Burson Conductor Virtuoso Thread.
Mar 6, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #46 of 347
I see, it seems like it could be a different type of noise issue. The background noise of the Virtuoso doesn't change with different volume levels. There's almost no noise at all with the 250ohm BeyerDynamic, but several low impedance headphones, like the PS1000, produce a hiss-like background sound (it depends on the music whether it will noticeable or not during playback).

Mar 7, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #47 of 347
I came across few reviews talking about the USB connection used in the Conductor, they claim that the quality of the connection is not up to standard. I don't know what does that mean and I don't believe it!
I can not imagine a USB connection affecting the sound quality. I also heared that Burson came up with a new USB module, connection and bridge for the Virtuoso. Is this true?

Mar 7, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #48 of 347
The Tenor chip used in the old Conductor was prone to dropouts. Lots of people, including myself, were using USB to SPDIF converters to get round the problem. I don't think it's an issue with the Cmedia chip Burson replaced it with. USB connections used to mean jitter but that's becoming less of a problem in higher end products. There's also the matter of devices drawing their power to the USB board from the computer. It's less expensive to not get hung up on these things.

Mar 12, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #49 of 347
mikemercer

I think I've seen glimpses of your impressions with this piece, but can't seem to find any formal review. Has that been posted somewhere? Thanks!!

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #50 of 347
Just reporting back as I've received my LCD-X and have been using it with the Virtuoso (PCM 1973) for a couple of days now.

It is indeed a fine match and I'm thoroughly enjoying the combination. Noise floor is not an issue at all (barely noticeable if no music is playing and the room is dead quiet), probably helped by the fact that the LCD-X is an open headphone compared to the closed DT770's I was using previously. Using it for all kinds of music (and movies) at the moment, and I am also happy to report that the combination also seems to play nice with "less-than-stellar" recordings.

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #54 of 347
Around 3 weeks. The sound got more detailed and spacious; timbre became more refined and imaging got much better too. At first I couldn't quite detect its sound signature, but after the break-in it got into place and became very well defined, both smooth and energetic.

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #55 of 347

I have tried the Virtuoso (9018) today with k812 and then I bring it back home. I also tried Marantz hd-dac1 and then I choose Virtuoso without much consideration. Virtuoso really worth extra bucks.

The demo unit at the shop paired it with lcd-xc which has even lower impedance (20 Ohm) than k812: 36 Ohm (and th900: 25 Ohm). It also sounds very good and there is no noise on both to me. Seems the virtuoso with headphone output impedance 3 Ohm can also pair with low impedance headphones very well.

When I connect k3003 to it I did hear considerable noise, may be it is not designed for iem.

Also when I used the mute button on the remote, the penal digits and the USB light started to flash but the headphones still produce sound. Is the mute button for remote only works for lineout?

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #57 of 347
Well, I have been thinking about getting a SS amp to go with my Lyr/Bifrost set up.  Up until today, my two choices were Oppo HA-1 and Meier Audio Corda Classic/Daccord combo.  Since the Meier threads are pretty quiet, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has heard the Oppo or Meier amps.  The Burson with the Burr Brown DAC is the most expensive, but not by much.  I consider these to be in a very similar price category.

I have a mix of dynamic and planar cans.  Dynamics include T1, HD600 and X2.  My planars are Alpha Dog and HE500.  I like the features on the Meier products, but have never heard them.  They have a unique crossfeed circuit, and I've heard that the Daccord is not overly bright.  My one fear on SS is that they could be annoyingly bright.  My original Schiit Magni/Modi combo was far brighter than the O2/ODAC I had, so I'm assuming implementation is a key issue.  So any comments would help me out with my decision.

Thanks.

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #58 of 347
Sorry I did not read all threads.
Dac section is still the same as old one?
I like my old conductor very much recently, which is highly scalable with source quality.

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #60 of 347
Hello,

Has anyone tried using a airport express to stream Tidal music to the Virtuoso. I had the original Conductor and it could not reliably stream had clicks and drops. Ended up with the Cetrance DACmini since it was able to support streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back