can't even give proper power to low impedance dynamic headphones.
The sound of Burson is definetely not on the warm side, it's refined, still musical enough at least for me. I suppose others will mostly find its SS dry & and boring
As for Oppo I can say for sure that it has better built-in amp, better soundstage and some accent on HF.
Feel free to ask me anything if it will help you even a bit
wink_face.gif

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #9 of 14
Thanks Max, I appreciate the input.
I actually made a choice already and purchased the Oppo HA-1.  I steered away from the Virtuoso mainly due to the higher price and complaints from many users that the lack of gain meant you could hear a discernible hiss when no music was playing for headphones with high sensitivity.  The Burson contact noted that this is normal in the thread, but many people (myself included) noted that previous Soloists and Conductors with adjustable gain did not have this problem.  The contact then went radio silent... hm...

So I decided on the HA-1 for a couple of reasons: 1) the versatility of inputs and outputs (a bit more future proof than a Conductor Virtuoso), 2) cheaper price, 3) that beautiful LCD.  I didn't think it would provide that much of a sonic upgrade from my Concero + Soloist SL to be honest, and I didn't think I cared about its DSD capability.

Well, I'm a very happy owner of the HA-1 now.  I actually did try some DSD files and I was amazed how good they sounded (I cannot really tell the difference between 16bit and 24/32 bit FLAC so I didn't think I could tell a difference.  I was wrong).  Then again, they take too much space and my favorite albums aren't in DSD so it's kind of a moot point.  But I did some A/B testing before packing up the Concero and Soloist and I did find the HA-1 to have a better soundstage (like you said) and seemingly better low frequency extension.  Some people say its Sabre DAC implementation is bright, but I didn't notice that at all (I suppose since I came from a lesser Sabre DAC in the Concero, haha).

So now that I have a DAC and Amp that should last me for a while, I am focusing on my headphone upgrade for the next year or two :)

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 14
@imac2much - I have the HD800's with the HA-1, and I don't think it's a good match.  The HA-1 didn't seem to be able to drive it.  It worked, but something felt like it was missing.  The power ratings are very good on the HA-1, but I notice myself turning up the volume a lot even on high gain.  IMO it's a bit too bright and not enough bass impact.  Then I got a Auralic Taurus MKII.  It's really sweet if you can audition it in China.  I am now using the Oppo as a DAC and the Taurus as the amp.  There was a very significant difference between the amp section of the HA-1 vs the Taurus.  

That's just my experience.  Those HD800s are greedy.  

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 14
@imac2much - I have the HD800's with the HA-1, and I don't think it's a good match.  The HA-1 didn't seem to be able to drive it.  It worked, but something felt like it was missing.  The power ratings are very good on the HA-1, but I notice myself turning up the volume a lot even on high gain.  IMO it's a bit too bright and not enough bass impact.  Then I got a Auralic Taurus MKII.  It's really sweet if you can audition it in China.  I am now using the Oppo as a DAC and the Taurus as the amp.  There was a very significant difference between the amp section of the HA-1 vs the Taurus.  

That's just my experience.  Those HD800s are greedy.  

That is amazing to me,I have been using a chord Hugo and recently bought an HA-1...I have both the HD800 and the LCD-3F and with both i use the normal gain setting and tend to listen between 9-12 o clock at the loudest with the HD800 needing a bit more volume but just marginally....if i was to listen much higher i would hurt my hearing and if i used high gain at a high level i think i would go deaf...i think the amp on the HA-1 is outstanding and as a matter of fact it is the amp in the HA-1 that has me using it at home over the Chord Hugo which i love......I do not understand how anyone could listen at the volumes described without damaging their hearing

Sep 12, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #12 of 14
Well I should preface it with that it's referring to the single ended connection.  The balanced out of the HA-1 is much more powerful and drives the HD800 better.  The LCD3 and the HD800 has vastly different impedance ratings.  110ohm for the LCD3 and 300 for the HD800.  I'm very surprised you listen to them at the same volume setting.  I have a LCD2, and the HD800 requires significantly more volume output.  The HA-1 has no problem pushing the LCD2 even with a single ended connection.  BTW I'm using stock single ended cables for both LCD2 and HD800, aftermarket balanced for HD800, and stock balanced for LCD2.  

That is amazing to me,I have been using a chord Hugo and recently bought an HA-1...I have both the HD800 and the LCD-3F and with both i use the normal gain setting and tend to listen between 9-12 o clock at the loudest with the HD800 needing a bit more volume but just marginally....if i was to listen much higher i would hurt my hearing and if i used high gain at a high level i think i would go deaf...i think the amp on the HA-1 is outstanding and as a matter of fact it is the amp in the HA-1 that has me using it at home over the Chord Hugo which i love......I do not understand how anyone could listen at the volumes described without damaging their hearing

edit: corrected the impedance for LCD3 to what it says on the Audeze website.  

Sep 12, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #13 of 14
i set the volume on the HD800 marginally higher than on the LCD-3F but just marginally......as i said using the balanced out I listen between 9-12 o clock on both depending on the recording

Users who are viewing this thread

Back