Burson Conductor Virtuoso vs. Oppo HA-1 (Amp/DAC/Pre-Amp) ?????
Nov 5, 2015 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

SunWarrior

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a combo headphone amp & DAC & pre-amp that also has a remote.
At this point, I'm comparing the two units in this thread's title:
Burson Conductor Virtuoso vs. Oppo HA-1

So, what are the pros and cons of each, relative to each other?
Has anyone done a direct comparison of the two?

My three full-size headphones are Senn HD600, Senn HD700, and Oppo PM-1.
And sound quality -- both with headphones and as a pre-amp going into my stereo amplifier and speakers -- is my most important criterion.

Also, while I know the Burson can have the same ESS 9018 Sabre DAC as the Oppo, if I bought the Burson, I would probably get the one with the Burr-Brown PCM1793 DAC chip.

Thanks for any and all informed and opinionated thoughts here.

Dave, who is leaning toward the Burson since he has the Soloist and loves that but is selling it here in the classifieds to afford either the Conductor or the HA-1 which attracts over the Burson because of its many features

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 2
I only briefly listened to the OPPO HA-1 but I own the Burson Audio Conductor Virtuoso (ESS9018S and PCM1793) and I recently published a review on Head-Fi. I also own the Sennheiser the HD-800, HD-600, and both versions of the HD-650. It has been my experience that the Burson Conductor Virtuoso is an outstanding match for the HD-600 and HD-650 and I think it is among the best 3-in-1 headphone amplifiers/pre-amplifiers/DACs in its price range for those headphones. I also recommend the ESS9018 DAC with the HD-600 and HD-650 headphones but you'll be well served by either DAC. As a pre-amplifer the Conductor Virtuoso was punching out of its weight class when I tossed it in the ring with my Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 loudspeakers.

I should also add that Burson has good customer support. I asked them several questions by email and they always respond quickly-- that goes a long way in terms of goodwill whenever you're making high-end audio purchases. Burson is also actively posting on Head-Fi so you dont have to go far for support.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back