Burson Conductor Virtuoso Thread.
Mar 17, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #106 of 347
It also depends on the type of music whether the hiss will be fully masked or not. For example, with classical and other acoustic music that has frequent volume-level changes, the hiss is often pretty audible during those parts when instruments play quietly. This relates to sensitive headphones such as TH900 and PS1000.

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #107 of 347
  As explained in other posts today, these were decisions based on a no-op-amp topology with all-optmized discrete circuits and class-A operation. Some people and headphones are more sensitive to the sound of the class-A idle current which disappears when  playing music. The new 100-step volume control is obviates the need for the three gain settings in the older Conductor and essentially is always optimzed for whatever volume you choose, But we emphasize, these are choices we've made to get the analog-like sound Burson is known for, the sound they couldn't get using op-amp-based amplifier building blocks.
Thank you,
Burson

I love the Burson sound. But to say that the background noise disappears with the music on would not be entirely correct. Anyone uncertain about it can play (with the sensitive headphones) the opening bars of Stravinsky's Firebird Introduction: the hiss nearly overwhelms the basses & celli playing quietly in the ppp mode.

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #108 of 347
 As explained in other posts today, these were decisions based on a no-op-amp topology with all-optmized discrete circuits and class-A operation. Some people and headphones are more sensitive to the sound of the class-A idle current which disappears when  playing music. The new 100-step volume control is obviates the need for the three gain settings in the older Conductor and essentially is always optimzed for whatever volume you choose, But we emphasize, these are choices we've made to get the analog-like sound Burson is known for, the sound they couldn't get using op-amp-based amplifier building blocks.
Thank you,
Burson

I think it is better not to judge the Conductor based on random comments on this thread. 

I will wait to get my Conductor and test it by myself. 

I am planning to use the Conductor to drive LCD3, EL8 and V-moda M100. 

As mentioned before in a previous comment, I own a $4500 Amp/Dac that produces noise with sensitive phones. This amp is considered as one of the best amps if not the best among SS amps. My point here, no quick judgements before testing the Conductor. I am not sure but there might be grounding issue associated with members who are talking about noise.  

Burson is well known for long time in the world of HiFi and they know what to do. Honestly, I feel that the new Conductor will be a big step up from the previous models. 

I am expecting mine to arrive tomorrow. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #109 of 347
  I think that I made a huge mistake by judging the Conductor based on random comments on this thread. 

I will wait to get my Conductor and test it by myself. 

I am planning to use the Conductor to drive LCD3, EL8 and V-moda M100. 

As mentioned before in a previous comment, I own a $4500 Amp/Dac that produces noise with sensitive phones. This amp is considered as one of the best amps if not the best among SS amps. My point here, no quick judgements before testing the Conductor. I am not sure but there might be grounding issue associated with members who are talking about noise.  

Burson is well known for long time and they know what to do. Honestly, I feel that the new Conductor will be a big step up from the previous models. 

I am expecting mine to arrive tomorrow. 

Hi Dark Ayla, you also own oppo ha-1? May be you can compare if there is any background noise. ha-1 is also class A?

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #110 of 347
  Hi Dark Ayla, you also own oppo ha-1? May be you can compare if there is any background noise. ha-1 is also class A?

I will :)

But keep in mind that the Oppo Ha-1 is a revealing amp. Some customers find it bright, so it is up to your taste. 

I decided to get Burr Brown Conductor, this is due to the warm reputation of this DAC. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #111 of 347

I love the Burson sound. But to say that the background noise disappears with the music on would not be entirely correct. Anyone uncertain about it can play (with the sensitive headphones) the opening bars of Stravinsky's Firebird Introduction: the hiss nearly overwhelms the basses & celli playing quietly in the ppp mode.

Sorry but what headphones are using?

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #112 of 347

I will :)

But keep in mind that the Oppo Ha-1 is a revealing amp. Some customers find it bright, so it is up to your taste. 

I decided to get Burr Brown Conductor, this is due to the warm reputation of this DAC. 

no I don't mean to look into buying a ha-1, just for another class A may be with different circuit design (op-amp output?) will there be faint hiss sound for some of the headphones.  

Mar 18, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #115 of 347
  no I don't mean to look into buying a ha-1, just for another class A may be with different circuit design (op-amp output?) will there be faint hiss sound for some of the headphones.  

I think the oppo is a full discrete circuit also, I personally do LIKE the burson sound, but providing noticeable hiss in popular headphones for an dac/amp this price might well be a bit too much for me..

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #116 of 347
I don't notice a hiss sound on 160D. Conductor should be way better than 160D in terms of price. I have D7000, which is a very sensitive headphone. Try a different USB cable and it might help clear the hiss sound. 

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #117 of 347
  I don't notice a hiss sound on 160D. Conductor should be way better than 160D in terms of price. I have D7000, which is a very sensitive headphone. Try a different USB cable and it might help clear the hiss sound. 

The hiss sound, if any, is output section related (power, current), it is not from outside source. You can hear it when headphone is plugged and power is on, even if you remove the USB cable or stop any playback.

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #118 of 347

Read the review of the Conductor Virtuoso in Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity HERE including measurements that may throw some light on the class-A bias current.
Thank you,
Burson 

Dear Burson,

No offense, I have to declare first I am still using the Soloist SL for my second rig amplification and is perfectly happy about the unit, no hiss or whatsoever similar is ever heard.
But since I assume the Virtuoso is actually using the big soloist amp section, which I have heard with pitch black background, is also running in class A bias, so are there anything need to be investigated on why the updated circuit will have such a problem which didn't exist in the older models? Is this due to the opamp output section for the new volume control which is biased into class A and with unity gain compared to the old stepped attenuator?
Coz I think at least some members here are really hold back by such a hiss problem which was not seen in old conductor and no review or reading about class A bias will relieve these people, since beside this the virtuoso looked to be the perfect unit for a bargain all rounder.

Regards
Sam

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #119 of 347
As planned I have went to try the virtuoso demo unit and just focused on the background. Unfortunately at one shop which the environment is quiet enough they don't have lcd3, while for another shop which can provide lcd3 don't have a quiet enough environment due to the sound of an air circulation fan.

I have tried audeze lcd-x, lcd-xc, lcd3, and fostex th500rp. For the lcd-x, lcd-xc, th500rp, there was a very faint hiss sound noticed when the power is on, the level are similar to my k812 (way lower than in case of th900). I consulted the shop manager and he thinks that the level of the hiss is very very low (which he considered almost none) and is acceptable as audiophile. I would comment that such very low level of hiss is still noticeable when you focus on it, but when music is on you will not be affected at all, but for some classical music as PeterCV mentioned, it is arguable.

For lcd3, honestly I am not very sure if there is any hiss due to the environment. I try to focus on it and I feel there is some difference when compared with power off. But even IF there is, it is likely way lower than in case of lcd-x and lcd-xc and can be regarded as nil.

I would like to hear further comments from other head-fiders, including that of Dark Ayla after he has received his virtuoso.

P.S.

lcd3 with open back sounds better than lcd-x and lcd-xc, if I have to swap into audeze I'll certainly choose lcd3 :)

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #120 of 347
Are there any review's comparing the new Virtuoso and the Original Conductor? I would like to hear a comparison. About headphones, nearly all work really well but I love the HD800 and it's synergy. A great matchup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back