burning in soundmagic PL-30's
Dec 23, 2008 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

oli_ramsay

Head-Fier
I got a pair of soundmagic with my E5 from mp4nation a couple of days ago and I'm quite unimpressed with the bass of these headphones. It's hardly there at all and isn't very deep at all (whether the knob is turned to "clear" or "deep" bass).

Anyway my question is; will the bass get much deeper/stronger after burning them in? What's the main thing that changes after burn-in?

thanks
dt880smile.png

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 10
Since no one here has responded to your questions, I'll take a stab at it: 1) The bass should get better, but it depends on how "much deeper/stronger" you are expecting. Since you did not indicate what type of headphones and the kind of music you listen to, it's hard to answer the question as it pertains to you. Your problem sounds like it may be more of a fit issue. The PL30's are not really bassy earphones but the bass shouldn't be "hardly there". 2) What changes to the sound quality after burn-in is that the process allows the headphones to deliver their maximum sound design potential. You are in essence stretching back and forth the diaphragm of the drivers with sound, thus "breaking" them in. The amount of change and burn-in depends on the design of the driver (i.e. dynamic vs. aperture) and electronics/crossover. If my answer is too vague or generic, maybe one of the other more knowledgeable members can chime in and help out.
smile.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 10
I have a pair of them, got them for $19, and I can't maintain a good seal no matter what, so that could be the issue. Try the little black foamies that came with them, or a pair of Comply T400s. To me, they are not very good, but could sound decent with a good seal. And the OEM silicone tips were lousy in my view. But what do you want for $20?

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the reply
smily_headphones1.gif

I mostly listen to hip hop and rock, they do seem to be getting a little bit bassier (been burning them in for about 30 hours now). I've also swapped the tips for the ones on my EP-630s and the fit's a bit better.

I guess only time will tell.

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They work for me on canalphones. Did you try the little black foamies that came with them? Complys would cost more than the phones, if you got them for $19.

Yea, I tried the little black ones that came with them, though they were comfortable, they didn't provide a good seal. I can get the T-400 tips for £11 on amazon and the phones themselves cost me about that, but if it results in a good seal then it'll be worth it I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back