Burson Audio Asia Regional PLAYMATE 2 Tour
May 26, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #16 of 57
Hello Team,
I would be very much interested to be a part of the tour. Below are the requested details.

Name: Abheybir Pal Singh
City, Country: Patiala (Punjab), India.

Headphone Inventory : Beyerdynamic T1 Gen2, Focal Clear, Beyerdynamic DT880pro 250 ohm, Grado SR80e, AudioTechnica ATH-AD700X, M40x,M50x, AKG-K240 Studio, Sennheiser HD600, Hifiman He400i_2020

Headphone/IEM Amp Inventory: Schiit Vali2, Aune B1, Aune B1s, Nobsound Little Bear B4-X (OPA 2156/LM4562/V5-OPA-D), Topping NX3s (NE5532), SMSL SP100, Fiio e12, Anode Acoustics Solid State and OTL Amps(#2&#3), LOXJIE P2

Source Inventory: Astell&Kern-A&futura SE100, Cayin-N5ii, Fiio-X5iii, Fiio-X3ii, Sony-A45, Hiby-R3, Zishan-DSD, LG-V30+, Fiio-E17k, Xduoo XD-05 (Burson V5iD), TDA1387, AudioQuest-DragonFly Black, ibasso-DC01, Chord Mojo, Fiio Q1Mk2, Fiio Q5, PhiDeca DAC, Schiit Multibit DAC, Shanling M6

IEM: Noble Sage, Obravo Cupids, ibasso IT01, ibasso IT01s, Billie Jean, ISN H40, AudioTechnica e40, Fiio-FH1, Tinaudio T2, BQEYZ KC2, Blon B03, Blon BL05s, Tin T2plus, BQEYZ Spring2, Fiio FH3, SeeAudio Yume, Catear Mia, Tinaudio P2, Fiio FD5

Earbuds: Willsound MK300, Willsound MKII, Moonbuds Nightshade, Moonbuds Crescent, Airman AHE-150, VE Monk, Vitala, Ourart Ti7, Catear Mimi, Vitala OpenBack 300ohm, Vitala titanium driver, LREY Jagan2, LREY Mabuz

IMG_20210312_105554.jpg

May 26, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #17 of 57
Muhammad Wahid Shams
Ramna,Dhaka,Bangladesh
Headphones/iems: Senn Hd580 ,Hd600, Audeze sine, isine10, isine 20, shp9500, Presonus HD7, Grado Sr80, Sr225e,akg k240, shure se215, etymotic er4xr, ie40pro, hifiman re0, koss porta pro
Amps/dacs: Lehmann class A, 12au7+ irf610 class A+ Bottlehead crack otl fully modded, el34x4 SET, various cmoys, pico, khadas tone board, AD1865 nos dac, pcm 1704 and other BB/pcm dac kits.
20190807_233604-01.jpeg

May 26, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #18 of 57
Hello Guys.

Today I am honored to receive The Burson Playmate 2 from Burson as part of Indian Tour. Really grateful to be a part of it. Thanks @Burson B @suman134 for including me in this tour.....

Using the song Static- Timecop1983,The Midnight as a starting song...Tidal link here (https://tidal.com/browse/track/87659828)

NOTE- These comparisons are against N6ii with T01 with A30s (burson V5i modded) With My focal clear and Hifiman Sundara

IMG_2214 small .jpg

Initial impressions are :-

It has a lot of power- Sundara is just loud at just 50 vol at Pre LV-High settings( Beyond 50 is unbearable for me)
Focal Clear is loud at just 20 at same Pre LV-High settings
Now coming onto the dac-amp part
  1. Its resolving a lot !!
  2. Big wide expansive stage
  3. Bass is more textured, has more depth and more controlled
  4. Treble notes definition is really good
  5. Notes are slighty leaner
More on these on the full review and more on the following days , for now this has gained my attention since this thing is really good, better than even my Desktop DAC D50 and AMP combo A30s (burson v5i D)

May 26, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #19 of 57
  • Name: Sajid Amit
  • City and state: Dhaka, Bangladesh
  • Current set up:
    • Holo Audio May DAC > Pass Labs HPA1 / Accuphase e380 / Topping A90 > Hifiman Susvara / Final D8000 / Focal Clear / Hifiman HE-R10P / Sennheiser HD 650
    • AK Kann Alpha > Campfire Andro 2020 / 64 Audio U12t / Final A8000 / Sony IER M9 / Sony IER M7
  • Written reviews sample here
  • YouTube Channel here
Photos:
3.JPG

