Burning loseless audiophile track to audiophile CD-R
Sep 7, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes bad CDRs are crap, Taiyo Yuden is the best hands down.

parrot:
That is precisely why many people are storing their lossless music on a PC.

I still keep my whole CD library in the computer, but sometimes I don't even want to keep my computer turned on when I'm listening to music, so I recently got a cheap transport and also started to look for the differences between different brands of CD-Rs. That little comparison that I did was just a dead simple physical comparison, but it is enough to persuade me to get at least branded CD-Rs for audio purpose.

Sep 7, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #17 of 38
Branded doesn't mean anything... for example, sony CDrs and many others by respectable brands are complete and utter crap. You have to realize that 90% of the time, they are still just the same generic CDR's which other companies buy for real cheap and slap their name on.

Sep 7, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #18 of 38
Computer-Driven Audio - Is it Superior to Optical-Based CD Playback?
>> http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/nugent.htm

The pits in a CD have two attributes, the data and the timing. The data is encoded in the depth of the pits. The timing information is the physical placement of the pits. When CDs are created, the master has jitter in the pits, and the manufacturing process that fabricates the duplicates creates even more jitter. This is easy to verify. If you rewrite the CD on a CDROM with a good CD writer, the duplicate will usually sound significantly better than the original. This was demonstrated to me by Mark Hampton of Zcable, who created some excellent CD-R's and shared some of them at 2005 CES in Las Vegas. The improvement was not subtle. Several other manufacturers are duplicating CDs on CD-Rs for their own use, and they even insist on using special CD-R media.

Sep 7, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #19 of 38
I've burned and checked hundreds of CD and DVD blanks. Taiyo Yudin is the best I've found. Less than one error in 200 disks. No coasters yet. That is low enough for me. I get mine at Supermediastore

See ya
Steve

Sep 7, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Branded doesn't mean anything... for example, sony CDrs and many others by respectable brands are complete and utter crap. You have to realize that 90% of the time, they are still just the same generic CDR's which other companies buy for real cheap and slap their name on.

Sorry I didn't make it clear. At least I examine them to see they aren't crap physically. I just tried to show that there are actual physical differences between craps and quality ones.

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

That is true to some extent, but right now Taiyo Yuden is as cheap as those, check onlinep rices, and in bulk they are evne cheaper, why taking chances, then, What I ahve read and heard is that some other respectable brands get the CDs from Taiyo Yuden, Ritek, etc...as well, and rebranded them, same as Verbatim, Imation, TDK, Fuji, Philips, Ritek, and many others, the do not manufature anything...The problem is that they are not consistent with the suppliers, one day they got one from a good supplier and the next model is pure crap, as you say...but not all Sony are crap, and not all respectable brands are crap...some fo them are indeed Taiyo Yuden, Ritek, etc...rebranded

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My experience mirrors your 1st answer. Your 2nd answer only works when the original CD is also of good quality. So no scratches, fingermarks, etc.

Take your scratched CD, wash it, wipe it, rip it with EAC - it there were errors it'll complain. Otherwise you're fine. What's true is that if EAC didn't complain means it could read everything, but it doesn't mean your CD player will be able to. So, rip your CD, get a good quality (not necessarily "the best") blank, and burn it on moderate speed, not too high, not too low - your copy will work better then the original, simply because it's a brand new CD - no scratches or fingers.

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #24 of 38
shrugs...

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #25 of 38
The cable brings up a good point. If a power cable affects the audio of an amp or CD player, why wouldn't the power cable or even the computer power supply affect the burning of a CD? Again, it only seems cables make a difference when you want them to. Why are the stock computer cables OK to burn a CD, but not good enough to listen to?

Also wouldn't you have to make sure that your CD Rom and CD burner is fully "burned in" before copying CDs?

Serious question folks, why is it burn in and cables are only mentioned when people don't like their new gear?

Sep 7, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Serious question folks, why is it burn in and cables are only mentioned when people don't like their new gear?

To get them past the 14 day return period so they can't get their money back.

See ya
Steve

Sep 8, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about quality of CD-R I use? I think it has important role to keep error less for playing back music.

the device doing the copying matters too
marantz price their 1x dedicated cd copiers at $699 because the real picky audiophiles buy them to shield the copying process from EM radiation inside the computers

Sep 8, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

marantz price their 1x dedicated cd copiers at $699 because they know audiophiles will just pay more money

I fixed that for you. If the copy is bit perfect and the checksums match, what does the EMI do to your recording?

Sep 8, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

The cable brings up a good point. If a power cable affects the audio of an amp or CD player, why wouldn't the power cable or even the computer power supply affect the burning of a CD? Again, it only seems cables make a difference when you want them to. Why are the stock computer cables OK to burn a CD, but not good enough to listen to?
Also wouldn't you have to make sure that your CD Rom and CD burner is fully "burned in" before copying CDs?

I will add even more, now forget about the AC side, that we always discuss here, and is more prone to voodoo belief.....
rolleyes.gif

Now just think on the DC cables, that comes out of the noisy switching PSU, in a very noisy environment, and that goes to the burner, player, HD etc...they are indeed on the DC side, the side of the power that has been proved and 100% demostrated that really matters to the audio performance as is the DC what makes everything works, not AC....what a ton of BS, right?.....
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

One more time beleive what you want guys, but till now voodoo, and snake oil, is not studied in any university or college yet, thanks God!!!!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Sep 8, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

marantz price their 1x dedicated cd copiers at $699 because they know audiophiles will just pay more money.

Quote:

I fixed that for you. If the copy is bit perfect and the checksums match, what does the EMI do to your recording?

Yeah, I wondered this. A $50 drive will rip 'perfectly'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back