Burning in my earpods
Dec 27, 2012 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bneundh

New Head-Fier
So I'm about to burn-in my earpods with regular songs .. is it safe to burn it at max volume on my 120GB ipod classic ? The audio doesn't sound distorted so .. I think it's safe . is it ?

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 12
So I'm about to burn-in my earpods with regular songs .. is it safe to burn it at max volume on my 120GB ipod classic ? The audio doesn't sound distorted so .. I think it's safe . is it ?

Set the EQ to flat, and use about 3/4 volume. As long as there's no distortion you're fine.

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 12
by the way , when I first tried it , I unknowingly left the EQ to bass booster (I thought it's  on flat) and then I heard some music , and the kickbass is distorted . I think it's just the way the music sounds , turned out it's set to bass booster . will it damage my earpods ? (I'm listening it on around mid to upper volume level )

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 12
No it won't damage them for a short amount of time, I wouldn't leave them like that for hours. As long as there's no distortion you're fine. You can either set your EQ flat and have a louder volume (3/4) or set the bass boost on and use a lower volume before distortion kicks in. Up to you which you choose, most of all you just want the drivers moving.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 12
I really love my earpods for walking around in (you can still hear traffic!) but I really don't think they will benefit from burn in. I have a couple hundred hours on mine and there is absolutely no change in sound whatsoever. Also, I'd be careful with high volumes.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 12
I'd burn them in with pink noise. Really incredible results compared to normal song. Just get a sample, set it to loop at slightly above safe listening levels.

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #8 of 12
Pink noise , eh ? I'll try it . thanks for the suggestion ! by the way  , how long should I burn it and should I take a rest in between or just burn it continuously ? and , If I use pink noise , would 75% volume be too loud ? ( there's no distortion while playing normal music at 100% using flat eq by the way )

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #10 of 12
A burn-in course from China(erji.net)
1. Use pink noise or white noise as sourse
2. Burn 24h using normal volume at the first time
3. Take a 4h rest
4. Use a higher volume (loudest volume your ear accept) burn for 8~12h
5. Take another 4h rest
6. Redo 1~5 for about one week
7. No need burning anymore, just enjoy music
*DO NOT USE THE VOLUME YOUR EAR CANNOT ACCEPT! IT MAY DAMAGE YOUR EARPHONES/HEADPHONES!

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #11 of 12
xyjames idea sounds great. I would not use white noise at all. That doesn't supply the frequencies that normal music does, and doesn't burn in the parts you use.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
I really love my earpods for walking around in (you can still hear traffic!) but I really don't think they will benefit from burn in. I have a couple hundred hours on mine and there is absolutely no change in sound whatsoever. Also, I'd be careful with high volumes.

Correct! I have two pairs, one new, one refurbished, both sounded great right out of the box. 

Adding foam covers improves fit and SQ significantly. These are very low maintenance and very high quality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back