IMG_7266.jpeg

EED031F7-867D-4809-899B-5551B7B7C836.jpeg

_DSF3120.jpg

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #20 of 57
Some updates -
I am still wowed by this BIG dac amp ..
Some things i noticed , this has two different colors on one side is silver and other side is a grey !! Really i didn't notice it at first at all, looks good imo... never have i seen something like this ever any like this... (Shot on G8x)
Two colors small .jpg

Left it for burn in the whole 12 hours now , Just found a little bit change in Vocals being more extended at the edges !!!
One thing for sure this heatsink design is really good for heat dissipation, even after 12 hours its just nicely warm not Hot unlike my A30s steel or aluminum chassis..
The design is present all around the chassis..
IMG_2211 small .jpg

Gonna let it burn in more, after some cooldown period...
And i know whats my next song is gonnnnnnna beeeeeeeeee - Sam Smith - Writing's on the wall (https://tidal.com/browse/track/51583368)

May 27, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #22 of 57
@SS-Audio Can you tell us if the review unit has V6 Vivids or NE5532 opamps?
From manual and pics it seems like NE5532 opamps but will open it up tomorrow and post some pics , leaving it for burn in more with more usage in between and putting notes for now !!
Could not get time today but tomorrow surely will open to check whats inside !!!

May 28, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #23 of 57
@SS-Audio Can you tell us if the review unit has V6 Vivids or NE5532 opamps?
So Here's my Pics from opening up and no more findings I can find, from Burn in anymore ( Burson advises for 7 days ) , so I will keep on doing it further more at nights with cooldown periods , so guys on the tour, don't have the need to burn in more !!!
Opening up Procedure -
  1. Remove the front 2 top screws and back two top screws using the HEX tool given works for the both types of screws ( FRONT SCREWS- The head is bigger and also the stem is thicker and BACK SCREWS- The head is nearly same as the stem in thickness)
  2. remove the Top aluminum chassis its in two pieces so a little wiggle and you can remove
    IMG_2331 small.jpg
NOTE- I removed all the screws and opened the front to see what's inside , but then it can be done easily as I have written above
  1. While removing the front panel take care of the pins (for the display panel i think)
    Inked20210528_142939_HDR_LI small.jpg
  2. The big power button might come off easy to take it off and then insert it as shown in pic while reassembling , The head remains inside and the stem goes towards outside
    Inked20210528_143945_LI small.jpg

THE OPA AMPS ARE NE5532 Dual at the very edges (EDIT- IV STAGES DUAL OPAMP x2).

THE SECOND OPAMPS ARE NE5534D - LP STAGE SINGLE OPAMPS x2

How to place them is-
Method 1 that I personally use - using the black dot on the OPAMP match with the white dot on the PCB as shown in the 2nd pic.
Method 2- Match the notch of the opamp with the socket ,
opamp notch is on the flipside of opamps like NE5532 or OPA1612 etc but on the side of V6 D

Be careful while removing them , they are placed too tight and you can easily break the legs or bent them (i did it once with my A30s so lesson learnt)

Some famous guy once said-" You need to break things to learn about things!! LOL" was that guy me 🤣
METHOD 1-
IMG_2342 small .jpg
Inked20210528_142139_LI small.jpg

METHOD 2- Best for V6 vivid dual
PCIMG_2021-05-31_02-31-00~2.JPG

A more closer look on the OPAMP place , IF you see the First two on the right of image (left your side) are placed backwards and the other two on the left of the image ( your right) are faced front side .. Dont know why they did it !!
IMG_2334 small.jpg

EDIT- Has been done with better recommended methods and how to install V6 Vivid D which I found with the package in the brown outer box 🤣
Burson needs to tell us there's a Easter egg here 🤣🤣

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #24 of 57
So an update- 1 more day left and I don't wanna give it ahead :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Writing my review which I will post tomorrow once I ship with a heavy heart ..
What I found using IEMS- aka VE6XC , MEST 2 , SHOZY POLA ,BLON BL03, KANAS PRO ETC...
Now I know these are not very sensitive IEMS but really easy to drive them even at low gain ( I did reduce the volume to 2 on DAC-AMP and decrease the PC volume to 70%)
No noise for me if running off USB C and PC or even my N6ii or my LGG8x as source.

May 30, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #25 of 57
NEW UPDATE- UPON CHECKING THE OUTER BROWN BOX I found a packet of V6 VIVID DUAL
@Burson B
Did you guys add a V6 Vivid dual so we can swap and do review ? Haha man good thing I got it so I could use it before I hand over to the next person in the tour. I will remove the V6 opamps before sending so that the next guy on tour @machinegod can have his go at stock and then at V6D and feel the change ..

