Burning-in my super.fi 5 EB's, need specific advice
Sep 27, 2009 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

musik_lover

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

So let me say i'm no "expert" in headphones and I never knew about this burning in until I started reading reviews about the super.fi 5eb's and then bought them.

I have had Shure E2C's but did not like them (because I listen to hip-hop, R&B, rap, reggaeton, and reggae). Then I bought Seinhouser PX-100's which I was using for a long time happily (not knowing any better).

So, now I've just bought the EB's and got them in the mail yesterday. I spent some time listening to some music (maybe 4-5 hours) and of course, when I put it at high volumes it didn't sound good.

So i've been reading about burn-in's but haven't found anything "specifically" for these headphones...

So I went to Burn-in wave files: white noise, pink noise, frequency sweep, channel mix and gotten plenty of there files to make a playlist (along with a couple other heavy bass testing mp3's around the web).

My plan was to put all those on my ipod and add a "silence" file so it could jsut loop infinitely for a few days (72-100 hrs). My question is the following:

I read at the: Burn-in wave files: white noise, pink noise, frequency sweep, channel mix site that "experts" say not to burn-in constantly more than 5 hours at a time and to give the headphones a break. So my playlist I've made is 5 hours long and then has a 1 hour silence file.

So will that be OK and not damaging to my new Super.fi 5 EB's? To sum it all up:

- 5 hours (tones, sweeps, pink noise, white noise)
- 1 hour silence
- Leave playing for 72 hours straight

What do you all think?

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 15
no burn in necessary.

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks for your reply but I do believe in burn-in... When I first listened to the headphones they sounded "ok" but at high volumes, they hurt my ears and did not sound good.

Many people have said about the super.fi 5 EB's that after burn-in they were able to listen at higher volumes and the sound was much clearer.

So people who DO believe in burn-in, do you think my settings/set-up/playlist is ok?

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 15
I think it's true because 5EB is dual driver IEMs(one dynamic and one AMB) and dynamic driver(for bass range) need some burn in to shows it's best.

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 15
It's your belief that makes it real.

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 15
I personally didn't believe in burn-in but I got EBs as well and noticed a difference on mine. The frequency graph changed on mine although I don't have the original nor a scanner to show the original one. I got to test it one the HMS.II 3 head and torso ear simulator.

I think part of the reason is that that huge driver for low frequencies needed a little breaking in. The high and most mid frequency parts of the chart didn't really fluctuate between the 3 months. It was the Low end that changed. It got even lower, definitely more accurate, and in my own ears I could certainly detect a good deal less muddiness in the bass than after 3 months.

I didn't do "burn-in" scientifically though because I didn't believe in it. Just alot of bass test tracks when I got them in and regular listening of trance/rap music.

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 15
Pardon me. Don't mind my last few posts. Quite frankly I do not know who to believe when it comes to burn in, and I am far less knowledgeable than many others on this forum.

Sep 27, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 15
so it is "OK" and "safe" to run my burn-in process like i stated:

- 5 hours non-stop (frequency sweep, pink noise, white noise, random bass testers around the net)
- 1 hour silence between each 5 hour loop
- leave this going for 72 continuous hours
- At about 75-80% volume

That is safe/ok for my brand new super.fi 5 EB's yes or no?

Sep 28, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 15
Though I'm not 100% sure if I believe in it for many components, from what I've read it seems the general consensus is that should be safe as long as you're not running the headphones at very high volume levels.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #11 of 15
Yes, it will be ok. I prefer to let them burn in as I listen. Takes longer, but I like listening for changes (or at least my perception of them, for all you naysayers)

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #13 of 15
i noticed a difference with the sf5 pro after about 50 hours or so, over about 3 days . Out of the box they weren't as good.

Sep 29, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #15 of 15
i've been using the 5eb almost on a daily basis for the past year and its definitely a fun iem. From my experience you need to burn them in for at least 200 hrs and i prefer using bass heavy tracks as opposed to white / pink noise. I gather the dynamic bass driver needs far more burn in time than its BA unit. I would let it play on a slightly above average volume for about 8 -10 hrs a day. Seems to work for me w/o any adverse effects. Enjoy your 5eb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back