Burson Audio Soloist SL
Aug 17, 2015 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

dudlew

1000+ Head-Fier
Well I have not seen much here about this amp, so I thought I would start this thread.

I saw a good deal on Parts Connexion.... don't know if they still have it..... for $425 brand new, so I took the plunge and bought one of the last two they had in stock :)
I havent got it yet, but will let you guys know when I get it and put it through its paces with my low tier gear :)

I am interested to hear what the current owners think of theirs and what they use it with. I am looking to add a new headphone to the mix, the Oppo PM-3, but will see how that goes.

anyway, Once again, I hope to have this amp in about four days or so. It will be my first desktop amp, and I am really looking forward to it.

Dudlew

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 25
well its on its way :) 

But Lord have mercy on my poor soul; the duties... Shipped to me it cost me US$475. Duty on the total value is going to be US$293. Could you imagine if I paid full retail and had to duty on US$700?!?!?. It sucks sometimes to live on an island paradise.

D

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #3 of 25
Woo Hoo!!! its here.

Well my lunch hour just got shot.....

First thing I am going to do when I get home.... hook up this baby and try it out.

I know it would require some break in, but just want to try it real bad....
biggrin.gif

D

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 25
Well Left it running and burning in, but initial impressions are a bigger soundstage, better imaging, cleaner, clearer sound, more neutral to what i am accustomed to. This after just five minutes. It seems more revealing of the bad recordings, bass definition is improved, hearing some subtle distortion where there was none before.

Left it on plugged into the DT235 running a radio station. I have it hooked up to the tape out of my preamp, so that should be as clean as coming straight from the Modi I hope.

HAve some stuff to do later, but will post updates as I go along.

Just so you know, and I am not affiliated with them, Parts Connexion has one more selling at more than $200 off. Most sites have them for $650, they have it for $425 selling on Audiogon. Not sure if anyone is interested, but just thought I would let you guys know.

D

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 25
Ok, now for some ramblings... :))

So last night I sat and listened after it was running for around seven hours. Big changes, and I believe part of this is due to the headphones as well.
Initially, the sound had more sparkle, width and air than before, but I found it a touch bass light, the bass was there just not hitting hard, and below neutral for me. But after the 7 hours burn in, the bass came out. I belive that this is partly due to the headphones. The 7520 is usually bass light at the start of a listening session, but then the bass grows in quantity and depth as the session continues. Almost as if the drivers have to warm up first. Come to think of it, the 1R had the same trait.

So i believe that this accounted for some of the improved bass performance.

But the other aspects changed as well. The sound tightened up and became very controlled. Treble was smooth and seemed subdued, until the song called for sparkle and it delivered. Detail was there and the sound became more, layered. Bass was also tight and refined. More detail than previously noticeable with this headphone. I can understand now when someone says the sound is fast? Because of the control, where cymbals used to sound splashy and loose, they now have precision and control. I did a small comparison using my i pod as a source and compared briefly to the E11k, my only other amp, and the differences in that brief listen were subtle, but it was as described above. The E11k having the more fun sound, with a slight warmness to it; a slight upper mid emphasis and a more agressive bass and treble, and the Soloist SL having more control, a more even sound with better detail, control and layering. The bass extended just as deep with the soloist SL, but didn't have the quantity of bass as the E11K. Very slight,but there. You were hearing the twang in the strings of the bass guitar with the soloist sl more than with the E11K though, so a bit of loss in body, but a gain in detail and definition and tightness.

Pleased so far, but now wondering if my dac is enough.... The difference in the Ipod and Modi is big as well heard through the soloist. I am running the I pod with line out, not headphone out.

The Modi: Tight, controlled, flatter, more direct sounding, smoother,
The i pod: Looser, not as controlled, sounds livelier, and with slightly more elevated highs, but splashy sounding. A bit more airy, with less detail and a less refined sound.

This makes me want to try a higher quality DAC. I didnt notice that big a difference in the sound between the two with the E11K, so I now realise that I may need to upgrade the source now, to match the Soloist. Maybe use the Modi at work, or sell it to help fund a DAC upgrade. I like the control and definition of the Modi, but would like maybe a bit more top end sparkle, and a slightly more opened sound...

Anyway, I will stay where I am for a while. Happy with the amp upgrade. Not thin sounding to me at all as I have heard some persons say of this amp. And so far, Not dissapointed that I bought it.
It is still running as we speak. Put the radio on, turn the volume to about 10 o'clock, letting what ever songs the radio stations these days play run through them.

D

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 25
Some Pics of my setup.

The Whole setup

The Soloist SL and the Modi together

Still burning in and Listening, Haven't had much time to do the latter, so wont continue my thoughts yet

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 25
  Nice gear and nice pics.

Thanks. 

Man this amp packs a bass punch. I was litening to a Kruder and Dorfmeister Track, 'In to Deep' and man through the 7520 this thing goes really low.

This track is bass dominated, and its the bass that drew me to it. 

from my listening, I see this amp as all about control. Everything is tight. I would like to hear it with some higher end Dacs and Phones to see how they sound. 

Another track i like to listen to is Maxwell's Everwanting - To want You To Want from his album Embrya. I love the intro,the way it builds, and its a very smooth track. Doesnt sound harsh at all, and pretty clean. Sounds good with this combo.

Also, jazz sounds great through this setup. Listeing to some Brubeck and Hargrove, and the trumpet is singing. 

Its sound is very clean. 

I am making an observation...... The sound is very clean and clear, It seems for me at least the cleaner and clearer the sound, the louder i listen. I usually have to catch myself and turn it down after realizing how loud it is.

But so far, enjoying a great deal, and becoming a bit more selective to what I listen to, as alot of songs these days and of years past have a distorted bass which I just cant tolerate. Even though I love Radioactive from Imagine Dragons, I just cant listen to it on headpones because of the deliberate heavy distortion in the bass. On speakers, its bearable... the distortion is not very audible.... well at least on my speakers.

And I have listened to dance, reggae, jazz, pop, house, and enjoyed it most of the time. I hated listening to some of the modern dance music that are over compressed and with poor recording quality. But other than that, enjoyable listen.

If there are any other current owners of this amp, I would love to hear your impressions.

Dudlew

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #10 of 25
  Nice review.  at 2W pc does it have enough juice to drive the Audeze LCD2? 

This is a question I just cant answer. Sorry.

Right now that Headphone is way out of my league price wise, and I have never heard one.

From reading around, there are people in two camps, those who say that that power rating is for 16 ohms, so by the time u reach the impedance of the LCD2 you dont have much power, and it does not drive with enough authority, and the other camp says its a wonderful match and is more than enough power. This is all hear say from me, as I just have never experienced it.

Dudlew

Aug 24, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #12 of 25
I run the soloist with my LCD-2's and it has plenty of power for them.

Just to be clear.... the Soloist or the Soloist SL? as the SL has half th power.

Aug 24, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #15 of 25
And just for clarification, I am using the onboard DAC on my Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard as my source. I have also paired it directly with my Audio Technica ATLP-120 turntable and have also had great results.

Ok. That's good to know.

I see in your profile you have two other amps. What are your opinions on them compared to the Soloist SL? in particular the Little Dot?

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back