May 30, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #26 of 57
Name : Indranil Mitra
City : Kolkata
State : West Bengal

Electronics : Denon DCM500AE CD player as CD-Transport, DIY PhiDecaDAC (R2R), Anode Acoustics No.1 ECL82 SET Tube amp, Xduoo XD05+ Portable Amp.

Headphones : Sennheiser HD600, Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Generation, Sennheiser HD560S.

inbound7385584873762408310.jpg
inbound5370294364431467991.jpg
inbound8652622903845017262.jpg
inbound2016599775364672641.jpg

May 31, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #28 of 57
Burson Audio Stay updated on Burson Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BursonAudio https://twitter.com/bursonaudio http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/
Jun 1, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #29 of 57
@SS-Audio @Burson B Here's my entire review as requested...

BURSON PLAYMATE 2- A Big, little, all to do DAC AMP...
Pros: 1) Staging
2) Separation
3) Punchy Bass with definition
4) Subbass
5) Treble airyness
6) Resolution tiny bit better
7) Neutral-musical presentation
8) Lots of Powah
9) No noise with my iems
10) Modding options with OPAMPS
Cons: 1) Lean vocals and mids
2) Treble not enough sparkly with stock opamps
3) Less height in soundstage
4) A little less dynamic with stock opamps
5) Less input options
6) No balanced output
7) OPAMPs add extra cost
BURSON AUDIO- Founded by a small team of audio engineers over 20 years ago, Burson Audio is based in Melbourne, Australia. They design benchmark setting audio equipment and premium quality audio design building blocks for fellow audio enthusiasts and manufacturing partners alike.

Today they are well known for their Party series- Class A Dac-amp – Burson Playmate 1, their Reference series , Performance series and their discrete OPAMPS ( The V series of OPAMPS).

Given I use their V5i Dual OPAMPS on my A30s amp and having seen the difference it makes, I am really excited to review this Party series DAC AMP, the second version of burson play mate -Theeeeeeee Bursonnnnnn Play mateeeeee 2 (really tried to say it the way how WWE host announces the wrestlers haha🤣 ).

DISCLAIMER- THIS UNIT IS PROVIDED TO ME BY BURSON AUDIO IN EXCHANGE FOR MY HONEST OPINION AND I AM HONORED FOR THIS OPPURTUNITY.

SPECS-
Class A operation With SABRE32/ESS9038Q2M DAC, XMOS USB Input and supports native DSD upto 512.

Power is-

Headphone jack POWAH SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO SEPARATION

16 Ohm 3.5W 96db 99%

32 Ohm 2.5W 97db 99%

100 Ohm 600mW 98db 99%

150 Ohm 400mW 96db 99%

300 Ohm 150mW 95db 99.50%

Unboxing experience

It’s a pretty heft box weighing at around 2.625kg.
IMG_2183.jpg

On opening the box, you are greeted with a foam of how to use the power brick to switch on the DAC-AMP. On removing this we see the MC of the show the playmate 2 in a big aluminum chassis with a beautiful silver colour on one half side and grey colouron the other half side..
IMG_2188.JPG

IMG_2190.jpg

Nothing else whattt !! Wait there’s another small box hidden nicely at the back written in full glory Burson Audio.. check above pic
Inside this, I found –
  • The Power brick and the connector for Indian power plug (will vary upon different region) ;
    IMG_2195.jpg
  • A 3.5male to mic and 3.5mm female adapter ( airline adapter like) and
  • a hex tool to remove screws when you wanna open this baby up for OPAMP modding/Switching and I will highly recommend it ;
  • and a small fuse
    IMG_2198.jpg
  • A USB type C to C cable for user who wanna use this with Phone/Iphone/DAP…(forgot to take pic 😅)
Now on the very last 2 days of this review I found a small red box inside the brown packaging and had no idea that something was there. I was abacked to see two V6 vivid dualin sealed box just sitting there waiting to be unleashed 🤣 , Burson you should give a headsup if you add such surprises inside the box 🤣
20210530_235252.jpg

NOTE- The review is against my OLD D50 and A30s (Modded with V5i D) and N6ii with A30s as my setup.

