Burson Cable+ Active Voltage Raising / Impedance Matching Cable
Oct 24, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #62 of 168
I'm waiting for the delivery.... :)

Still 24 days before the Indiegogo campaign closes. :)

Patience, I need patience.
In the meantime today I have received a set of V5i and after just two hours of burning in.... Man!
My small portable headphone amp became something completely different.
A huge change.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784790/burson-supreme-sound-audio-v5-opa-d-v5-opa-s-review/120#post_12958184

Pictures there.
Review will follow soon.

Cheers!!!

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #63 of 168
My set up:
Asus Essence STX
Schiit Asgard
Schiit Modi 2 Uber
Burson Cable+
HiFiMan HE400I
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm
Sennheiser HD555

I had the opportunity to test Burson's Cable+ in my current set up. While I am using mid to high end HiFi audio equipment, it was a pleasure getting to use the Cable+ in this set up. I first tested the cable with my Essence STX connected to my Asgard. This little cable made quite the impression on me. Compared to running a plane RCA cable from my sound card to my amplifier, it definately shows the cables strengths. I tested this with not just music, but games as well. I will cover both separately. 

In music settings I tested using a wide set of genres. I chose the artists based off bands and people I have listened to for years.Some of the artists chosen were: Tech N9ne, Metallica, System of A Down, Andre Bocelli, Garth Brooks, Nighwish, Van Halen, and much more. I listened to songs with just and RCA cable first, then switched to the Cable+ to get an immediate comparison. When first testing the cable I wasn't to sure it would make to much of a difference, but was I wrong. From rap to classical, from opera to hard rock, and from country to techno I saw a clear defined difference just by swapping to the Cable+. The mids and highs came in much clearer, the lows became more defined and not just mixed together, and the sound stage itself increased. At time while sitting here I closed my eyes and could envision myself at a concert. 

In games the cable made great improvement upon directional sound. I play CSGO and COD Black Ops III. Both of these games rely heavily on directional sound to be able to get a precise location of and enemy coming up on you in game and also to tell where shots were coming from. While my HE400i's and my HD555's are very directional to begin with, I noticed a great difference between an RCA cable and the Cable+. With just an RCA cable the sound stage was a little bit congested and muddled together. Locations were generally accurate, but not as precise and I would like. When I switched over to the cable plus in my set up it became very precise and clear as to what direction an enemy was headed from. The sounds of jumping, running, falling, shots, grenades, guns dropping to the ground, and objects hitting other object became very precise and clear. Not only did the Cable+ help in defining directional sounds, it improved clarity and the overall sound in game.

While only having the cable to be able to test in just one set up I was thoroughly impressed with it. I would easily recommend this cable to the average user all the way up to HiFi users. The price on the cable is reasonable considering the positive gains you will get from switching from a generic RCA cable. I look forward to being able to test this in other applications as well. 

For further clarification on the use of the Cable+ check out this video to explain the importance and uses of the Cable+.

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #64 of 168
A lot of people have asked how the cable would be correctly connected, so, alas - the infamous top-down picture!

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #67 of 168
Oct 28, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #69 of 168
Yes that would sting but where is the connector...

The micro USB on the long side of the box on the Cable+......

Nov 2, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #71 of 168

Yep sorry that prior one didn't have the power connection present. Mostly it is to show the application.

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #72 of 168
Burson sent me the Cable+ RCA2RCA and I installed it on one of my home systems. I have to say I was rather sceptic. Setup:

Violectric V850 DAC
Violectric V281 Amp
Hifiman HE-1000 V1 and V2
ICs: Handmade Audio GD

Subjectively that's a very good +€7000 Euro setup and yet the effect of the Cable+ was immediately audible. It keeps all the detail but displays it in a cleaner, more relaxed (dare I say analog) way, removing the top harshness (if you can call it that) which was still left in the original system. Some might not like the immediate effect as it's quite different (to me anyway) but after listening to an album and switching back to the original setup, my ears clearly preferred the cable+ setup.