BUILD-
This thing is enough to last World War 3 and come out with a may be a few scratches. It is built of machined aluminium or stainless steel in a heatsink design to dissipate more heat. I think its made up of 4 pieces of machined aluminium – The front, The back and two 2 pieces of top and bottom half.
Two colors.jpg

The front has-
  1. One is power button and the other is menu button.
  2. A never stopping revolving volume dial which is also a button if you press on it
  3. A tiny non intrusive blue LED that shows when it’s on or off .
  4. This also has a lower resolution display but the FONT is big enough that it wont be a problem for anyone.
  5. And another blank dark spot probably which houses the IR receiver for the remote.
    IMG_2201.jpg

IMG_2206.jpg
The back has-
  1. A USB C connector with XMOS chip handling the USB input
  2. Two RCA output
  3. One TOSLINK connector
  4. And A Power pin connector
    IMG_2209.jpg
I was a little sad that other input options were not available but since I use either TOSLINK or USB its fine for me and I would have loved to see this with balanced output for HPs but alas next time …

Next time I would like to see even Bluetooth added as a functionality since I could not figure why leave it at this price point...

Now coming on to the characteristics of the BURSON PLAYMATE 2

BASS AND SUBBASS-
Songs used are :-
  • BOTTOM OF THE RIVER-DELTA RAE- Watch the big drum hits from 0.19mins
  • NYCTERS -HANS ZIMMER AND JAMES NEWTON HOWARD – From 0.30min the simple hits of the synth and the timbre from it is really good. Then the 1:37min the further hits and the slow receding sound makes it awesome song to test your subbass and bass.
Now coming on to the DAC AMP- The first thing you notice is the Balanced nature of the vocals in the first song , and then the Bass percussion hits and then the Big Drum hits, This projects a really good balanced hit. Its textured , having good timbre and goes really down with the Headphone you are using . Added the resolution and separation of different hits, really adds to the feel and characteristics of the Mid Bass. The tonality is completely on point and it doesn’t seem to colour the sound of my HP at all.

Coming to the second song , especially focusing on the Bass here , wow the eerie music with the simple rumble of the bass ohh my , this depicts a really good presentation of how it should sound like if you are listening in a studio. The midbass here has a good decay, maybe a tad bit more would be my preference for that room surrounding feel that I feel with my N6ii and A30s. There isn't any midbass bleed if that’s what you are worried about. The Subbass rumble though hits a nice point , its not overly done but has a faster decay , a little more would have been perfect but that’s what I like and its entirely subjective and nitpicking at this moment.

MIDS- VOCALS-

MALE VOCALS- RESOLUTION – MATT CORBY-
The male vocals here is wonderful. Here the singer is right on the mic and singing with the instruments surrounding him.

The Male vocals on the play mate2 is lean but not mean , not a hint of sibilance, even with my Sundara it seemed less bright haha which with a ESS DAC, I wasn’t expecting. The Male vocals have a certain texture to them and continue in the same pitch from beginning to the very end excepting where they are extending the ends. It has an air around it which you could feel for sure. Its feels more controlled here though , like something is holding it back from extending even more when compared to N6ii with T01 module. But a little more thickness that I felt from using the N6ii is what I would prefer. But compared to my desktop Dac D50 and amp A30s combo this is way better with the more controlled nature yet extending beyond the ends of the notes.

FEMALE VOCALS-
  • ENOUGH FOR YOU- OLIVIA RODRIGO - Her voice is a wonderful , the slight sss at the ends and her breath in between will be a really good way to compare.
  • I EAT BOYS - CHLOE MORIONDO - Now here we find the difference between the vocalist above and the here ,it's more balanced , controlled less ssss and less breaks..
Now coming on to the amp - Really good presentation , they have an real air around them which makes them more realistic. It's a bit on leaner side but the emotions still come through. The notes reach a little higher throughout and gives a better presentation of the high pitch voice in females. Texture is really good. Would I like it more thicker here , yeah and no 😅. For female vocals this might be just up my alley. I just love it.

MIDS -

• WRITING'S ON THE WALL- SAM SMITH - The lovely amalgam of music mostly piano , violin and Guitar and occasional trumpets etc make this an awesome track to go for ..
  • BONFIRE HEART- JAMES BLUNT - The awesome bass , with the guitar going on and then the chorus in between and some instrument going on both sides that I can't define makes this a good way to find the separation on the mids..
This DAC-AMP is wonderful. All the instruments have an excellent tonality that made me think what was I listening to 😆. The amount of timbre is a little less than my preference but man it's like 90% of what my N6ii does ( that's a 1200$ DAP). But the amount of air this thing moves with each string pull of the guitar and violin is more than real , you really feel the reverb in case of acoustic guitars. The violin strikes hit right at your heart. Each string instruments benefit at providing that excellent strike then slowly receding feeling with a lingering reverb that just hits the right spot in my brain 🤣. The piano strokes are excellent , the have the same thickness and separation right from the beginning to the end of each note. But I would loved a bit more thickness from the piano strokes , they seemed a little less thick for my taste. The air moving instruments like trumpets , flute etc. has a nature of them that made them feel musical, yet get raw enough to know that it's being blown into for the effective sound it makes. More energy here especially the trumpets would have made it more awesome but then it might make it sharp for others.

TREBLE -

STEAMBREATHER - MASTODON , CIGARETTES IN THE THEATER - TWO DOOR CINEMA CLUB and DO IT AGAIN- STEELY DAN-
I use these tracks extensively to test the treble tonal accuracy, positioning, speed and separation.

This was way beyond what I thought, the excellent details and the tonality even with the fast paced music is damn accurate and not a single note is missed. The texture , the dynamics and the timbre is not lost at all . The timbre was a little less for me but the faster decay of this really helped to pave way thought such busy tracks. I would have liked a little more thickeness while some would want some energy here , for me I am happy with this much 🤩.

IMAGING ,SEPARATION ,STAGE AND RESOLUTION - YOSHI HORIKAWA - BUBBLES AND KANEDA - GEINOH YAMASHIROGUMI.

The imaging is as expected wide and accurate like a DD driver. Even the subtle sounds have a place that is well seen or felt in the direction from where it is coming from. There's no grouping of instruments but they have a definite place in the stage.

The separation is out of this world . Forget the instrument separation, even the damn notes have separation and air that makes them feel distinct. I would just like to say it's way beyond my expectations.

Staging- on the X axis - It makes everything really wide even with my iems, I felt this feeling, like wow it's makes the stage really big

On the Y axis -
  • Height - Height is more than average but not too great
  • Depth - Now this is something different , there is a good amount of depth added to the dynamics of the instruments especially the kick drum. They have now a more deeper 3D presentation. Now for those iems or HP (like Sundara) which has a like 2D presentation , you won't find added depth though.
On Z axis -
There's definitely a cue placement change of instruments that makes them feel more different from others. The have now a parabolic feel infront of the listener and more better differentiation felt between instruments placed on slightly infront of you to something placed far infront of you.

RESOLUTION-The resolution is pretty great for its price. The every nuance is really felt and heard properly but an effort has to be given for the same. N6ii has better resolution than this .

POWAH PROVIDED -This thing is sufficient powerful to even run the 300 ohm HPs with ease.
My A30s is like half of this thing power at 16 ohm.
My Sundara and focal clear are like nothing for this amp , high gain vol 30 is sufficient for me on my Sundara which is the hardest to drive HP that I own.
I did not hear any noise with my HPs or iems like UM Mest 2 , Shozy pola or even the VE Ve6xc. It's dead silent all the way.

MODDING-
Now how to check the orientation while changing the opamps, I have described in my previous post please check here or you can even use the manual here
Using discrete opamps against the Ne5532D in the I/V Stage Dual OPAMPS X2

Using V5D - changes that I felt - Better dynamics , Better/ nearly equal clarity , Treble energy increased , More lean bass , More taller Soundstage, a little more musical

Using V6 vivid dual - changes that I felt - Better dynamics , Musical and sparkly treble , A slightly increased punch in bass , More taller and wider soundstage , more musical presentation.

Comparisons- Between My topping D50 and A30s

Pros
of Playmate 2 - Staging , Separation , Bass definition , Subbass , Treble airyness , Nearly equal energy , Resolution tiny bit better , powahh

Cons of Playmate 2 - Less tall , Less timbre , lean vocals and mids

Between N6ii with T01 module / A30s (burson v5i D)

Pros
of Playmate 2- Stage , Separation nearly equal , Powah

Cons of Playmate2- Resolution, height , thickness of vocals , mids and dynamics , less timbre

Summary - This is an neutral, slightly musical DAC - AMP with class A power and at the price it's being sold for, at its a steal deal. The option of easily modding the opamps to change the sound is a really easy and imo worth the money . I would highly suggest to use the v6 vivid if there's an option to add it or get the V5D otherwise, (since they are cheaper) as they are quite near to each other.
Though - Why 4/5- The Addition of OPAMPS are a nice touch but they add extra cost, No Bluetooth and No balanced output or Other input options And they cost 544$-744$
IMG_2360.jpg

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #30 of 57
Would also be interested to review this amp. Hope this gets to the Philippines.

• Name: Ronnie San Jose
  • City and state only( don’t post full address): Manila, Philippines
  • Please post a photo of your current headphone set up and a list of components in your setup: I currently have HD800, LCD2C and HD650 for cans and a Questyle CMA600i for dac/amp.
received_334313831441905.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back