Call me positively surprised! More testing soon, I should also be getting the Aux2RCA cable, and that should have an even bigger impact.

Nov 13, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #74 of 168
Test Setup:

Asus Essence STX
Buron V5 OPamp upgrade
Burson Cable+
Schiit Asgard
HiFiMan HE 400i
Sennheiser HD555

I am comparing this setup to my current one.

My current set up is:

Schiit Modi 2 Uber
Schiit Asgard
HiFiMan HE 400i
Sennheiser HD555

The quality of the make of both the V5 OPamps and the Cable+ are top notch. It was clear from just inspecting both items that Burson put their time and efforts into making high quality products. The V5's are constructed very well, have a nice clean look. Although they are large in size, comparatively speaking to my old OPamps, they definitely are not obstructing anything in my case. The Cable+ is built very well all the way around. The connections are made from a high quality material, and feel like they will hold up to many years of use. The box in the middle is built of a nice solid metal. The housing protects all the internal components very well. The power port for the board is built solidly and does not seem like this will become loose over time. The rounded edges on the housing not only look nice, but in my opinion help from keeping any cables from snagging an edge on it. 

My initial impression of the cable plus can be found here. I am expanding on this review.

I added the Burson V5 OPamp upgrade to my Essence STX. While just using the Cable+ the sound was warm, vibrant and clear, but adding the V5 OPamp upgrade has improved on this quality even more. This combo has rivaled my Modi 2 Uber, and even surpassed my expectations for such a small upgrade. My previous set up was having a hard time pushing my DT990's, but running the upgraded OPamps along with the powered cable has been able to drive them with much more ease. I also saw a gain in my HE 400i's as I no longer have to turn the volume up on the Asgard up as much to obtain the same level I am used to listening to. I was able to dial back by about 25% compared to where I was before. 

In music settings I tested using a wide set of genres. I chose the artists based off bands and people I have listened to for years.Some of the artists chosen were: Tech N9ne, Metallica, System of A Down, Andre Bocelli, Garth Brooks, Nighwish, Van Halen, and much more. I tested both with just the OPamp upgrade, as well as using the Cable+ replacing just RCA cables. The V5 upgrade was definitely a game changer over my old OPamps. The clarity, warmth, and all around sound quality improvement was beyond what I was expecting. The treble with the V5's became quite a bit brighter, but not to the point that the mids or lows were drown out. The mids are very precise. The individual notes of the guitar are easily discernible. The lows are more brought out more vibrant without becoming harsh or muddled. All around this set up for music has made a very vibrant, warm, and enjoyable listening experience. 

I also tested this with a few games that are very sound oriented to game play. I tested with Counter Strike Global Offensive and Call of Duty Black OP's III. Both these game in multiplayer are very sound oriented. Directional sound is crucial to game play. One must be able to discern the direction of players, gunfire, grenades and the like. Adding the V5's to the Essence STX alongside the Cable+ brought a clarity into game play I have yet to come across. While just using the Cable+ made an improvement on directional sound, the V5's brought it up to a whole new level for me. In one test for directional sound I had a player run wide circles around me. I was able to hear his location so clear I was able to determine exactly where he was around me by sound alone. Playing in some of the maps there are subtle sounds that can give away a players location like dropping off an edge, running on tile or wood, reloading, or even just changing weapons. I was able to precisely locate and enemy player just by the small subtle sounds. Not only did both the V5 OPamps and Cable+ improve directional sound, but vastly improved the overall quality of in game sounds. Gun sounds such as firing and reloading became realistic. It felt as if it were happening right next to me. 

All in all the V5 OPamps and Cable+ have improved sound quality for areas. Both products have a wide variety of applications. There are multiple sound cards that can utilize the V5 Opamps, and even more applications for the Cable+. Whether it be used as I did to a dedicated amp, a sound system in your house, or with your car stereo. The uses are infinite for both products. If your serious into HIFI or just wanting a simple upgrade without breaking the bank this is easily an affordable way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back